Commonwealth Bank Series (Australia, India, Sri Lanka)

Pretty impressive stuff by Drew, he seems to have one of these spells every now and then before having a few average ones that brings up his career average.

I am quite embarrassed considering we are WC at T20.

Anyway hats off to Australia and especially Clarke, Australia were by far the better team on the day.

Well I thought this shows how difficult it is for a World champion to maintain its reputation. I know its just one game, but then when the Aussies lost one test match in 17 games, people started talking about the their end.

I didn't watch the game. Will comment on Australia later...

Here would be my Indian side for the first ODI:

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Irfan Pathan (India really need a settled ODI number three)
4. Suresh Raina (NB)
5. Rohit Sharma (NB)
6. MS Dhoni (capt&wk)
7. Robin Uthappa (future opener, but has excelled at seven)
8. Praveen Kumar
9. Harbhajan Singh
10. Sreesanth
11. Munaf Patel

NB: The worst of the noted players should be replaced by Yuvraj Singh when he is fit.

Ok, I have picked the team with some thought. No Gautam Gambhir simply due to his appalling ODI record in a fair few games. Poor strike rate, poorer average - how can he be persevered with? He has not even done well in domestic one day games.
Dhoni at six and Uthappa at seven simply because he has excelled there as a chasing finisher and a quick runs at the end finisher.
Munaf over Ishant was not an easy choice.

I completely disagree with this line-up of yours.
A few major points which you have hihglighted : -

1. Gautam Gambhir
Agreed that he hasnt really been upto the mark in ODIs,but he has done really well in domestic cricket.And tell me,how many domestic ODIs did he play in ? I'd say give him some more time.I'm sure that by the end of the Aus tour,he will have developed inot a fine player.

2. Number 3
Gautam Gambhir will be included and will play at 3.Irfan,well I really dont know whether it would be wise to experiment on Aus pitches with him at 3.
Maybe Irfan can go to No.6 and provide some delight lower down the order.

3. Uthappa
Uthappa has excelled at No.7 in only 1 match.He is a very aggresive opener and he should be up at No.3 /4.

4. Yuvraj
Without Dravid the No.3 spot would go to Yuvi,but it depends to be seen what form he is in.I'd swap Suresh Raina for Yuvi.He should bat at 5.Incase, YUvi is unavailable,Raina is a good option but he needs to bat lower then.
I'd really like to see Dhoni bat higher.

5. Munaf-Ishant
First up,Munaf doesnt deserve a plac ein the squad.He has hardly excelled since his inclusion in the team.Point out one instance wherein his bowling has won a matc for us.
Ishant,on the other hand seems to be in great form.Would be wise to play him,else it would be like discouraging a youngster.

My line-up:
Tendulkar
Sehwag
Gambhir
Uthappa
Dhoni
Yuvraj/Raina
Irfan
Kumar
Harbjanan/Piyush
Sreesanth
Ishant

it is weird how noone mentioned sreesanths tv interview a couple of days ago where he called australia ...cant really say the word here but i dont understand why no australian has demanded an apology from him yet

We don't really care what he says, he's a moron. The results speak for themselves.

I hope Ponting and Hayden are injured and we get to air some new guys, please injuries take your toll!

that is real poor that the fans would egg a player.

what did sreesanth say?

I guess i'll be disagreeing with a lot of indian fans here. The best batsman in the team should be 3 and to me thats Tendulkar.

1. Sehwag
2. Gambhir
3. Tendulkar
4. Yuvraj/ Raina
5. Pathan
6. Uthappa
7. Dhoni
8. Chawla
9. Harbhajan Singh
10. Sreesanth
11. Sharma

this would be my 11.
1.sehwag
2.sachin
3.gambhir
4.raina
5.tiwary
6.uthappa
7.dhoni
8.pathan
9.harbhajan/chawla
10.ishant
11.munaf

would be temping to put praveen kumar in place of munaf patel but i would rather go for experience and play praveen kumar against the lankans.

lol. None of us are gonna agree to a team cause the twenty20 gave no insight to who deserves a spot and who doesn't- they all played pathetic. I guess its now up to past experience... oh wait there isn't much. This is gonna be one interesting selection. Who gets to pick the playing 11?

I guess i'll be disagreeing with a lot of indian fans here. The best batsman in the team should be 3 and to me thats Tendulkar.

1. Sehwag
2. Gambhir
3. Tendulkar
4. Yuvraj/ Raina
5. Pathan
6. Uthappa
7. Dhoni
8. Chawla
9. Harbhajan Singh
10. Sreesanth
11. Sharma
I tend to agree, with so many openers and Tendulkar such an adaptable player, not to mention a shepherd to a herd of sharks, it would seem sensible. There also needs to be some sanity in the middle; I'd actually suggest Dhoni could be the no. 4 because I've seen him play with grit and integrity and it's better to have your captain demonstrating that when you're still in the game, rather than when you have already been beaten.

Users who are viewing this thread