Commonwealth Bank Series (Australia, India, Sri Lanka)

They probably will mid way through the series. Either due to the side not performing or the side basically qualifying for the finals already.

I am quite embarrassed considering we are WC at T20.

Anyway hats off to Australia and especially Clarke, Australia were by far the better team on the day.

Just a shame about the way the game went. India first of all picked a weak and experimental side. They didn't take the game seriously and were embarrassed as the result. Secondly, the batsmen who did play played stupid shots. I can't believe this team won the world cup. Their innings pacing was a joke. Look at how Australia went. Gilly and Clarke scoring runs along the ground and THEN after getting in playing shots in the air if needed. I also think you should chase in Twenty/20's as much as possible. It makes it easier when you see how the pitch is playing and know what you need.
No ****, sherlock. When you're chasing under 4 runs an over in a Twenty20 match on a tough pitch, you'd obviously not go for broke in the beginning. I don't think there's much to credit the Aussies for their pacing while batting. And when India won the Twenty20 world cup, they won most of their games by batting first. The usually paced themselves well--getting to about 60 for 1 or 2 by the halfway stage and then elevating themselves to 170-odd. They just forgot about all that today.

Ok, have not seen the highlights yet, but I assume that India just collapsed and had a total meltdown. Such things happen to even the best of teams. However, the team was poor. Dinesh Karthik should not play limited overs games. If you have both, a poor strike rate and poor average in ODI, List A, T20 and T20I, then you truly should not play international limited overs cricket. Uthappa should not bat in the middle order either, he should either bat at the top or in the lower order. His style is not one to consolidate in the middle overs, nor is it one to deal with the pressure of the loss of two or three quick wickets.

Oh well, collapse on a slow pitch can be forgiven - especially in a T20.

I don't think the picking of the side was much to blame. Just the fact that every batsman other than Sehwag played an absolutely dreadful shot. Sehwag was run out by his own lack of awareness and dallying tbf, but you could blame Karthick for deciding to take a run to someone ho has a long track record of fantastic run outs from point. Karthick was an idiot, he got a dead quick full toss, but he tried to move away before Lee had even bowled the ball, and he'd aready hit a boundary in the over, there was no need to try for another especially having lost a wicket that early. Gambhir's shot was silly, just didn't read it, neither did he play through it over the top. Utappha is the same as Gambhir. Rohit Sharma should have never have tried to pull a length ball on his off stp on a slow pitch, it was always going to happen. Dhoni played a silly shot and should have taken some responshibility, although it can be argued he was trying to by upping the rate etc. Pathan was fantastic though, never let the occaision get to him.

Michael Clarke captained it absolutely fantastically btw.

Michael Clarke captained it absolutely fantastically btw.

It is easy to captain when the other team capitulates though, his real test will come in a closer game.

I also think that Sreesanth should perhaps not play T20Is. He is far too expensive and should still be on a short leash in ODIs - but it seems that his injury has made people forget his dreadful ODI form prior to it.

You are right though Ani, by all accounts, the team just imploded. Selection was not to blame, but selection was still poor.

To be honest I reckon if Ponting captain Australia this game, India would have ended up making 100+, he's less willing to attack and more conservative. I don't think you guys are giving Australia enough credit, you're all saying India this, India that, we picked a relatively green side and the bowling, fielding and captaincy was near perfect.

To be honest I reckon if Ponting captain Australia this game, India would have ended up making 100+, he's less willing to attack and more conservative. I don't think you guys are giving Australia enough credit, you're all saying India this, India that, we picked a relatively green side and the bowling, fielding and captaincy was near perfect.

I didn't watch the game. Will comment on Australia later...

Here would be my Indian side for the first ODI:

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Irfan Pathan (India really need a settled ODI number three)
4. Suresh Raina (NB)
5. Rohit Sharma (NB)
6. MS Dhoni (capt&wk)
7. Robin Uthappa (future opener, but has excelled at seven)
8. Praveen Kumar
9. Harbhajan Singh
10. Sreesanth
11. Munaf Patel

NB: The worst of the noted players should be replaced by Yuvraj Singh when he is fit.

Ok, I have picked the team with some thought. No Gautam Gambhir simply due to his appalling ODI record in a fair few games. Poor strike rate, poorer average - how can he be persevered with? He has not even done well in domestic one day games.

Irfan Pathan at three is not ideal, I would have Yuvraj Singh at three when he comes back but Pathan averages 30 at three and has three fifties there. He also has three ducks there, but that is neither here nor there.

Raina and Sharma are pretty self explanitory. Dhoni at six and Uthappa at seven simply because he has excelled there as a chasing finisher and a quick runs at the end finisher. Kumar has to be there, he is top stuff with the new ball in domestics and gets a ton of swing from what I have seen - good batting in depth too. Harbhajan is a good container in the middle order and could work well with Sreesanth in the middle overs. Of course, it could go horribly wrong, but that is the risk. Sreesanth in for wicket taking ability, but should be on short lease.

Munaf over Ishant was not an easy choice. I guess Munaf's proven record at international level did it for me, but Ishant's fielding and great bowling in the Test series (especially the economy), leads me to think he may be the better choice. I'm really not sure about that one. I think that the quick Aussie pitches may really do his type of stump to stump bowling well.

Praveen Kumar looked good yesterday, though a bit on the slow side. He was fairly accurate, though he did pitch it a little short a few times. I think on a smaller ground he may even had played a cameo since he was caught on the long-off boundary.

No ****, sherlock.

That wasn't my point. India tried to play balls in the air far too early off good deceptive bowling. Australia still scored at a great rate all along the ground without playing ugly slogs. If India are going to play like that I give them even less chance in the CB seres. Might struggle to win a match I reckon.

Twenty/20's are like any form of cricket. The best team will win most of the time. Australia certainly had the best side on the park. The Indian batting line up was woeful.

Last edited:
Anyone who now says "Twenty/20 is bad blah blah" isn't judging it fairly. India really never took the game seriously. Blame them.

Still was great to watch. Gilly with the microphone is always a good laugh.

I agree, I wont say Twenty20 is bad just becoz of this one defeat. We played very badly, and our approach to the game was baffling. We approached it worser than a practice game. Being the world champions in that format, I expected our team to show some sort of effort into the game even if its like a practice for them.

Has Australia gone undefeated in ODIs?

:clap :clap :clap :clap

WELL DONE!!!

Ok, have not seen the highlights yet, but I assume that India just collapsed and had a total meltdown. Such things happen to even the best of teams. However, the team was poor. Dinesh Karthik should not play limited overs games. If you have both, a poor strike rate and poor average in ODI, List A, T20 and T20I, then you truly should not play international limited overs cricket. Uthappa should not bat in the middle order either, he should either bat at the top or in the lower order. His style is not one to consolidate in the middle overs, nor is it one to deal with the pressure of the loss of two or three quick wickets.

I havent seen much in Dinesh to suggest that he can be a permanent ODI or T20 player. I felt we should have given Raina or Tiwary a chance today so that they could have got used for the ODI series (at least Raina).

I guess we need a rethink of our T20 batting line up. We should have Uthappa and Gambhir opening the batting with Sehwag coming in the middle order. Sehwag seems to be playing well when there are open fields, thereby letting him pick singles and then get the odd boundaries. Uthappa is an opener, converted to a middle order batsman. The left-right combination will also work good and both are good players and could complement each other well. One down should be Yuvraj followed by Sehwag, Raina/Sharma, Dhoni, Pathan and then the others.

I also think that Sreesanth should perhaps not play T20Is. He is far too expensive and should still be on a short leash in ODIs - but it seems that his injury has made people forget his dreadful ODI form prior to it.

Sree actually looked good today. He was constantly clocking very high pace (according to his standards) and was troubling the batters on a few occasions. His first ball yorker was a ripper than missed the off stump by a breadth.

I didnt know Praveen Kumar can bowl at 132-134kph. Thats seriously good man! How good of a fielder he is? He looks a good bat too (the shot he played today, on some other day it would have been a six).

Munaf over Ishant was not an easy choice. I guess Munaf's proven record at international level did it for me, but Ishant's fielding and great bowling in the Test series (especially the economy), leads me to think he may be the better choice. I'm really not sure about that one. I think that the quick Aussie pitches may really do his type of stump to stump bowling well.

Impossible. Having one of the world's worst ever fielders in our ODI line up when we dropped the seniors for their fielding prowess is just NOT ON!!! Munaf should only play if one of our other fast bowlers get injured. Munaf came in as a tearaway fast bowler, and now has been completely torn away by his attitude and lack of commitment. Ishant is a great prospect, he has succeeded in Australia and his fielding is more than decent (although with more games, it could even be termed good)

Last edited:
Great preformance by the aussies. Particulry skipper Pup he fielded brilliant and batted brilliant. Great work Micheal Clarke.

That wasn't my point. India tried to play balls in the air far too early off good deceptive bowling. Australia still scored at a great rate all along the ground without playing ugly slogs. If India are going to play like that I give them even less chance in the CB seres. Might struggle to win a match I reckon.
Yeah--but Australia didn't really have any pressure on them did they? Low scores are impossible to defend in Twenty20--anything under 100 stands almost no chance and if you are going to set a target that has a required run rate of less than 4, you have no chance of winning. This is why I don't give credit to the Australians "building their innings". We would have had a far better idea of that had the Australians batted first or if the Indians had put up even 6 runs an over.

it is weird how noone mentioned sreesanths tv interview a couple of days ago where he called australia ...cant really say the word here but i dont understand why no australian has demanded an apology from him yet

Yeah--but Australia didn't really have any pressure on them did they? Low scores are impossible to defend in Twenty20--anything under 100 stands almost no chance and if you are going to set a target that has a required run rate of less than 4, you have no chance of winning. This is why I don't give credit to the Australians "building their innings". We would have had a far better idea of that had the Australians batted first or if the Indians had put up even 6 runs an over.

Of course. But you're talking about something i'm not talking about. I never said they needed credit for their pacing. I said look at how Australia went in reference to easy scoring along the ground. If India tried more of that early on they would have posted more runs probably. Of course it was easy for them with the runs on the board. But Australia showed that you can still score at a high rate while getting in by picking up singles and twos and hitting boundaries all along the turf.

Users who are viewing this thread