Story Brendon vs Callum vs Jono - A Worcestershire Battle

WA just flogged me..forgot about the batting powerplay too.:p Wouldn't have made much difference though.

Shall I post a match for today?
Or do you guys just want to play your one CC match?

28th June 2010
Worcestershire vs Leicestershire
County Championship -D2

Playing XI?s

Worcestershire

1. Daryl Mitchell
2. Vikram Solanki ? *
3. Alex Kervezee
4. Moeen Ali
5. Ben Smith
6. Jack Manuel
7. David Wheeldon
8. Imran Arif
9. Matthew Mason
10. Alan Richardson
11. Chris Russell

Leicestershire

1. Jacques du Toit
2. Will Jefferson
3. Jesse Ryder
4. Paul Nixon?
5. Tom New
6. Wayne White
7. Matthew Boyce
8. Jonathan Cobb
9. Claude Henderson
10. Nadeem Malik
11. Andrew Harris

Ben Cox is injured so Solanki continues to keep. Mitchell and Richardson come back to replace Smith and Jayasuriya. I have no international players due to both Jaques and Shakib being on international duty. Because of this I don't expect to do too well.

I won the toss and decided to bat. Ryder opened the bowling against us for some reason, which suggested the quality of their attack. Solanki and Mitchell made it to lunch without loss of wicket. After lunch they continued for a while, before Solanki was caught off Harris. We were averaging just over a hundred runs a session, with Mitchell unbeaten on 93* at tea. Shortly after the break he reached his century, but was dismissed shortly afterwards. Ali continued in his trademark aggressive manner before getting out just before the close of play for 70 (75). On the next day Kervezee missed out on a deserved century, out for 89 (218). Arif looked to continue his good batting form, and reached his half century before the tail collapsed, with Malik taking a hattrick. We finished on 521 from 167.4 overs.

Russell, who had been impressive in the T20s, took the first wicket, that of Jefferson. Apart from that however no more wickets were taken on the second day. du Toit was eventually out for 93 (134), but it looked like this match was heading towards a draw. Russell managed to take the important wicket of Ryder however, and two new batsman were at the crease. We were not able to take advantage of this however, as the batsmen kept going. Eventually they were all out for 492, 29 runs behind.

There was no point in trying to win the match so I just attempted to get the batsmen into form. Mitchell and Solanki played well, but the others didn't as we ended up on 249/8.

A good batting performance, but a very average bowling one. We did manage to take away more points than Leicestershire though (9 compared to 8).

37634296.png

Match Drawn

Worcestershire vs Lancashire
Twenty Over Cup - group match
5th July 2010

Teams:

Worcestershire

1. Phil Jaques
2. Daryl Mitchell
3. Vikram Solanki*?
4. Alex Kervezee
5. Shaaiq Choudhry
6. Ben Smith
7. Moeen Ali
8. James Cameron
9. Imran Arif
10. Matthew Mason
11. Alan Richardson

Lancashire

1. Mark Chilton
2. Paul Horton
3. Shivnarine Chanderpaul
4. Stephen Moore
5. Steven Croft
6. Tom Smith
7. Nathan McCullum
8. Luke Sutton?
9. Glen Chapple*
10. Kyle Hogg
11. Sajid Mahmood

Toss:

Lancashire won the toss, and chose to bat first.

Match:

Lancashire - 145 for 3 (20 overs)

Steven Croft 69* (48)
Shivnarine Chanderpaul 51* (51)

Imran Arif 3-19 (4)

Worcestershire - 138 for 3 (20 overs)

Daryl Mitchell 63* (44)
Alex Kervezee 53 (48)

Tom Smith 2-20 (4)

Result:

Lancashire win by 7 runs

Lancashire 2
Worcestershire 0

MOTM:

Steven Croft (69 not out off 48 balls)

Reaction:

Hmmm... That was one very strange game.

We dominated the first half of their innings, I decided to bowl both Arif and Mason through the first eight overs, but in the end that back fired as they dominated once they had both bowled out. Steven Croft took us apart, especially James Cameron who bowled three overs for 35.

We always seemed to have the chase under control, but in the end we somehow fell seven runs short with seven wickets still in the shed. Daryl Mitchell was the standout for us, bowling four overs for 26, and scoring a great 63 not out.

We have now slumped to rock bottom, even if we win our final five T20 games, we'll still finish last in our group.

28th June 2010
County Championship - D2

Teams:

Worcestershire

1. Daryl Mitchell
2. Vikram Solanki*
3. Moeen Ali
4. Alex Kervezee
5. Jack Manuel
6. David Wheeldon
7. Ben Cox?
8. Imran Arif
9. Gareth Andrew
10. Matthew Mason
11. Alan Richardson

Leicestershire

1. James Benning
2. Will Jefferson
3. James Taylor
4. Andrew McDonald
5. Paul Nixon?
6. Tom New
7. Wayne White
8. Matthew Boyce
9. Claude Henderson
10. Matthew Hoggard*
11. Andrew Harris

Toss:

Leicestershire won the toss and elected to bat first

Leicestershire - 534 all out

James Taylor 183 (330)
Andrew McDonald 121 (223)
Paul Nixon 92 (118)

David Wheeldon 3/131 (30)
Daryl Mitchell 2/31 (15.4)
Vikram Solanki 2/64 (13)

Worcestershire - 230 all out

Moeen Ali 83 (139)
Vikram Solanki 45 (124)

Andrew McDonald 4/46 (28)
Claude Henderson 2/31 (17)
Andrew Harris 2/49 (18)

Worcestershire (Following On) - 175/6 off 104 overs

Vikram Solanki 68 (259)
Daryl Mitchell 29 (159)

Matthew Hoggard 4/62 (29)
Claude Henderson 1/27 (20)

Match Drawn

Leicestershire 9
Worcestershire 4 (I picked up 1 batting point and 0 bowling points)

MOTM:

Andrew McDonald (121, 4/46 and 0/18 off 27 overs with 15 maidens)

Comments:

McDonald, maybe the most overrated player in the world, apart from Yuvraj completely ripped apart our team, scoring a century, before taking 4/46 and bowled 15 maidens in the second innings, finishing with 0/18 from 27 overs. The performance wasn't great, Leicestershire being bowled out for 534, before we could only reply with 230 thanks to Ali's 80 and Solanki's 45. Rain had helped us and we were sent back into bat, Mitchell and Solanki playing blinders, surviving 53 over's before the first wicket fell at 1/80, Mitchell out for 29, but the important part was he survived 159 balls. The first 7 over's were all maidens which showed our tactics early. Everyone did their job, to survive as long as they could, and we managed to get through until stumps on day 4 at 175/6, after 104 overs, a total of 35 maidens in the entire innings.

I guess I'll play one match today, therefore I'll be two T20 matches ahead of you guys, so you guys will just need to play two T20 matches today to catch back up with me. ;)

Twenty Over Cup - group match
7th July 2010

Teams:

Worcestershire

1. Phil Jaques
2. Daryl Mitchell
3. Alex Kervezee
4. Vikram Solanki*?
5. Shaaiq Choudhry
6. Ben Smith
7. Moeen Ali
8. Imran Arif
9. Matthew Mason
10. Alan Richardson
11. Jack Shantry

Leicestershire

1. James Benning
2. Will Jefferson
3. Brad Hodge
4. Andrew McDonald
5. Paul Nixon?
6. Tom New
7. Jacques du Toit
8. Claude Henderson
9. Nadeem Malik
10. Matthew Hoggard*
11. Andrew Harris

Toss:

Worcestershire won the toss, and chose to bowl first.

Match:

Leicestershire - 202 for 2 (20 overs)

James Benning 97* (57)
Will Jefferson 77 (44)
Andrew McDonald 20* (15)

Daryl Mitchell 1-33 (4)
Imran Arif 1-44 (4)

Worcestershire - 150 for 8 (20 overs)

Daryl Mitchell 44 (32)
Alex Kervezee 29 (34)
Imran Arif 23* (16)

Andrew McDonald 2-21 (4)
Matthew Hoggard 2-32 (4)
Nadeem Malik 2-36 (4)

Result:

Leicestershire win by 52 runs

Leicestershire 2
Worcestershire 0

MOTM:

James Benning (97 not out off 57 balls)

Reaction:

Lets just ignore the match, and focus on the two players who got promoted from my youth team, Jeff Ingram and Alan Darbon.

Alan Darbon is a middle order batsmen, while Jeff Ingram is a wicket-keeper. Both of them are currently 21, and they both have a batting preference of aggressive.

Alan Darbon has a second team average of 60 (21 matches), and Jeff Ingram has second team average of 45 (23 matches). When I add both of them to my playing XI, it increases from two two stars to just under three.

Jeff Ingram should be a very useful addition, as his second team average of 45 is pretty much double that of Ben Cox, who has a second team average of 24 (37 matches).

Alan Darbon is an interesting one, as I probably would have much preferred a bowler. He joins a host of other young batsmen, including six of them who're under 25. He has however dominated the second team scene, and has our highest second team batting average excluding Alex Kervezee who's just played one match. Our only two first team squad member who've never played in the second team are captain Vikram Solanki, and veteran Ben Smith.

Hopefully they can both push on this season, and look to gain regular first team squad contracts next season.

Hopefully I get some decent regens... I doubt it though.

Since you only invested $10,000 in it, you'll probably only get one as well. :p

Users who are viewing this thread