Cricket Allrounders

i'd say dwayne bravo has just as much (if not more) potential to be a good allrounder than Pathan

Bravo definatly has poteinal to be a genuine alrounder so has Pathan, even if he does himself think he is a bowler.
Imran Khan was said to be Pakistans bets captian by those who played under him.
Kieth Miller was said to be the best captian to never be Australian captian (you know what I mean) according to Richie Benaud.

i wasnt sayiong allrounders dont make good captains, i was just asking if any did

Last edited:
I thought this was just about captain/allrounders?

Glenn Chapple is a decent all-rounder but he isn't a captain. Scott Styris is another, and so too is Paul Collingwood in ODI's. Maybe even KP soon too!:p

lol, have another forum ioen and got confused between the posts, could have been *alot* worse

KP already is an allrounder, he has more Test wickets than collingwood and the same as bell

ste_mc_efc said:
lol, have another forum ioen and got confused between the posts, could have been *alot* worse

KP already is an allrounder, he has more Test wickets than collingwood and the same as bell

Ahh, but Trescothick has more wickets in Tests than Collingwood; No one classes Tresco as an all-rounder do they?

but how many matches has tresco played compared to KP and collingwood?

and KOP has a much lower strike rate thant tresco (approx 6 times smaller) and well collingwood has better ODI bowling stats than tresco

ste_mc_efc said:
but how many matches has tresco played compared to KP and collingwood?

and KOP has a much lower strike rate thant tresco (approx 6 times smaller) and well collingwood has better ODI bowling stats than tresco

Whoah, i'm not saying Tresco is an all-rounder here; he's not even close. I was merley dismissing your claims about KP being an allrounder purely because he has more wickets than Colly.

KP could well turn out to be a decent all rounder though.

my kp already is an allrounder was a joke, he might well develop into a quite effective bowler, but he will always be (at least seen as) a batsman who can bowl a bit (ala collingwood and Bell)

I believe he started off as primarily an off-spinner who batted at nine, or thereabouts, but was eventually identified as a major batting talent. So he's definitely got the right background for development.
Way before my time, but Lindwall (with the classical action....) was decent with the bat as well as lethal with the ball, so too Alan Davidson, who was handy in the middle to lower order, I hear. Keith Miller was arguably the best from over here, anyway.

RoboRocks said:
Kieth Miller was said to be the best captian to never be Australian captian (you know what I mean) according to Richie Benaud.

What about the man himself Riche Benaud? He was a pretty handy allrounder. Tony Greig was another allrounder who was captain. You could say Steve Waugh, but when he became captain his bowling days were long behind him and was more just a batsmen who could bowl a bit.

There have been good allrounders throughout the history of cricket. John Wisden back in the mid 19th century was considered the finest allrounder of the time. Just as Wisden's career ended then WG Grace turned up and he was a top allrounder also.

ste_mc_efc said:
my kp already is an allrounder was a joke, he might well develop into a quite effective bowler, but he will always be (at least seen as) a batsman who can bowl a bit (ala collingwood and Bell)

If KP is an allrounder Trescothick, Vaughan, Ponting, Sarwan are all allrounders. KP is a dodgy offspinner who occasionaly gets it right. I will only call KP an all rounder if he bowls to the same level as someone like Gayle who always bowls quite a few overs and takes wickets.

Ian Harvey was a decent all-rounder to me.

Even Abdul Razzaq can be rated as a decent all-rounder.

evertonfan said:
Ahh, but Trescothick has more wickets in Tests than Collingwood; No one classes Tresco as an all-rounder do they?

He has a first class hat trick :D

I believe he started off as primarily an off-spinner who batted at nine, or thereabouts, but was eventually identified as a major batting talent. So he's definitely got the right background for development.

And they thought he wasn't good enough :D

Users who are viewing this thread