Boxing

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
What time does the boxing actually start on saturday, i know the coverage starts at ten, but i just want to watch the actual hatton fight, not all the crap before.

Well, there are nearly always some good fights on the undercard, but if you only want to watch the main event, I think it gets underway sometime in the early hours, around 3am or 4am from what I can remember of the Mayweather fight. These Vegas events are always really long: you get your money's worth for sure.

Edit: Here are the booking details, from Sky Sports own site:

Ricky Hatton v Manny Pacquiao (IBO Light-Welterweight title), Humberto Soto v Benoit Gaudet (WBC Super-Featherweight Title) and undercard fights from MGM Grand, Las Vegas, plus Jamie Moore v Roman Dzuman (European Light-Middleweight title), Rendall Munroe v TBC (Commonwealth super-bantamweight title), Danny Williams v John McDermott (British heavyweight title), Tony Jeffries v Roy Meissner (Light-Heavyweight contest) plus undercard fights from the Crowtree Leisure Centre, Sunderland, is exclusively live on Sky Box Office and Sky Box Office HD on Saturday, May 2 from 10.00pm.

It will be repeated at 9.00am, 1.00pm, and 7.00pm on Sunday, May 3. Repeat shows will last three hours.

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Ah thanks for the info to late for me ill be tucked up into bed at 10am with my copy of razzle and my double intruder.

sd92

International Coach
Tonight is going to be a great night - I honestly can't wait. Some nice performances so far on the undercard. I've had a nice bet on Ricky to win, ?50 win at 3.6, another ?15 to win when he drifted to 4.1 (due to news of rift in the camp) and ?10 on him to win via points at 9.0. A total of ?75 staked and if he wins by points I get ?406.50, if he wins another way I get ?306.50 and if he loses I get nothing.

Needless to say, I'm very confident and bullish of Ricky's chances. COME ON RICKYYY!!

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Im up early and ready to watch. :banana2

The_gas added 32 Minutes and 9 Seconds later...

Wow that was a raping so not worth getting up for.

PhilD123

International Coach
Tonight is going to be a great night - I honestly can't wait. Some nice performances so far on the undercard. I've had a nice bet on Ricky to win, ?50 win at 3.6, another ?15 to win when he drifted to 4.1 (due to news of rift in the camp) and ?10 on him to win via points at 9.0. A total of ?75 staked and if he wins by points I get ?406.50, if he wins another way I get ?306.50 and if he loses I get nothing.

Needless to say, I'm very confident and bullish of Ricky's chances. COME ON RICKYYY!!
Unlucky mate.:(

Really wasn't worth staying up for that, hammered.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Was nodding off to a peaceful sleep. Now I'm disappointed. How many rounds did it last?

PhilD123

International Coach
2, but it was an ineveitable result after the first round really.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
haha sd92 :p oh well Ricky. He is that flawed it's amazing he has made it to this level. He spent too long defending a WBU belt and is now having to go for these big fights well past his best.

Pac-Maywether if Marquez loses to Mayweather.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman

Shouldn't bet that much on a boxing match anyway, especially one that could've gone either way (if Hatton hadn't just have steamed in, but as soon as he did, the writing was on the wall.)

Im up early and ready to watch. :banana2

The_gas added 32 Minutes and 9 Seconds later...

Wow that was a raping so not worth getting up for.

Complete waste of ?15! That's the danger with buying Boxing events: the main event can end in a round or two. At least with WWE, you get a guaranteed four hours, but I think Sky are out of order charging and extra ?15 for events when you're already paying ?30+ a month!

Still, let's be thankful that Ricky's OK now, and that he has the good sense to pack it in now, before he gets seriously hurt. I was very worried when I saw him go down like that and the way he was immediately afterwards; thoughts of Michael Watson drifted into my mind.

Chris Eubank vs. Michael Watson (in case anyone was too young to see the fight).

Thank God Ricky was OK.

Leave it now, eh Ricky? You'll always be a legend to us, Pound for Pound or no Pound for Pound.

MasterBlaster76 added 0 Minutes and 33 Seconds later...

haha sd92 :p oh well Ricky. He is that flawed it's amazing he has made it to this level. He spent too long defending a WBU belt and is now having to go for these big fights well past his best.

Pac-Maywether if Marquez loses to Mayweather.

That will be one hell of a fight!

sd92

International Coach
Oh well, you've got to take your losses as they come, and I won the ?75 back and some more today on the racing, so I'm not bothered. Hatton was very open, left himself wide open to those punches, but I am still a believer that he'd have won had it gone the distance.

For me, Pacquiao is still there for the taking. He hits very wide, and leaves himself a bit open. I think someone who's defensively sound could give the guy a run for his money and that guy comes in the shape of Floyd Mayweather who's tactically and defensively the best in the world. That will be a very interesting fight, for sure.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Anyone see PrizeFighter: The Cruiser Weights? Best one so far; upsets and knockdowns all over the place. It was won in the end by Ovill Mackenzie who is a natural light heavyweight apparently.

sd92

International Coach
Yes, I watched parts of it. I liked the black guy and he was the underdog all the time as he was a Light Heavyweight, as you say. I saw his quarter final fight and the other fighter looked so unfit that I thought he would win. The other guy looked fairly fat for 14stone. Had man boobs, the lot, so not sure what was going on there.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Yeh it was pretty decent. Said it before, prizefighter with punchers works.

Mayweathers in England tomorrow and Friday, got an exam which is a bitch because he's holding an open training session in London.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Boxing vs MMA?

Just wondering what y'all think to the future of boxing, given the massive rise of MMA around the world? Do you think Boxing will be able to survive in the near future, what with MMA's massive gain in popularity? I personally think we're seeing a similar thing to the T20 vs ODi contest in cricket. With the new, exciting sport starting to gain prominence over the old guard. We're already seeing Boxers starting to train in MMA, with guys like David Haye and Enzo Macronelli already starting MMA training.

MMA's seen a massive rise in profile and popularity in the last few years. With the UFC being a key part of that. It's starting to be taken seriously in England now, as proven by the current series of The Ultimate Fighter, which has seen the standards of the British guys' ground game really improve. I honestly don't think that Boxing will be able to survive. I like boxing, but MMA is so much more entertaining as far as I'm concerned and a far better all-round sport. Give it 15 years and I don't think Boxing will be anywhere near as popular as it is now, and could have all but died. Would be a shame, but I definitely think it's the way we're going.

What do you reckon?

Users who are viewing this thread