Batting in career mode is a serious issue

Based on the available evidence: it seems like he tried to get access to the downloads forum with the steam id "12345678"

Which is the funniest thing!

...seems totally legitimate to me?

Based on the available evidence: it seems like he tried to get access to the downloads forum with the steam id "12345678"

Which is the funniest thing!

I had a nosey last night after I saw his post. It definitely appears to be the case! Not sure if trolling or stupid, but I have my suspicions :lol

L4gyxe2.jpg

Ok well I'm really glad I decided to retry on legend / pro cam / no marker today because I just made a hundred. 100 from 67 balls, finished 109 from 79.

I honestly thought prior to switching the marker off that it was just going to be too difficult to be fun, but I'm enjoying things way more without the damn thing. It's much, much more like real batting. Different game, even.

I was a bit more limited in my shot selection than I normally am as I was really trying to hang around and get a score, but it's still a reasonably good spread of strokes. No cuts though as that shot is just too dicey with anyone in at point / gully.

I got a touch nervous when I got into the 70s, and a lot of the things I was thinking - about not getting out in a careless way missing a straight one or slapping a bad ball straight to a fielder - is the same sort of stuff I used to think when I was 70 or 80 not out in real life.

Conclusion = DBC pro cam / no hud absolutely rocks for realism, and it's definitely playable. It's already as a good a game as I could have optimistically expected, and there's loads and loads more potential.

I'd love to see 1st person fielding and bowling as well.

I've also started playing without the ball marker (procamera) , and definitely feel I premeditate way less against fast bowling than I used to , and feel like I have more time to play the shot.

My thinking is , the ball marker gives your mind an extra thought to make in the decision making process , which reduces the time you have to make the shot.

You are waiting to see what colour the marker is , then pick up the line , then choose a shot. Whereas without the marker , you are just picking up the line , and playing the shot. Over time you start to get a better feel for the length of the fast bowlers without having the market to distract.

Against spin and medium the marker is irrelevant anyway as you have plenty of time to pick up the length

In most situations , particularly if you are focussing on playing into the gaps , the length doesnt really matter that much , you will still play some sort of effective shot. The line is way more important.

Next thing I need to work out is edges/caught behinds. Nearly every dismissal in the game is caught behind . Doesn't matter whether it's a defensive shot or an attacking shot , it just seems like eventually I am going to get an edge. I've looked at the timing in the nets and even perfectly timed shots create snicks.

The current batting plan is to just try and make as many runs as I can before I get caught behind.

Yeah, I'm trying to work out the caught behinds.

I've wondered if pushing the left stick right forward for footwork might help against spin and also if angling your defensive shot a little bit legside produces fewer edges.

It's pretty difficult to test these theories, though.

I've wondered if pushing the left stick right forward for footwork might help against spin and also if angling your defensive shot a little bit legside produces fewer edges.
ya this works, though im only on veteran difficulty, callyT and inertspark gave this tip and its really made my innings stable against spin, there may still be times when you edge esp with fast away going delivery ,but mostly you are secure with defending slightly around 11 o clock and scoring of the loose ones.

Yeah, I'm trying to work out the caught behinds.

It's pretty difficult to test these theories, though.

There's something in that - you can test in the nets by not using pro-cam

I was playing around in the nets using far batsman mode so i could see what the batsmen does with certain stick movements . if the ball is pitched slightly down leg and you play a straight defensive or a defensive pushed to off , the batsmen leaps backwards and plays an ugly looking back away defensive , which is possibly where some of the edges come from - and also some of the played on to the stumps edges

If you push the stick to leg on the defensive is plays a better looking defensive shot - albeit slightly across the line, which might leave you exposed to LBW's if the timing isnt perfect.

Have seen the edges replicated in the nets - and the timing often says "ideal" - so I dont think its a timing thing, it might well be that some types of balls if bowled well , and even if played well enough , will just get you out with an edge.

What I would like to see is the damn sticky fingered keeper just drop one occasionally - or have it fall short of the keeper - or go between slips.

the one disadvantage of pro camera is not being able to see how you played a particular shot (until you replay it)

A large % of my caught behinds come from a good length ball from a left arm or right arm bowler , bowling around the wicket and on or just outside off-stump. its probably the ball that most right hand batsmen have trouble with irl - so its kind of realistic. I always hated left arm bowlers.

ya this works, though im only on veteran difficulty, callyT and inertspark gave this tip and its really made my innings stable against spin, there may still be times when you edge esp with fast away going delivery ,but mostly you are secure with defending slightly around 11 o clock and scoring of the loose ones.

are you able to play the ball on its merit?

ya absolutely, this is not premeditation, only when i feel i have to defend a ball i go for this.

are you able to play the ball on its merit?

You can usually spot from the drift/flight of the ball that it is going to be one of about 2 types of delivery. Just keep in mind what the ball might do if it doesnt turn, and play accordingly. Don't take any un-necessary risks that might get you out in the worst case scenario.

The vast majority of the time, playing straight bat is the way to go. If the fielders draw in close, you can bet that there are some lovely gaps in the outfield to loft a few over safely for 4 or 6 :D

Last edited:
The delivery that I seem to get out to most is the yorker length ball from a quickie when I 'pre-meditate' receiving another short delivery. My reactions just aren't quite quick enough to change my shot. Exactly how it should be. Clever bowling, poor batting. :(
I tell myself 'don't premeditate', but it's no use, I do it all the same.

The biggest problem I have with batting is that I find I am just not quick enough to perform a defensive shot unless I premeditate it against the quicks. I've tried having the trigger half-pressed but too often that doesn't play a defensive shot and if I press it in further then my reactions just aren't good enough to get off the trigger and play a shot in the 0.5 of a second (or whatever) you have to play.

Conversely, as a pure batsmen I seem to do pretty well with my bowling, without having any strategy or plan against the opposition or taking account of the field. I just pick a delivery, try to put some spin on it and there you go. I've never felt I've had to earn a wicket or put any real effort in; there's a real disparity between the disciplines - bowling is pretty easy, batting is very challenging. It's inconsistent.

This is as a 16-year old career player on Pro difficulty.

The biggest problem I have with batting is that I find I am just not quick enough to perform a defensive shot unless I premeditate it against the quicks. I've tried having the trigger half-pressed but too often that doesn't play a defensive shot and if I press it in further then my reactions just aren't good enough to get off the trigger and play a shot in the 0.5 of a second (or whatever) you have to play.

This is as a 16-year old career player on Pro difficulty.

I feel the degree of difficulty against the quicks is what makes the game interesting, it's the challenge.

Playing in the UK comp there's a lot more medium pacers , and it definitely makes batting easier . There is a real feeling of threat when you are playing against the very fast bowlers - I definitely like it.

I started the new career as a 21 yo , which I think has made things a lot easier too - having better skills makes a big difference.

I wanted to see what the max difficulty was like so I created a max height / max arm speed / max strength / max skills West Indies quick bowler and put him on the Hampshire staff for my career mode.

He's pretty sharp and bouncy.

eta On another note, I'm now sufficiently used to pro cam to know if I'm lbw before the finger goes up. It's another thing that just reminds me of real batting. You just know when you're in trouble as soon as it hits the pad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread