Commonwealth Bank Series (Australia, India, Sri Lanka)

A lot of people are saying that we might struggle without the seniors, but yesterday, even they wouldn't have done much better.

A lot of people are saying that we might struggle without the seniors, but yesterday, even they wouldn't have done much better.

Of course. Take for instance Gambhir and Sharma. Inspite of the swinging conditions, they decided that a new bowler like Noffke should be taken on and they duly went after him. Had it been Ganguly or Dravid, I could have almost assured you that they would have more respect to the prevailing conditions than the bowler and would have treated him with unnecessary respect than he actually deserves. Sometimes the seniors try to take too much responsibility thereby hurting the team.

Ganguly would have been easy pickings here. Dravid could have survived, but with his penchant of staying at the wicket without scoring runs, it would have been of no use to the team because if you stay out there, you got to keep it ticking.

Of course. Take for instance Gambhir and Sharma. Inspite of the swinging conditions, they decided that a new bowler like Noffke should be taken on and they duly went after him. Had it been Ganguly or Dravid, I could have almost assured you that they would have more respect to the prevailing conditions than the bowler and would have treated him with unnecessary respect than he actually deserves. Sometimes the seniors try to take too much responsibility thereby hurting the team.

Ganguly would have been easy pickings here. Dravid could have survived, but with his penchant of staying at the wicket without scoring runs, it would have been of no use to the team because if you stay out there, you got to keep it ticking.

The young team got into trouble but at the end did not fair too bad. If the match was not abandoned they had a chance to win the game as the conditions were helping the bowlers. It is expected that the inexperienced players will struggle a bit but one has to bear with it to build for the future. Again Rohit Sharma looked good. Rohit and Gambir could have been patient and batted longer. The batting order needs a overhaul. Tendulkar or Sehwag should play in the middle order to add some stability. Uthappa is not a middle order player. He is an attacking players. He should open or go one down when there are field restrictions. Raina should be given a chance after a long wait. He would be a considerable asset in fielding. It is not good to go with 4 front line bowlers when the part timers are spinners and the pitches may not be suitable for spin. I would go with the following team and batting order for the next game.

1. Sehwag
2. Gambhir
3. Rohit Sharma
4. Tendulkar
5. Raina/Tiwari
6. Dhoni
7. Pathan
8. Praveen Kumar
9. Harbajan
10. Sreeshant
11. Ishant Sharma

Yeah, their negativity would have just made a big hole and we wouldn't have got many runs.

Lee was just too good, as were the rest, any batting line-up would have suffered.

Yeah, their negativity would have just made a big hole and we wouldn't have got many runs.

Lee was just too good, as were the rest, any batting line-up would have suffered.

i can understand that now in 20-20's generation 74 is less strike rate(ganguly's) but it still early days.we didnt finish first of all 50 overs n nobody played at even SR of 74 in that match so time will show.

Looks like a great game was set up. I still had my money on Australia, but man was that rain spicing the pitch up or what?

Sharma bowled Hopes with a ripper! This guy has some talent. Both him and Sreesanth were getting the seam out perfectly. Quite impressive. They just need to sort their batting line up out and they might do alright.

Tendulkar needs to give solid start if ind wants to put aussi under pressure.

Well looks like I'll get my first taste of ODI cricket for the summer on Sunday (in fact I've never actually been to a Comm Bank/VB Series game before as I'm usually away when it's on). Looking forward to the game.

Do India play Sri Lanka tomorrow?

indian people dont go on seniors saying they would have sucked and i dont think so look at sehwag he went for shots right away when bowl was moving where ganguly wouldnt have done like in england he palyed well and dravid he is a good player too look at there records they are in top 5odi batsman so why say they sucks infact junior havent done that well in batting i saw the match i thought gambir and sharma looked good then gave it away and others expect sachin werent good enough to face aussie attack

bolwers were good thats the only postive for india to take away from that game

i hope the indian team given more chances to tiwary and dont just push him onto the sidelines.even though he looked out of place yesterday he is very talented and a very good fielder.

Rohit and Uthappa again played poor shots. Tendulkar's was just a one in a million fluke, so there's nothing you can really say. Tiwary's innings looked a little odd to me. He seemed very reluctant to get on the front foot at all, there were two or three balls outside the off stump I saw that were by far and away front foot shots that he played of the back foot, a bit caribbean like. To be fair though, he had only been off a plane for about 12 hours so, it can't say I expected a lot from him. I understand the comparisons with KP now. They both have the same sort of silent arrogance when they are just around the crease.

Thats the 1st time ive ever seen that tiwary and really he didnt look that good he fell for one of the oldest tricks in the book an something even tailenders dont fall for anymore.
Couple of short ones to force him back then try an get a yorker in there.

I thik the overall performance was decent,if not great.
It showed that the team,if they wanted ,could have even defended 194 and were eager to make a close match of it.

Give the youngsters some time.I think India would field the same 11 against SL.Maybe Harbhajan will make way for Piyush.

The bastmen,well,the Gabba is full of bounce,so you can't really blame them for it.But,I admit the fact that some very very stupid shots were played.

I`d in fact open with Uthappa and Gambhir with Rohit at No.3.
Tendulkar and Sehwag would be my No.4 and No.5 with Yuvraj at No.6 and Dhoni at No.7
I would have never advocated for Sachin in the middle-order under normal circumstances but with the side having no experience in the middle order, we will have to take the step + Sehwag will have trouble against Vaas`s in-dippers.
Uthappa is no Rahul Dravid and we cannot have him coming in at a situation where there are 5 wickets down for 90. He is at his best when he attacks and we must let him take advantage of the powerplays.

Gambhir is another player who will be crucial against Sanath and Murali because he is one of our best players of spin bowling.
I think even without Zaheer and RP we have the bowling to trouble both Australia and SRL if the conditions are helpful(although having both of them, would`ve been great)

cricinfo are not too sure if y singh is play however cricketnext seems to say that y singh is playing any news on him.

Users who are viewing this thread