Batting in career mode is a serious issue

I wanted to see what the max difficulty was like so I created a max height / max arm speed / max strength / max skills West Indies quick bowler and put him on the Hampshire staff for my career mode.

He's pretty sharp and bouncy.

eta On another note, I'm now sufficiently used to pro cam to know if I'm lbw before the finger goes up. It's another thing that just reminds me of real batting. You just know when you're in trouble as soon as it hits the pad.

Yeah , had a couple I thought were going down leg side , but then straightened off the pitch ...oh oh

Have to say again pro-cam is pretty frickin awesome once you get your head around it.

Then once you feel you can play most of the time without premeditating , its a completely different game , it feels like you are there.

Just got picked for Aussie the T20 side as an opener , played Sri Lanka , actually cared about winning/performing/making a decent score to keep my spot. Noticed at international they are placing better fields and easy runs are harder to come by.

Anyone got any tips in a test batting for a lengthy period, Im really struggling on pro level. My biggest problem is getting caught LBW, even when I try playing defensive to anything straight I seem to get problems against the decent bowlers. Most frustrating dismissals are when a) batsman seems to attempt a leave at a ball thats plum b) batsman moves across wicket to play a defensive shot instead of just staying put, thus leaving wicket open to be bowled.

I presume some of this is my fault with the sticks but at times it doesnt feel Ive done anything different to the same shot ive played 3 times before in that over.

I love this game because its hard to bat but seriously, its hard isnt it.

Probably the wrong thread here but I was sure that the 2nd enforced upgrade to skill only happened after selection to international ranks.
I find myself after just two seasons and no internationals to have been elevated to the 3rd level skill. Is this correct?

Neil W

Probably the wrong thread here but I was sure that the 2nd enforced upgrade to skill only happened after selection to international ranks.
I find myself after just two seasons and no internationals to have been elevated to the 3rd level skill. Is this correct?

Neil W

I think it's a bug, based on what BigAnt have previously said about the level increases.

Worth posting in the bugs thread, just in case, IMO.

Anyone got any tips in a test batting for a lengthy period, Im really struggling on pro level. My biggest problem is getting caught LBW, even when I try playing defensive to anything straight I seem to get problems against the decent bowlers.

My perception is that lbws are primarily the result of variable pace, which is difficult to read from the first 10% or 15% of a delivery on a computer screen. If the cpu threw slower ball yorkers all the time I think I might be in trouble. I haven't had too much of a problem defending, though, as the timing window is more generous. I'm always out playing around my front leg.

Most frustrating dismissals are when a) batsman seems to attempt a leave at a ball thats plum

you mean when you accidentally hit RS3?

b) batsman moves across wicket to play a defensive shot instead of just staying put, thus leaving wicket open to be bowled.

I presume some of this is my fault with the sticks but at times it doesnt feel Ive done anything different to the same shot ive played 3 times before in that over.

Yeah I've been looking into this for a while, haven't found a way to stop it happening and I think it's something that needs fixing, because it's just not something that happens in real cricket unless the blind school is playing.

I can't record a stream with a controller feedback graphic on my ageing pc though so it's difficult to be sure whether its a genuine bug or just punishing a slight mistake too severely.

I thought it might be a mismatch between my concept of how the LS works and how it really works : my instinct was that if I wanted to move my batsman slightly right or left from his current position, I'd give the LS a little nudge left or right, but I think the LS might work on absolute position relative to the centre of the crease.

So lets say I'm batting on leg stump (and whilst I'm on the subject, pro cam needs a way of taking guard so I don't have to switch cameras all the time to check) to open up the offside against a spinner, and he drops it onto off stump. If I nudge the LS to take me from leg to off stick, maybe the game is still mapping this to a central position so instead of inputting a slight movement towards off my guy steps well outside off stick and gets bowled.

The thing is it's still happening even after I decided to stick with a middle stump guard to try and avoid it, and it happens with him stepping leg side sometimes and I never take guard on off stick.

It's seriously irritating, whatever the cause.

Yeah if you hit the right stick hard you can accidentally trigger r3 and that's the control for leaving the ball.

It's a controller mapping decision that's caused problems for quite a lot of people, though touch wood it hasn't got me out recently.

I'm trying a new thing where I approach every delivery, usually with a premeditated foot position, holding down the block button and then, if I'm going on the offensive trying to pull down on the left trigger for anything wide or short (as these are hit hard and along the ground with both triggers held) or if I'm trying to take a single take my hand off the right trigger and play the shot.

all in all i kinda like that's it made the whole process a bit more indepth as it feels like there's more I can do now.

the bad side though is it's an extra thing to do which means I'm sure I'm late more often and hence I'm getting caught LBW a lot more often. also when I'd like to pull sometimes it goes for the big heave across the line, which is missing and either causing lbws or bowleds. I'm also messing it up a fair bit too but I dunno maybe with some practice this might be the best way for me.

I wanted to see what the max difficulty was like so I created a max height / max arm speed / max strength / max skills West Indies quick bowler and put him on the Hampshire staff for my career mode.

He's pretty sharp and bouncy.

eta On another note, I'm now sufficiently used to pro cam to know if I'm lbw before the finger goes up. It's another thing that just reminds me of real batting. You just know when you're in trouble as soon as it hits the pad.

