Battle of the Australians: Bill Brown vs Hugh Trumble

nightprowler10 said:
I like the idea of having Paul Reiffel in there instead of Syd Gregory, what do people think of that. Mike Hussey and Sid Barnes haven't played enough in my opinion but I'll keep them in mind. I'm also thinking of removing Jack Iverson from the list, who should replace him?

Replace him with Hussey if anyone I'd say. Also you never said this was the top 64 to play International cricket for Australia. What's it matter how much International cricket Barnes & Hussey have played? They've played a fair lot of first-class cricket with batting averages of 53-54.

Well if you're not going by games played then definitely Hussey and Reiffel should be in there. Haven't heard much of Barnes.

wfdu_ben91 said:
Replace him with Hussey if anyone I'd say. Also you never said this was the top 64 to play International cricket for Australia.
Fair point. But its a lot easier to acheive a 50+ batting average in FC cricket than it is on the international level. Anyway, I like Hussey as a choice and have included him in the list along with Reiffel in place of Syd Gregory and Jack Iverson.

nightprowler10 said:
Many thanks to the guys who took their time looking through the list. I'm not sure how it could be more pointless than Cricksim, vCash, rep points, Stick Cricket league, etc. But to each their own, I guess. To me, this could be a chance for some people to look at stats of the players of the past and maybe learn something about them.

I didn't say it was more pointless than those :p I just meant like all threads along the lines of "Who's better than who", it's fairly meaningless, but doesn't mean don't go ahead with it. Helps pass the time, as you said, some people might learn something, so by all means push on :)

I will however be fairly dissapointed if someone like Hussey who barely has a years worth of international cricket to his name knocks out some players who have "lower averages" but decades worth of performances.

puddleduck said:
I will however be fairly dissapointed if someone like Hussey who barely has a years worth of international cricket to his name knocks out some players who have "lower averages" but decades worth of performances.

You mean Syd Gregory? Whose batting average never past 30? The chances are by this time next year Hussey would've already made more runs then Gregory with about a 60 innings buffer. Hell his already made more first-class runs then him and Gregory and his played less then 200 innings' then him! You can hardly justify an average of 24 back then to an average of 75 today because I'm sure there was players with batting averages of 50+

Last edited:
wfdu_ben91 said:
You mean Syd Gregory? Whose batting average never past 30? The chances are by this time next year Hussey would've already made more runs then Gregory with about a 60 innings buffer. Hell his already made more first-class runs then him and Gregory and his played less then 200 innings' then him! You can hardly justify an average of 24 back then to an average of 75 today because I'm sure there was players with batting averages of 50+

Err no... Read my post again........... ok done? I said read it again not carry on reading this one....... ok good. I was talking about when it actually starts if he came up against someone like say Allan Border and knocked him out. Nothing has started yet, so he has knocked noone out.

Right then, here we go. Voting will last 24 hours. Hopefully everyone gets the concept now.

Round 1: Battle 1

Alan Davidson

Test: 44 matches, 1328 runs @ 24.59, 5 50s | 186 wickets @ 20.53, 14 5-fers, 2 10-fers

050080.player.jpg

vs

Jack Ryder

Test: 20 matches, 1394 runs @ 51.62, 9 50s, 3 100s | 17 wickets @ 43.70

058559.player.jpg

Alan Davidson.

Though Jack Ryder's batting seems to be good.

Alan Davidson for me. I don't know much about either player but from reading the cricinfo summaries he seems to have been a world-class player whereas Ryder was just a very good one.

gotta love lefties, go alan he had a rpo of 1.97 what a champion
alan for me

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread