Discuss all your great wins/losses/draws here.

Well I decided to do a new Worcestershire save and just skipped the first season so I could sign some new players. Just pulled off a miraculous win against Middlesex, even though winning never was in my head when we were put into bat again to follow on as I was just trying to draw.

Bowled first, a pretty poor bowling effort as they made 326, Calvin Flowers pretty disappointing with 4/126.

We went out to bat and it was a terrible display of batting as we were bowled out for 168, Troughton scoring the only half century.

Made to follow on, Mitchell played a stunning innings scoring 132 as we made 330 but at the moment, I didn't think I could win it at all. Imran Arif being injured didn't help at all so I had 3 bowlers (Shantry, Richardson and Flowers).

I couldn't afford to bowl part timers with only just under 2 sessions remaining as they probably would have won so I decided to open with Flowers and keep rotating the 2 seamers at the other end. Flowers got us off to an excellent start taking 2 early wickets. Richardson had failed to take a breakthrough in his opening 7 over spell so I brought Shantry on. Wicket in his first over, I have them 3 down. Flowers then takes his third to get rid of Malan. Shantry then takes another wicket the next over so they are 5/40 and now I'm wondering whether I can bowl them out. 6 overs without a wicket though but Flowers finally strikes again to get rid of Scott and now it was only Shah and Murtagh to get out to get into their tail. A nice partnership formed but Flowers took his fifth wicket to remove Murtagh for 19 and they were 7/113. Richardson strikes in the next over and now we are right on track to pull off a great victory. Shah and O'Brien survive 11 overs though so now we only had 2 overs to bowl them out. I had given Flowers a 1 over break, but brought him on from the other end and it worked as we got the huge wicket of Shah late in the over and he was out for 39. Flower's 2 balls to Collins didn't bring a breakthrough so now Shantry needed to pretty much get O'Brien out. 4th ball though, O'Brien tries to cut it away but it wasn't really there to cut and only managed in getting an edge to second slip and Choudhry held onto it to win the game, Middlesex bowled out for 133 with 2 balls left in the day. Flowers finished with 6/71, Shantry took 3/47 and Richardson took 1/15.

Flowers_6.jpg

Who knows what goes through a tailenders mind when they need to survive 2 balls to draw the game otherwise they lose. But yes, I'd guess he wouldn't try and play a cut shot.

2040 season

Felt like commenting on the game AI aspect again. I wonder if this is the same in the newer versions as well.

On a bowler friendly track, this match fluctuated on both sides, probably in the end, I thought, this game should have been Ireland's.

From 40/4, my team went on to make 216/9 in 50 overs. Even some drama happened in the Ireland innings as they slipped to 81/4 & then were 176/7 in the 45th over. With 41 required of 34 balls, batsman J.Gow kept most of the strike...getting 2's, 4's...avoided singles...appreciable...considering the fact, that if paceman E.Cullin(non-striker) too got out...then there would have been 2 bunnies with the bat in form of Ireland's No 10 & 11.

Gow did a good job to get it down to 7 off the last over....3 wkts in hand. But even in the last over.....First 3 balls, Gow kept strike ( he didnt take easy singles )... so, 3 dot balls ...then he hit a four...took a single of the 5th ball.....with 2 to win (1 for a tie).....bowler Cullin drove it to long-off...an easy single was on the cards...Shocker!!! Both batsman stood still......as though Cullin wanted Gow on strike at the start of the 51st over!!! :p So much for the game's AI.

Sry.jpg

Northamptonshire vs. Lancashire, Pro League Division 2, August 4 2009,
County Ground, Northampton (ICC09)

Northamptonshire: H Aston, A Wakely, N Boje(c), D Sales, D Murphy(wk), J van der Wath, A Hall(vc), S Peters, L Daggett, R Cummins, J Brooks

Lancashire: P Horton, M Loye(c), VVS Laxman, F du Plessis, M Chilton, G Cross(wk), T Smith, G Chapple(vc), D Wilmott, S Mahmood, G Keedy

Lancashire won the toss and batted. Batting orders as above.

I picked six bowlers because Boje was out of form with the ball so I intended to use him primarily as a batsman. Van der Wath opened the bowling with Hall. The first over went for 10, and van der Wath?s next for 6, so he was replaced by Lee Daggett.

After 10 they were 38-0. I gave Boje a try, replacing Hall, for the 10th over, and he went so well I ended up using him instead of Brooks. Cummins replaced Daggett in the 13th. After going for 16 in two, Cummins got the breakthrough in his 3rd, bowling Loye for 40 - Lancashire 88 for 1 after 16.2.

Horton and Laxman went along comfortably until the acceleration in the last 10. In the 31st over, van der Wath was bowling again, and had Horton caught behind for 85 ? Lancashire 173-2. Du Plessis got a boundary second ball, but fourth ball ? the last of the same van der Wath over ? he was walking back having been caught by Boje at short leg.