How do you feel about the Pro cam when you are at the non striker's end?
The constant head movement makes me feel a little nauseous. :eek:

yeah I'd like head control with the right stick at all times when running, because it is really wobbly and it doesn't track the ball that well. I got run out loads before I got used to it.

a game is for having fun..and if its not fun than its not a game. dbc 14 is the most pathetic game ever. Rubbish batting, bowling, controls ever. no radar and pitch reticule resulting in judging the line of ball even more nightmarish than playing actual cricket. Analogue controller required to enable us play shots every where on the ground but reality is u have some tight corridors like EA CRICKET for every shot and no matter where u point ur shot, ball would not go where intented but to its fixed tight corridor. Check out Fifa where every version be it 2002 or 2014 has a radar but y the hell its not here (coz Developers rank themselves more revolutionary than even Fifa guys) - Now those fools who argue against reticules, radars and other essentials claiming this would make the game un realistic don't understand these could have been given in game with turn on/off option and if u want that much realism, y dont u nerds go play real cricket to feel realism :mad. Not every one want to do pointless guess work in batting and turn to helmet cam for fielding placements. Some people want to just have fun from a game. i can guarantee if ashes cricket 2009 is re-released with improved graphics, improved player physics, and more pace in fast bowling with a bit increased difficulty, it would beat the hell out of this Cricket looking crappy un playable piece of junk. :facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm
aFter wasting hours and hours of my precious time trying to suck fun from this game looking junk, im giving up. :facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:mad:mad:mad

Yeah I've been looking into this for a while, haven't found a way to stop it happening and I think it's something that needs fixing, because it's just not something that happens in real cricket unless the blind school is playing.

I can't record a stream with a controller feedback graphic on my ageing pc though so it's difficult to be sure whether its a genuine bug or just punishing a slight mistake too severely.

I thought it might be a mismatch between my concept of how the LS works and how it really works : my instinct was that if I wanted to move my batsman slightly right or left from his current position, I'd give the LS a little nudge left or right, but I think the LS might work on absolute position relative to the centre of the crease.

So lets say I'm batting on leg stump (and whilst I'm on the subject, pro cam needs a way of taking guard so I don't have to switch cameras all the time to check) to open up the offside against a spinner, and he drops it onto off stump. If I nudge the LS to take me from leg to off stick, maybe the game is still mapping this to a central position so instead of inputting a slight movement towards off my guy steps well outside off stick and gets bowled.

The thing is it's still happening even after I decided to stick with a middle stump guard to try and avoid it, and it happens with him stepping leg side sometimes and I never take guard on off stick.

It's seriously irritating, whatever the cause.

Funnily enough, International Cricket 2010 did a similar thing where you would play a straight defensive but your player would shuffle across the stumps and in that game you'd be LBW, here you get bowled. I don't believe it's anything to do with technique, I know when it's happened to me my LS is perfectly straight.

I'm trying a new thing where I approach every delivery, usually with a premeditated foot position, holding down the block button and then, if I'm going on the offensive trying to pull down on the left trigger for anything wide or short (as these are hit hard and along the ground with both triggers held) or if I'm trying to take a single take my hand off the right trigger and play the shot.

all in all i kinda like that's it made the whole process a bit more indepth as it feels like there's more I can do now.

the bad side though is it's an extra thing to do which means I'm sure I'm late more often and hence I'm getting caught LBW a lot more often. also when I'd like to pull sometimes it goes for the big heave across the line, which is missing and either causing lbws or bowleds. I'm also messing it up a fair bit too but I dunno maybe with some practice this might be the best way for me.

I tried that and found I was getting out far too often due to the small timing window to play aggressive ground shots.

My gameplan is the one that's been noted above. Have the defensive trigger down for the first 20 or 30 balls and only attack (that is let go of the trigger) if the ball is in the zone. Check the field constantly. Never play shots on the offside if there's a short cover. Try to minimise the front foot pull if there's a forward square leg. And never play the straight drive. Ever.

When I go out now it's because I haven't checked the field or I nick it to the keeper. I still find the uppish shots annoying, but if you work the field you shouldn't be getting out caught.

Still haven't scored a century - and the longest I've survived is about 20 overs - but I'm regularly scoring between 20 to 60 runs and have seen a bump in my FC average.

Mondy

I've been trying this too, but for me about 20% of the time I end up blocking when I didn't mean to.

I tried that and found I was getting out far too often due to the small timing window to play aggressive ground shots.

My gameplan is the one that's been noted above. Have the defensive trigger down for the first 20 or 30 balls and only attack (that is let go of the trigger) if the ball is in the zone. Check the field constantly. Never play shots on the offside if there's a short cover. Try to minimise the front foot pull if there's a forward square leg. And never play the straight drive. Ever.

When I go out now it's because I haven't checked the field or I nick it to the keeper. I still find the uppish shots annoying, but if you work the field you shouldn't be getting out caught.

Still haven't scored a century - and the longest I've survived is about 20 overs - but I'm regularly scoring between 20 to 60 runs and have seen a bump in my FC average.

Mondy

I tried a defensive approach like this. It just meant I scored no runs when I finally edged to the keeper, instead of a few runs.

I think I need to try some more.

Users who are viewing this thread