Batting in career mode is a serious issue

why when I play late does the ball go up in the air anyway? or a 6 end up being a skier?

surely if your late the problem is the bat is further up the backswing thus pointing the ball too much at the ground?

Depends on the shot, and how late too. I mean, if you're rolling your wrists and play it *too* late, the bat will make contact mid-roll, and the ball could go anywhere! If it's a straight bat, then it ought to go to ground though.

Playing late does not seem to assist very much in keeping the ball on the ground for straight bat shots, unfortunately.

Playing late does not seem to assist very much in keeping the ball on the ground for straight bat shots, unfortunately.

Ideal and or late timing seems to work for playing through the covers or through midwicket though. Even a square cut seems to stay grounded with good timing and footwork. The problem is, as we all know by now, primarily with straight drives.

Ideal and or late timing seems to work for playing through the covers or through midwicket though. Even a square cut seems to stay grounded with good timing and footwork. The problem is, as we all know by now, primarily with straight drives.

I'd like to see an example of cover drive that goes straight to ground off a decent length delivery. If there's a short cover in I get caught every time.

Mondy

it's the skiers I'm confused about, surely a late lofted shot doesn't loft enough, not too much. I've just been thinking about that having been caught out a few times in one dayers. I launch it in to the long off spot but it goes so high long on has a day to run under it. surely the worry should be mid on can catch it going over his head.

I'd like to see an example of cover drive that goes straight to ground off a decent length delivery. If there's a short cover in I get caught every time.

Mondy

I can give lots of examples (with no modifiers too). I record every second of my gameplay so it will take time to review the footage, but nevertheless, I can provide examples.

I can give lots of examples (with no modifiers too). I record every second of my gameplay so it will take time to review the footage, but nevertheless, I can provide examples.

That'd be fantastic. I'm willing to accept that I'm playing the shot wrong or not timing it correctly.

I'd also like to see evidence of pull shots and cut shots being hit to ground.

Mondy

That'd be fantastic. I'm willing to accept that I'm playing the shot wrong or not timing it correctly.

I'd also like to see evidence of pull shots and cut shots being hit to ground.

Mondy

I don't cut too often as I tend to play short balls down the legside. I never late cut, but when I do play short to the off side it's generally square cuts. I'm not going to pretend it's every time, but a fair few will go to ground if you play it often enough. The problem is, they are frequent "out shots", in that it only takes a bad one to get you out, and that can very easily be your first attempt.

I don't cut too often as I tend to play short balls down the legside. I never late cut, but when I do play short to the off side it's generally square cuts. I'm not going to pretend it's every time, but a fair few will go to ground if you play it often enough. The problem is, they are frequent "out shots", in that it only takes a bad one to get you out, and that can very easily be your first attempt.

How about the pull shot? Do you find yourself getting caught at forward square leg or are you keeping them down?

How about the pull shot? Do you find yourself getting caught at forward square leg or are you keeping them down?

To be honest, you'd be pretty crazy to be pulling when there is a forward square leg. That said, a great many times I am pulling off the front foot, and it goes through midwicket down to the boundary between deep midwicket and deep square leg. It tends to stay pretty low or even zips along the ground when I get it right like that.

I never play short balls off the back foot. I prefer to attack the ball head on. Perhaps the difference is that my pulls are being struck when the ball is lower, hence easier to keep down.

Actually I've been getting some straight drives away for four off the spinners over the last couple of days.

Against the quicks I tend to play slightly at mid on instead of straight. Never had a problem popping up to mid on, but I get out nicking off sometimes.

The other thing is, I think fractional differences in players' timing or footwork habits can make a big difference. I play the front foot pull a lot but mine usually go square or behind vs pace and midwicket vs medium.

Last edited:
The other thing is, I think fractional differences in players' timing or footwork habits can make a big difference. I play the front foot pull a lot but mine usually go square or behind vs pace and midwicket vs medium.

You've raised a good point here. For pulling, it would seem that my natural timing and foot placement rarely results in a shot to square, but clearly in your case that appears to be the norm.

Different strokes for different folk, quite literally!

It'd be really handy to have some demo shots from a few different players with a controller graphic so it's clear exactly what the stick patterns are.

Also the difficulty setting factors in as well. It's almost certainly harder to keep the ball down on higher settings, so some techniques might only be viable at lower levels.

True. I hold my hands up and say that I play on Pro. If someone who plays higher wants to disagree with any of my claims, then I'm in no position to argue! haha :lol

Users who are viewing this thread