OTHER Big Ant Studios Lacrosse - PlayStation3, Xbox360, PC

Thanks Chief! That information was totally new to me. It's a great concept IMO.

Here's an example of how Kickstarter works:

Creator sets a goal (IE how much they need to make the game).

There are different tiers of donations (for example, ?20 gets you a copy of the game, ?50 gets you that PLUS your face in the game, ?100 gets you those PLUS a custom artbook and soundtrack, ?500 gets you those PLUS a personal video message from the team, ?10,000 and you get to go to dinner with Ross and listed as Exec Producer etc etc)

The campaigns run for 30 days: you pledge your donation and, if at the end of 30 days their target has been met, the money is all taken from donators accounts and delivered to the developer. DONE!

It's fast becoming developer's route of choice: it means you can get all funding up front direct from fans and run the project as you see fit, reporting only to those fans. Plus you retain all the IP.
I reckon about 80% of the projects I see currently are proposing to use Kickstarter (or other crowdfunding sites, but KS is by far the biggest) and a whole new industry has been born in specializing in creating and publicizing these campaigns!

is kickstarter all or nothing? i.e. if you don't hit target you get nothing? (no funds taken). there's another one - indiegogo maybe - where you get the funds even if you don't hit target.

is kickstarter all or nothing? i.e. if you don't hit target you get nothing? (no funds taken). there's another one - indiegogo maybe - where you get the funds even if you don't hit target.
All or nothing, which is good because it means that you know what you're paying for. If you put $50 in for a game, but then they fall short and make a game they can do on a $20k budget, instead of the $210k budget that they are promoting the project based on - you probably wouldn't have invested.

This way if it gets done, it gets done right.

All or nothing, which is good because it means that you know what you're paying for. If you put $50 in for a game, but then they fall short and make a game they can do on a $20k budget, instead of the $210k budget that they are promoting the project based on - you probably wouldn't have invested.

god point. hadn't thought of it that way.

Dave - Yes: Indiegogo is basically just donation, whereas a KS only gets the money IF the funding goal is met in the 30 days.

Matt - There have been cases of developers getting funded, but then later finding out that they asked for too little money. Stuff gets missed quite commonly, like failing to account for taxes (or KS's cut: they take a percentage too), but more interestingly some of the more controversial cases have been when a developer has asked for a certain amount, but then raised much MORE than that. Because when they got extra, they tried to make a bigger game and failed to deliver.

That's quite a debated topic: if a dev pitches a $1m game and raises $4m, what should they do? Because I, for example, am pledging $20 based on their pitch for the $1m game: that's the game I want. If the developer changes the scope of the game to meet the $4m raised, it's a risk that they might over-run (or run out!).
But the other option is that the dev merely pockets the extra $3m?

Ross, is driving our car and going to the airport going to be a feature of DBC career mode, or is it Lacrosse specific?

? Immortal Mode (Unlocked at $580,000) - Progress from a Native American playing lacrosse in the 1600s to a superstar lacrosse player in the future of 2050.
*checks for $580k behind the couch*

Can't believe there is going to be a Lacrosse game & no field hockey :(

Omg, that airport <3

----------

Who is the Don Bradman of Lacrosse that this game could be name after :P

I assume he meant field hockey.

Someone tried and failed literally a week ago doing a very similar thing for field hockey. Perhaps a worrying indicator of the chance of success here.

As per Matt's post the other day...

Mind you, that is a pretty awful KS campaign in key areas:
- The absolute cardinal no-no is having nothing to actually SHOW people what the game might be like, and they show very little and have no real pedigree to lean on.
- They have managed very little coverage as well: you really need to be publicizing it like you would a finished game.
- Their total goal is really REALLY big, which without proving they can do it makes people wary. In fact, their goal is more than DOUBLE the Lacrosse game, despite having nothing to show AND only a couple of extra months to make it.
- At peak they had only raised 5% of their goal. Again, this makes people wary.
And those are just the highlights...

Looks like those guys will probably have another go at it later though. Ross: give them a call? :)

----------

yeah that bit sounds amazing - got me excited and i know NOTHING about Lacrosse...

Yeah, that "Legacy Mode" sounds awesome... (Crosses fingers)

Last edited:
I like that if you pledge $45 you get a PC copy as well as a console copy

While we're relating this to DBC14. Doesn't this sound grand?

Classic Games (Unlocked at $465,000) - Recreate all of the amazing moments over the last 30 years of lacrosse and change the course of history.

Ross, is driving our car and going to the airport going to be a feature of DBC career mode, or is it Lacrosse specific?

It isn't and it isn't in Lacrosse 14 either - Carlo made an error in putting up a placeholder video as the kickstarter isn't meant to be live yet - it is being fixed right now.

----------

I like that if you pledge $45 you get a PC copy as well as a console copy

While we're relating this to DBC14. Doesn't this sound grand?

Difference is that Lacrosse 14 is digital, and a lot smaller budget, Don Bradman Cricket 14 will be retail.

----------

Omg, that airport <3

----------

Who is the Don Bradman of Lacrosse that this game could be name after :P

No one really compares to Don Bradman but there is a key guy :yes

Biggs is that name.

Users who are viewing this thread