Dhoni's gloves

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
What the hell were Umpires doing all this while in Australia untill then? What did Bucknor do about it?

Sman-21

Club Cricketer
bucknor didnt see it hes blind remember :P

And dhoni definatly knew they werent legal which is why he had a backup pair of gloves the correct standard or atleast closer to it.
If he had no idea they were illegal but he found them so much better for catching wouldnt he go out an get all his backup gloves to be the same.
Every WK knows what they can an cant have.

But they cant suspend him india will plead ignorance an threaten to boycott all there games again.
:boxing

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
All I can say is that they were within limits and even Jeff Crowe has admitted it. Cant find source but I read it somewhere.

baburao

Club Cricketer
bucknor didnt see it hes blind remember :P

And dhoni definatly knew they werent legal which is why he had a backup pair of gloves the correct standard or atleast closer to it.
If he had no idea they were illegal but he found them so much better for catching wouldnt he go out an get all his backup gloves to be the same.
Every WK knows what they can an cant have.

But they cant suspend him india will plead ignorance an threaten to boycott all there games again.
:boxing
Too much of guessing isnt it?

Harrypotter_fan

Panel of Selectors
Not aware of the rule, yeh right. He's a keeper, he should be clued up on all the rules regarding Wicket-Keepers. Even the Keepers at my club know about the webbing rule and mentioned the B Team keeper's gloves last season at training. If club cricketers are aware of the rules then an international keeper should be aswell. I don't get how players can claim naivity and get away with it. Mohammed Asif for example claimed that he didn't know what he was taking when he got found guilty of drug-taking, that's not an excuse; and shouldn't be a valid excuse for Dhoni.

In India, nobody instructs cricketers about rules and things. The only thing that is taught is the skills, and some basic techniques. Every young cricketer knows the basic rules in cricket, but not the ones which are deep in the book. So many sub-continent players are not aware of rules like those.

baburao

Club Cricketer
Not aware of the rule, yeh right. He's a keeper, he should be clued up on all the rules regarding Wicket-Keepers. Even the Keepers at my club know about the webbing rule and mentioned the B Team keeper's gloves last season at training. If club cricketers are aware of the rules then an international keeper should be aswell. I don't get how players can claim naivity and get away with it. Mohammed Asif for example claimed that he didn't know what he was taking when he got found guilty of drug-taking, that's not an excuse; and shouldn't be a valid excuse for Dhoni.

Jelly beans,sledging,swearing.
I cant find any of these things in cricket rule book.:rolleyes:And dont come up with stuff like its not related to topic.Becoz you himself brought asif's issue to it.

Animator!

School Cricketer
He should know, and he's silly not too. But I don't think he did. When you're a professional player, especially at the real top of the standard you don't tend to really give much thought to your gear. If you need some new gloves, you just ask your sponsors they send them, you use them. No pro goes and picks their gear, they're given it. I don't think he'd have spent the time lookg at them, he would have just gone out and used them.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
He should know, and he's silly not too. But I don't think he did. When you're a professional player, especially at the real top of the standard you don't tend to really give much thought to your gear. If you need some new gloves, you just ask your sponsors they send them, you use them. No pro goes and picks their gear, they're given it. I don't think he'd have spent the time lookg at them, he would have just gone out and used them.
It's also possible that they were legal when they arrived from the sponsors but have expanded due to wear and tear.

punterpupnroy

International Cricketer
I don't think it really matters THAT much, i mean it was great footwork and a great catch. But if it is against the rules it should be cheating but in my opinion i dont think it should be.

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
Jelly beans,sledging,swearing.
I cant find any of these things in cricket rule book.:rolleyes:And dont come up with stuff like its not related to topic.Becoz you himself brought asif's issue to it.

You just shot yourself in the ass. Cause you perfectly right, there is no rule about sledging and co. Therefore its legal.

Not sure about the Jelly bean thing though, whats that about?

Sureshot

Executive member
The alledged Jellygate saga at The Oval last summer. (Think it was Oval)

ivanvdm15

International Cricketer
It does give him an unfare advantage to use the straps but i think the umpires or whatever should have picked it up way earlier.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
It does give him an unfare advantage to use the straps but i think the umpires or whatever should have picked it up way earlier.

Finally someone speaks something useful.

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
Yeh its so stange they only notice now. since its been very one loooooong summer Oh well, i heard on the radio this morning that it turns out the gloves are actually legal (as claimed by the Indian manufacture though)

Anyone know more on this?

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Yeh its so stange they only notice now. since its been very one loooooong summer Oh well, i heard on the radio this morning that it turns out the gloves are actually legal (as claimed by the Indian manufacture though)

Anyone know more on this?
I feel like they were probably legal when they came in the box but they may have stretched naturally after wear and tear. Or it may just be that the manufacturers are trying to save face. :p

Users who are viewing this thread