Commonwealth Bank Series (Australia, India, Sri Lanka)

But the Sri Lankans will complain cos they'll say he grounded the ball as he put it on the ground for 0.00001 of a second.
Err. I'm not Sri Lankan, but even you admit that it happened. That, however short it was, is against the rules.

Roy man you are an awesome fielder but please read rule book on catches please first.

Err. I'm not Sri Lankan, but even you admit that it happened. That, however short it was, is against the rules.

I'm not complaining though. I still think it's out. It's a rediculous rule. He is controlling the ball.

there you go,BY LAWS OF CRICKET:

1. Out Caught

The striker is out Caught if a ball delivered by the bowler, not being a No ball,

touches his bat without having previously been in contact with any member of the

fielding side and is subsequently held by a fielder as a fair catch before it touches

the ground.

2. Caught to take precedence

If the criteria of 1 above are met and the striker is not out Bowled, then he is out

Caught, even though a decision against either batsman for another method of

dismissal would be justified. Runs completed by the batsmen before the

completion of the catch will not be scored. Note also Laws 21.6 (Winning hit or

extras) and 42.17(b) (Penalty runs).

3. A fair catch

A catch shall be considered to have been fairly made if

(a) throughout the act of making the catch

(i) any fielder in contact with the ball is within the field of play. See 4

below.

(ii) the ball is at no time in contact with any object grounded beyond the

boundary.

The act of making the catch shall start from the time when a fielder first handles

the ball and shall end when a fielder obtains complete control both over the ball

and over his own movement.

(b) the ball is hugged to the body of the catcher or accidentally lodges in his

clothing or, in the case of the wicket-keeper, in his pads. However, it is not a fair

catch if the ball lodges in a protective helmet worn by a fielder. See Law 23

(Dead ball).

(c) the ball does not touch the ground, even though the hand holding it does so in

effecting the catch.

(d) a fielder catches the ball after it has been lawfully struck more than once by

the striker, but only if the ball has not touched the ground since first being struck.

(e) a fielder catches the ball after it has touched an umpire, another fielder or the

other batsman. However, it is not a fair catch if the ball has touched a protective

helmet worn by a fielder, although the ball remains in play.

(f) a fielder catches the ball in the air after it has crossed the boundary provided

that

(i) he has no part of his person touching, or grounded beyond, the

boundary at any time when he is in contact with the ball.

(ii) the ball has not been grounded beyond the boundary.

See Law 19.3 (Scoring a boundary).

(g) the ball is caught off an obstruction within the boundary, provided it has not

previously been decided to regard the obstruction as a boundary.

4. Fielder within the field of play

(a) A fielder is not within the field of play if he touches the boundary or has any

part of his person grounded beyond the boundary. See Law 19.3 (Scoring a

boundary).

(b) 6 runs shall be scored if a fielder

(i) has any part of his person touching, or grounded beyond, the boundary

when he catches the ball.

(ii) catches the ball and subsequently touches the boundary or grounds

some part of his person over the boundary while carrying the ball but

before completing the catch.

See Laws 19.3 (Scoring a boundary) and 19.4 (Runs allowed for boundaries).

5. No runs to be scored

If the striker is dismissed Caught, runs from that delivery completed by the

batsmen before the completion of the catch shall not be scored, but any penalties

awarded to either side when the ball is dead, if applicable, will stand. Law

18.12(a) (Batsman returning to wicket he has left) shall apply from the instant of

the catch.

Last edited:
I thaught umpires learnt lesson after Sydney game.

Anyways as much I would want Australia to loose its probably better for India that they win and that too comfortably. But Sanga needs to get 100 also.

I thaught umpires learnt lesson after Sydney game.

Anyways as much I would want Australia to loose its probably better for India that they win and that too comfortably. But Sanga needs to get 100 also.

No sid,Its better for INDIA if AUS win from here.:D
And it is 50 overs match not 21!!Ya agree with you about SANGA he should go for big one.:p

Wait, they just showed it again on tv, and his fingers were just under it.

So, OUT.

Just seen the catch and cannot be entirely sure because his hand obscures the ball. Looks like a clean catch to me though.

Users who are viewing this thread