Beta Patch Improvement Area Thread

Haha yeah, he was probably the better keeper during the Ashes :P

In Ricky Ponting 2007 I remember, there was an option in the match configuration screen to play a match in either unrealistic mode or realistic mode.

Realistic mode meant that it had fielding restrictions and things like that. Unrealistic meant there were no fielding restrictions, higher run rates, etc.

Maybe the should bring this into AC09.

Realistic: Fielding for every ball, only go for lofted shots when confident, etc

Unrealistic: Auto catching and fielding, go for lots of lofted shots.

Will add more later, can't think through this pain (Damn you orthodontics)

Are they making spin bowling more effective online? I think I'm one of the only players in the game with more than 50 hours online who doesn't play with 3 "FAST" bowlers and 4 Medium Fast Bowlers.

Are they making spin bowling more effective online? I think I'm one of the only players in the game with more than 50 hours online who doesn't play with 3 "FAST" bowlers and 4 Medium Fast Bowlers.

I always take that well-known Kiwi icon "Vitarri" with me when playing but he still gets clobbered a bit but the spin-bolwer has become more effective online but you really have to mix him up and be prepared to go for a few.

anything about final patch for PC??
Will be at the same time as consoles for the 'final' patch, they all need to go through a lot of testing prior to general release, though it is likely that something that is all but identical to the final patch will be released sooner.

The big thing is that the patched and original versions are incompatable online, which means when the final patch is released, you won't be able to play online with the original. So they have to make sure the patch is completely stable before doing that, because there is no going back once it is released.

The work on the console versions will probably pick up some PC bugs too, so it will be worth the wait.

But that's all just speculation from me.

Of course to answer your actual question, no there is no time when the GamePlanet version of the patch will be out, they have to do some work themselves to get a patch out, that is out of the control of Codemasters and Transmission.

To Transmission: Take as long as is needed, but make sure you get it 100% right!

For people who don't know about this site, how will they get the patch?

Maybe when you try to log in to the online game, unpatched an option should come up saying that you need to patch the game, and ca do so straight from the online server.

Like in International Cricket Captain 2008 and 2009 ;)

To Transmission: Take as long as is needed, but make sure you get it 100% right!

Maybe when you try to log in to the online game, unpatched an option should come up saying that you need to patch the game, and ca do so straight from the online server.

Like in International Cricket Captain 2008 and 2009 ;)

Thats exactly how it will be done. when you go online it will be compulsory to update. you wont be able to play online otherwise.

I *think* you will get the 'this version is not compatible with the online service' message, but there isn't something built into the PC version to do the ingame updates like ICC.

The official download will be on the Codemasters Codemasters Ashes 2009 website, so it won't be a matter of finding a thread on PlanetCricket.

On consoles you should get a message when you play the game when online, which accounts for the vast majority of users (though most will go along happily playing offline on the unpatched version).

Will be at the same time as consoles for the 'final' patch, they all need to go through a lot of testing prior to general release, though it is likely that something that is all but identical to the final patch will be released sooner.

The big thing is that the patched and original versions are incompatable online, which means when the final patch is released, you won't be able to play online with the original. So they have to make sure the patch is completely stable before doing that, because there is no going back once it is released.

The work on the console versions will probably pick up some PC bugs too, so it will be worth the wait.

But that's all just speculation from me.

Of course to answer your actual question, no there is no time when the GamePlanet version of the patch will be out, they have to do some work themselves to get a patch out, that is out of the control of Codemasters and Transmission.

well then, i think we poor people will have to spend again for buying the retail ver. i will never ever buy anything form gameplanet ever again.

thanks mate for the info

Last edited:
Slogging needs to be harder tbh, it's way to easy especially vs spin. Would also like batting to be a bit harder too, although it is pretty realistic now I'm afraid it'll be easy pickings once fully used to it.

Batting needs to be made more difficult. And when I say difficult, I really mean difficult. Right now, once you get used to things, hitting sixes is like a piece of cake. I am starting to lose interest in batting, as now I can actually slog any ball off the AI in any mode for a six. But this same me gets bottled for a very low score while playing with human opponents over the net. So yeah, AI needs to be more challenging. Othe than that, eveything is okay but unless hitting boundaries and sixes is made a bit harder, the game will soon become quite boring to play.

Last edited:
Yeah man, seriously they need to do something about the AI batting difficulty. At least in the HARD mode the bating should be hard.

Batting needs to be made more difficult. And when I say difficult, I really mean difficult. Right now, once you get used to things, hitting sixes is like a piece of cake. I am starting to lose interest in batting, as now I can actually slog any ball off the AI in any mode for a six. But this same me gets bottled for a very low score while playing with human opponents over the net. So yeah, AI needs to be more challenging. Othe than that, yeah, eveything is okay but unless hitting boundaries and sixes is made a bit harder, the game will soon become quite boring to play.

I agree here. You get used to the batting also because the AI bowls same line and length outside offstump or a short ball to hook. There are hardly any balls bowled by AI which are pitched up on the leg stump or the off stump. 90% of my shots are defensive backfoot coverdrive or a hook on the leg side plus the field settings just dont match the bowling. The predictive nature of the AI bowling is what bores me quickly.

Finally caught up with posts and here's my tuppence, in order of priority. Some of these observations may have been made before so apologies in advance if I'm reinventing the wheel:

1. Defensive fields in Tests. Should be defensive! Men on the boundary, men on the boundary, men on the boundary. It should be a challenge to score boundaries once a batsmen gets to 70 odd. Some of the CPU fields generally could do with some tweaking but I can deal with. Would be more realistic if there were long legs to most fields in tests and also third man in limited overs and the CPU tried to work the ball in these areas but that's probably for the next release.

2. CPU spinners overpitch too much and overpitch outside off too much.

3. CPU seam bowling needs to be less predictable. More line and length with the occasional short ball or yorker rather than four in a row.

4. Bouncers need some venom.

5. Spinners a bit too easy to hit (from both user and CPU point of view).

6. CPU turns down easy singles/doesn't push for three. I realize that this is a balance with the run out bug but perhaps CPU needs to be slightly more aggressive?

7. Overpitched deliveries should be easier to hit than good length balls - batsmen have more time to see it and play it, plus it's a half volley so easier to hit.

8. Bigger light green bowling zone for spinners.

That said, as a recent convert from EA Sh*te, the fact I've been able to pick out the only things that could do with tweaking, shows what a great game this is (or will be with some further development - like variable pitch and weather conditions, rain etc!).

Nice one Transmission :cheers

Users who are viewing this thread