Cummins had one over left. It went for 14, to go with the 13 he had gone for in the 30th. Van der Wath continued, getting Chilton lbw and conceding only 2. Lancashire 193-4 after 33. He got Cross similarly lbw in his last over (the 35th), leaving Hall and Boje to finish out. Laxman took 6 of Hall?s last 8 deliveries for boundaries, and Lancashire posted an imposing 255 for 5. Laxman was not out 82 off 59 (with a whopping 17 boundaries). Van der Wath with 8-0-51-4 and Daggett who?d managed to be economical (8-2-36-0) were the best of the bowlers.

Northamptonshire?s inexperienced opening pair of Harry Aston (his 3rd one-dayer) and Alex Wakely (his 5th) got a reasonable start against Sajid Mahmood and Danny Wilmott (in only his 3rd game). They took 17 off Mahmood in the 5th over, but Wilmott had Wakely caught by Loye at 2nd slip next over, and Northants were 37-1.

Mahmood and Wilmott bowled their entire 8 overs in their opening stints. In the 14th, Wilmott got Aston lbw for only 25 (off 48 balls) and Northants were at 78 for 2. The next two overs saw two more wickets fall. Mahmood bowled Sales for 4 (in an over that went for 18), then Wilmott bowled the new man Murphy, also for 4.

It was left to Chapple, Smith and Keedy to deal with the nascent partnership between Boje and van der Wath. They weren?t able to deal with this pair. They put on 72 in just over 9 overs before Boje on 67 was caught by Keedy at deep backward point, off Chapple.

Andrew Hall was not a great deal of trouble to the scorers, bowled in Chapple?s next over, having scored 2 off 2 balls faced in his 10-ball stay. Northants had been ahead of the required run rate since the 4th ball of the 5th over. But 75 from 13.3 overs with just 4 wickets left was still quite a challenge. Van der Wath and Stephen Peters set about redressing that. They put on 50 for the 7th in 6.5 overs. When van der Wath departed, stumped by Cross off Keedy for 71 in 64 balls, the equation was 25 off 40 balls, albeit down to the tail. Daggett was only able to put on 7 with Peters. When he was bowled by Smith for 2 in the 37th, there were still 18 off 19 to get.

Next man was Ryan Cummins. He contributed very little to the scoring. However, he did not lose his wicket (in fact, he only faced one ball). Keedy had Peters playing and missing 3 times in the next over, but he survived, scored 3, and kept the strike. He found Tom Smith much easier to play. He took the 39th over for 13 ? and kept the strike. There were now just two to get off the last over. And then there was just one wicket and one less ball to get them with, Peters departing caught behind off Keedy for 47 off 43.

Five balls, two runs, one wicket. Surplus to requirements bowler Jack Brooks on strike. Dot. Four balls, one wicket left, Northants still one behind. Dot. Three balls, one run in it, one even nervouser number 11!

Keedy gets one to spin?but that just takes Brooks? agricultural slog wide of long-off and across the rope on the second bounce.

Northamptonshire?s first Pro League win of 2009! Van der Wath, as best bowler on either side and top-scorer for the winners, was an uncontroversial Man of the Match. He was in his best bowling form of the season, and had just taken an astonishing 7-22 off 3.4 ? including a hat-trick to finish - to win us our Twenty Over Cup quarter-final with Hampshire. I was very happy to see him finally scoring some runs as well.

Wilmott the newcomer was the best of the Lancs bowlers with 3-43 off his 8. Contrariwise, old hands Chapple and Mahmood made our win possible, going for 3-129 between them (a combined economy rate over 8).

Attachments

• PLvsLancs1.JPG
    PLvsLancs1.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 5
  • PLvsLancs2.JPG
    PLvsLancs2.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 3
Won the 2011 50 over WC final vs South Africa by 108 runs. Lost just 1 match in the whole world cup vs England in the quarter final, I skipped the match because India was already through to the semi's.

Gambhir was out for 96 and Nayar was out for 99 in the final. Now, the next tour is vs West Indies.

INDIA WC.png

lol I just won this game when I probably shouldn't have. Was given 4 sessions to chase down 513. Batsmen were aggressive from the start, and managed to make it with heaps of time left, but only one wicket.

lolwinw.png

lolwin2.png

Henman is a youth player playing his first match. This is the 2010 season (second match of the season)

Wow thats a pretty insane run chase, although i generally have found big run chases aren't that difficult on this game, the most I've chased is like 420 I think.

After world cup the next tour was of West Indies. Won the test series 4-0 but lost the odi series 4-1. Next series vs England. 1st test was a draw, England won the 2nd test and India won the 3rd test by an innings and 255 runs. Gambhir has a new test record of highest individual score, breaking the record of Lara. ;)

ICC.png

ICC 1.png

Last edited:
Well this is my first and only, Test match Tie.

It was most intense low scoring game.

attachment.php

Attachments

• tied test match.png
    tied test match.png
    100.8 KB · Views: 76
Nothing like a good MCC bashing to begin the season. Maybe should have given myself a bit more than a session to bowl them out but I got pretty close anyway. A couple of triple centuries, a double century, an unbeaten century, an unbeaten 50 and a 40 odd. Flowers 5/7 and 3/6 with the ball wasn't enough to take MOTM over Coetzer's 343.

JMHNb.jpg

iClID.jpg

vkFWM.jpg

I tend to just use friendlies as batting practice. All three days of defensive batting to get form up.

Users who are viewing this thread