Do we actually care about cricketing records ?

Do we care about records ?

• Yes

Votes: 37 90.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters
Do I care about cricketing records? To a point, it's nice to celebrate milestones, but I'm sure most cricketers (and sportsmen (and fans for that matter)) would agree that match performance is more important. It's all very well celebrating a milestone, but not if you are on the losing team.

I care a lot about it cause how else can you can compare players from different eras and how can you rate a player. Lou Vincent made a phenominal 100 on his debut test match and he's part of an exclusive list but if you look at his career he hasn't maintained it unlike Ganguly who performed a similar feat. Thus Ganguly > Vincent and in 30 years time this will be established when these players are mostly forgotten.

But i agree with Kev whether the game is won or not is more important.

I dont think anyone in India goes gaga over world records like they do in Australia or Sri Lanka when Murli and Warnie were fighting for most wickets in test cricket.

When we had made record chasing wins in ODI cricket no one went over board like 16 wins of Australia in test cricket.

I only really care about the records that Australia hold, and since they hold most the ones that actually mean something, life is good. :cheers

I dont think anyone in India goes gaga over world records like they do in Australia or Sri Lanka when Murli and Warnie were fighting for most wickets in test cricket.

When we had made record chasing wins in ODI cricket no one went over board like 16 wins of Australia in test cricket.

I think saying they went overboard is pathetic frankly. They pulled out of one of the greatest achievements in Cricketing history by winning 16 in a row. They defined themselves as a great side and frankly they deserve a hell of a lot more credit than you're giving them.

I think saying they went overboard is pathetic frankly. They pulled out of one of the greatest achievements in Cricketing history by winning 16 in a row. They defined themselves as a great side and frankly they deserve a hell of a lot more credit than you're giving them.

Next you'll know, we went overboard on our World Cup wins.

Pfft who cares anyway, 20/20 World Cup is where its at, right? :confused:

No. Winning one Test in Australia is where it's at but celebrating 16 Test wins in an a row is ludicrous.

icyman said:
Australia won 16 Tests on a trot,thats a record,but do we give it a damn ? I believe the answer to that is NO.
You will find the forum for jokes in the general area...

You weren't serious right? You weren't honestly saying that winning 16 test matches in a row, tests which last 5 days each and are the ultimate challenge in cricket, tests that on average a team will draw at least every few games, and that a decent team would be happy to lose a test couple of series as long as they win that series, is not worthy of attention and that no one cares?

Obviously intended for the jokes & humour forum.

Maybe that's because the record of test wins is about 10 times more important than the ODI record? On the other hand, the Twenty20 World Cup, that is worth celebrating, test cricket pales into comparison with a tournament that Australia cared enough to lose to Zimbabwe in.

Last edited:
Here's another Australian record that doesn't get enough love IMVHO.

Oh, and we've also won 23 World Cup matches in a row and haven't lost one in 29 matches. Hmm, if you really think about it. We haven't lost a Cricket World Cup match this CENTURY.
wink.gif

The thread topic managed to start at an all time "NO" but it's 100% in favour of yes. How could you down records? It's what adds interest to the game outside of it all. Honestly, can't see as much thrill without records and milestone coming in, during and out of the game.

The thread topic managed to start at an all time "NO" but it's 100% in favour of yes. How could you down records? It's what adds interest to the game outside of it all. Honestly, can't see as much thrill without records and milestone coming in, during and out of the game.
It is an amazing achievement to hold any sporting world record in any category. Except best lawn bowl...

Although I dont think anyone went "ga ga" as such but there is a monumental difference between the two records.

I thought India went "ga ga" after stopping the Australians from winning their 17th. Sadistic pleasure??

I love records they are one reason to keep watching one sided matches. I'm still waiting for an Aussie to get that magic 200 in ODI, would like to see them take back the Test record for highest run chase in 4th inns.

Every now and then we see a player breaking a World Record or a national record.
But do we actaully care about it ?

Australia won 16 Tests on a trot,thats a record,but do we give it a damn ? I believe the answer to that is NO.
Even Anil Kumble recently claimed his 600th Test wicket.
The player may bask in the glory at that particular moment,but looking back at a few records from now,well,no one gives it a damn.

E.g-India's record of winning 11 or 12 consecutive ODI's on the trot[chasing].

I think we do care about records - especially when you're a team like Australia who have jsut about every trophy in world cricket in their cabinet...there isn't a lot left to play for except records....but that sometimes leaves our players looking for individual accolades as well and makes us perform worse.

Users who are viewing this thread