Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

i think whats holdig back BA from doing that is the bowling hud system, which if present will make it too easy t o get wickets if the AI get bamboozled by perfect deliveries and game plan, as it will be too easy to bowl perfect deliveires on trot even in higher difficulties, so if the hud is removed for higher difficulties then BA can implement such system without much fear cause , us bowling a perfect inswinger after 4 out swingers will be more difficult without the hud and if managed would be worth a wicket or mishap.

I think that the way that BA have implemented an elegant analog approach to bowling means that, even with the HUD in place, it is not necessarily easy to bowl perfect deliveries (at least I can't...there is always a degree of variation even when I try to bowl consecutive balls the same). I don't think it's about complete bamboozlement either (unless bowling against a real rabbit). Just enough to improve the chance of getting a wicket...not a certain wicket by any means...it can't look formulaic (3 short balls + 1 yorker = wicket)...but enough to feel that good bowling, with appropriate variation gets rewarded across the duration of a match.

Sometimes there seems no rhyme or reason for it, I bowl a very accurate leg spin line and occasionally vary length and delivery and I can honestly say there isn't a magic delivery that will get a certain batsman every time. In a way its a good thing because on previous cricket games once you worked out what to bowl( took about an hour or two) you could roll through teams for less than 10. I've had amazing spells in t20i games and even ODIs just bowling sliders drifters and flighted deliveries with the occasional googly thrown in but on pro in tests you don't get it all your own way. Like I said I think its a good thing, but it does seem a bit random sometimes!

For what its worth, I've been experimenting with a new career on Legend / No Hud, with audio assistance turned on. I can comfortably say that for me its just as easy to get wickets as a debut leg spinner as it is on other difficulties. I finished my debut First Class game with 8/76 after 25 or so overs. I gave away more runs than I would do normally due to loose deliveries but wickets seemed just as easy to get - there wasn't even a step up in difficulty from Pro from what I've noticed. The only way I can conceivably make bowling more challenging as it stands at the moment is turning off the audio assistance completely.

Last edited:
you are born legend bowler mate, i for have cursed dhoni to death for making me bowl 40 odd over wicketless finally scalping a couple towars the end on my debut, a repeating pattern in most matches, im just a alllrounder and he keeps bowling me to ground.

Its just muscle memory mate really, and that just comes from playing a lot of the same deliveries. I figured that I needed to take the next step, as I realised that although I was watching the meters still, I wasnt really paying attention to them any more. The meters become a crutch, and you think you need them, but turn them off and after a few overs you realise that they don't really matter at all. After a small adjustment time, you settle back into your own natural flow.

Bowling assistance (for a spinner) gives you 3 beeps - its easier than the meter in a sense. Time each stick rotation with the beeps and the third beep sounds a little different. Just complete the third rotation and pull up the RAS on that beep, and you're golden.

The problem with bowling is as others have said, each ball is isolated. There is no sense of building pressure, bowling to a plan or pattern.

Last time I played the game, I bowled a lenth outswinger, on off stump, at 90mph and was smashed for 4 over mid on first ball of a test match. Second ball was another outswinger, it passed an inch or two outside off stump and the batsman stepped to leg and left it. Third ball was a bouncer which hit him. 4th ball another off stump away swinger on off stump, carted over cover for four. 5th ball a similar ball slightly fuller smashed over mid on again for four... I simulated at that point.

5 good balls, in a "good area"... The line and length were good and i was generating good pace - all 88-90mph - indicating my timing was good. Smashed for 12 in the first over of a test match. So literally, WTF is the point in bowling? Great controls, horrible horrible system. The only way I have found you can have any sense of bowling to a pattern is bouncers on a good line they tend to defend or get hit and eventeullay hit one to a fielder...But when you slip in the yorker or even length ball, it's not an edge or even a streaky drive as they go "bloody hell, not a short one!" but a perfectly middled smash.

I believe I've found a bug in career mode, something I'm not sure if anyone has experienced.

I played well in T20s for Hampshire and got selected for Melbourne Stars. After one series there, as I had played well, my next match showed up against England (my home team is India). I thought these are some side T20 games as I was expecting selection in IPL while Indian team selection had couple of stages to go. Now I've finished England series where I played well and got offer from IPL teams.

Strangely enough, now my selection status for Indian T20 is "Expecting Selection" while stats from that England series are appearing against T20I. I'm a regular member of IPL now.

Just thought BigAnt might want to have a look at it, I'm happy to represent India before official selection :D

well i just played for the first time in a couple of weeks. it was pretty good. there was one ball from a medium pacer (AI) that bounced half way down and passed the stumps at ankle height, but it wasn't straight so was annoying but not fatal.

they've got to fix the ball in the air, constant AI field changes, and the spinners opening every innings except the first and batting becomes pretty decent.

still cannot be bothered with bowling though - no enjoyment to that whatsoever.

I think Rob said that it was 3 balls of the same type decreased the batting timing window for the next delivery if it was different. Algorithms tend to be formulaic by definition :D

I think each similar ball decreased the timing window if the same ball was bowled again. the 4th after 3 was pretty powerful so long as you got the execution right for the previous balls.

Users who are viewing this thread