Do we actually care about cricketing records ?

Do we care about records ?

• Yes

Votes: 37 90.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Every now and then we see a player breaking a World Record or a national record.
But do we actaully care about it ?

Australia won 16 Tests on a trot,thats a record,but do we give it a damn ? I believe the answer to that is NO.
Even Anil Kumble recently claimed his 600th Test wicket.
The player may bask in the glory at that particular moment,but looking back at a few records from now,well,no one gives it a damn.

E.g-India's record of winning 11 or 12 consecutive ODI's on the trot[chasing].

If we broke the record we'd care. When South Africa chased down 434 we cared. Same when Warney hit 700, then when Murali overtook him. Chasing down consecutive ODI's is a little more obscure, but I think we care about the big records.

Well personally I remember them for a week, but then it just fades away...

Well i do.

It helps to know whats the chances of something happening in a match in the given situation.

It adds to the excitement of the match.

I do, its what builds sporting history, its how players are defined as great and teams as champions. If you're making this arguement about Kumble's wickets and Australia's 16 in a row you can argue that then by that same theory Lara and Tendulkars 10,000+ runs are essentiall pointless as well.

I do. Records and statistics are entities that are unaffected by time. After a few years, one is judged by the records.

Well I think one would care about a particular record if it was for his favourite team.

But records can often be used to indicate the greatness of a player, partnership or a team.

For example, the Australians dominance of cricket can easily be reflected from their 16 match winning streak. Steve Waugh did it first and then it was followed by Ricky Ponting, and if you look back it, it basically defines the starting and the current point of the Australian era. (The period when they really became awesome)

Coming to the bowlers, Shane Warne and Murali. We all know how special both are, but if we dint, the fact that they did pick 700+ wickets, would pretty much convince us that they were quite better than the others.

And as far as India's record of winning those games on the trot is concerned, although its no way near the ones mentioned above, it shows that India were going through a long purple patch during that time. I am sure, the Indian fans, will always remember it. But the others??

So really it depends.

You should care about Cricket records, as they are good fun. Informative.

I care because it's rare for Indians to set bowling records and Kumble's 600 will rank as one of the best Indian records for a long time.

About the winning records, it's not so much a matter of numbers, but about which matches you win in getting records.

Australia won 16 Tests on a trot,thats a record,but do we give it a damn ? I believe the answer to that is NO.

I believe YOUR answer to that is no.

India started playing Test cricket in 1932. We won our first Test match in 1952. Took us ten more years to win two in a row. Three in a row had to wait till 1969, and four in a row till 1993. We are yet to win five Test matches in a row.

16 in a row, twice, is truly awe-inspiring.

Give some credit, or lose all credibility.

I care the only people who wouldn't really care is those who doesn't really love cricket.....

The guy who posted first post is one of those who is getting me "p*ssed off" now,

This is to him, who cares if Sachin Tendulkar has most runs in test Cricket?

learn to care about other people if you want us to care about your stuff.
To sum up, stop being ignorant.

I believe YOUR answer to that is no.

India started playing Test cricket in 1932. We won our first Test match in 1952. Took us ten more years to win two in a row. Three in a row had to wait till 1969, and four in a row till 1993. We are yet to win five Test matches in a row.

16 in a row, twice, is truly awe-inspiring.

Give some credit, or lose all credibility.
Well said.

cricket, more than any other sport relies on records, stats and numbers, when someone or a team acheives something special they deserve to be reconised for there acheivment and if we all just forgot about records and milestones special moments in sport would be missed

Users who are viewing this thread