Cricket Quiz

Octavius said:
One bold and contagious,
the other quite mild.

I think this implies that its a trio not a duo. Anyone in mind? :upray

EDIT: nvm my bad, the first phrase referred to only one player

I've thought of one that I think may cover all the bases

one for eternity, - Dave Gregory captained Australia in its First Test match
a famous fraternity, - There are quite a number of Gregory's who played for Australia
no questioned paternity. - The answer doesn't involve his father?
Captains courageous, - They both capained Australia at some stage (Though I'm only guessing with the second one)
into countries as strangers, - This is again only a guess, but maybe they were in the Team's that first toured certain countries, like England etc
One bold and contagious,
the other quite mild. - I have no idea about their personalities, but I'm hoping they cover both types
Who are we? Dave and Syd Gregory

I'm pretty sure that they are uncle nephew and not father son. Maybe I've gone too deep and the answer is more obvious than that, but after pondering the riddle for some time that is what I've come up with.

Wow, good guess. But one for eternity..ah, has Graeme passed away? Coutries as strangers? Well, RSA was banned for a while. Somethig to do with it? Rest seem to fit quite well.

Nah Graeme is commentating these days. However I also think that's not a bad shout. Still a bit dissapointed it wasn't the Chappells or Benauds, thought it fitted them perfectly :p

I'm now banking on the Crowes and Graces, although I'm not convinced by either.

Ok one last set of clues because you guys are all around it and sooo close :D

Eternity; my meaning is been around forever in cricket and still is in a more famous role(still around and pretty healthy still, not quite as long as Richie Benaud!)

fraternity; i mean brothers in the cricketing fraternity.

No questioned paternity, so they both come from the same father..they are actually also brothers.

Captains courageous; pretty obvious although not both national captains.

into countries as strangers; the biggest clue! which most have misinterpreted, they both left their homeland to live and play cricket in a foreign country.

one brother is loud bold and kind of likeable.

the other is quieter, not well known.

so you are looking for two brothers, both of whom played cricket and captained their regional if not their national team (im sure the famous one did), one of whom is in a fairly famous role in wider cricketing circles (everyone will know him). One brother only played a very small number (single digit) of tests for his adopted country, the other more famous played many tests and is well regarded test player of his time. The famous one is outspoken, the other has hardly ever been heard from again in cricketing beyond his role as captain of his regional side.

ok ill give the answer at the end of my day which is in 8 hours time if noone guesses, but im sure someone will now. In my opinion Puddleduck has come closest with the Benaud's.

well that must mean that one of them was a commentator, and a wild guess is that they either came from New Zealand or played for New Zealand from another country, seeing as you support them, they must have been captains and well known. there was a question on question of sport like this, if i remember rightly one of them played for england but i can't remember there name

i am sure that one of them was a bowler from a long time ago, 1920-1950

Ah Andrews got it I'm sure. Tony captained England, Ian captained Surrey. Both weren't from England, basically both fit every clue.

My turn then.

Time for one of my evil, obscure type questions I think.

Name the Canadian cricketer with a connection to "Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy".

Just to note, you can feel free to look this up as much as you can. I don't mind.

Users who are viewing this thread