Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

So I'm playing a 16 team knockout of the format as described above. Playing with lots of teams I made in the academy.

Just over half way through the first round of matches:

WI 1984 bt SA 1970 (I beat AI)
Canada beat All Time Associates (AI beat me)
Weaklings beat England 86/87 (AI beat me)
WI Rebels beat Western Province 82 (I beat AI)
Barbarians beat Arosa Sri Lanka (I beat AI)

Been the most fun I've had with DBC. 4 ball overs mean you don't get bored bowling, there's always an over change & something new to think of coming up. Have seen some real differences in conditions, effects of bowling plan etc. had rain interruptions, close games, big wins, a big defeat (vs Weaklings I didn't time a shot hardly in 1st innings, barely 5 boundaries in the whole inns).

Yeah would have liked a few more edges but I've had a few, got some great LBWs etc. & importantly played through whole matches without ever feeling I was slogging through trying to fight the game.

So I'm playing a 16 team knockout of the format as described above. Playing with lots of teams I made in the academy.

Just over half way through the first round of matches:

WI 1984 bt SA 1970 (I beat AI)
Canada beat All Time Associates (AI beat me)
Weaklings beat England 86/87 (AI beat me)
WI Rebels beat Western Province 82 (I beat AI)
Barbarians beat Arosa Sri Lanka (I beat AI)

Been the most fun I've had with DBC. 4 ball overs mean you don't get bored bowling, there's always an over change & something new to think of coming up. Have seen some real differences in conditions, effects of bowling plan etc. had rain interruptions, close games, big wins, a big defeat (vs Weaklings I didn't time a shot hardly in 1st innings, barely 5 boundaries in the whole inns).

Yeah would have liked a few more edges but I've had a few, got some great LBWs etc. & importantly played through whole matches without ever feeling I was slogging through trying to fight the game.
Just read your last post and I play with 80s team Australia v West Indies and I had the same happen when it comes to boundaries played first 25 overs in a 50 over one dayer didnt hit one then saved game to come back later. Came bsck later to finish match and in last 25 hit about 11 boundaries ended up being a great game WI made 6/268 Aus all out for 256

Has there been an update released on PC?

I was playing the game today and there seem to be a few changes. The fielder out ran a catch, the spin bowling is a lot better, new field placing and better death bowling by AI (bowled 2 yorkers and a slower short bowl in one of the overs).

Just wondering has anyone else noticed changes to the game.

Mates I just need to know if there is a way to change player role from all rounder when making a player In DBC Academy..
I am trying to make a team of my own with all the players created. So i need help on how to change the player role......

Any help will be appreciated and thanks in advance

Something that happened in the game yesterday blew my mind:

It was an "unbelievable" catch, but at the same time totally realistic.

I middled a cut just in front of square; cover point diving to his left at full stretch snatched it one handed out the air. It was the best catch I've seen in the game because there was no warping of the player, no covering of a huge distance, just a realistic (albeit unlikely) instant reaction and an amazing catch.

Really wonderful.

Just played one of the best games ever on DBC14. So realistic and a proper nail-biting game. Was 56/5 at one point, but got to 183 and just about defended it. In the last over they needed 15 and SA only got 10. Great game.

Was a really slow pitch so had to use all my spinners, didn't even use Mohammad Irfan at all.
upload_2016-4-13_14-55-8.png

No I hadn't simmed any of this match, I rarely do.

It's a custom format I made precisely so I don't get bored bowling & can play every ball.

40 4-ball overs, 2 innings each. 8 overs per bowler, no fielding or bouncer restrictions, test match wides. Great fun.

@blockerdave in a custom match(15 overs) if i want 3 overs per bowler then how to do that because once i noticed in a custom 15 over match there was a bowler who was delivering his 4th over.

Mates I just need to know if there is a way to change player role from all rounder when making a player In DBC Academy..
I am trying to make a team of my own with all the players created. So i need help on how to change the player role......

Any help will be appreciated and thanks in advance

you need to goto roaster then select the player then goto his Skills there you can see different skills if you want him to be a bowler then u should decrease his all batting skills near to 0.
or if u want him to be a batsman then you have to decrease his ALL bowling skills near to 0. if u want him to be a allrounder then both bowling and batting skills need to be increase.
by doing these thins u will notice a change in the role of a player which as the top of the skills of a player there is will be written if he is batsman or bowler or allrounder.
i hope this helps.

@blockerdave in a custom match(15 overs) if i want 3 overs per bowler then how to do that because once i noticed in a custom 15 over match there was a bowler who was delivering his 4th over.

the only thing i can think of was that you didn't click the over limitations. if you did, then not sure mate sorry - whenever i've done custom formats with bowler over restrictions, it's always divided the number of overs by 5.

I don't know why, but I like playing CM with the random players that were already in the game, rather than the "real" ones that you can download in the academy. Maybe it gives some kind of uniqueness to the career.

Got 4 edges in one innings, on a good pitch in clear weather!!!

A thick edge through vacant backward point & trickled for 4. Driven edge to keeper, a bottom edged cut into the stumps, and best of all, batsman charged the spinner & inside edged it to keeper!! (Thinking now it may have been 5 edges, there was an edge/glove that didn't carry to keeper as well.)

Made it 8 or 9 edges over the course of the 2 innings.

Yes yes, I'm 1984 West Indies vs Canada, but still!!

there are more edges if the AI difficulty level is low or the batsman skills are low

Last edited:
you need to goto roaster then select the player then goto his Skills there you can see different skills if you want him to be a bowler then u should decrease his all batting skills near to 0.
or if u want him to be a batsman then you have to decrease his ALL bowling skills near to 0. if u want him to be a allrounder then both bowling and batting skills need to be increase.
by doing these thins u will notice a change in the role of a player which as the top of the skills of a player there is will be written if he is batsman or bowler or allrounder.
i hope this helps.

Then how to create a wicket keeper?

Some additional observations I’ve had on bowling, positive and negative. I’ve bowled a lot in the last couple of weeks, and I’ve began to appreciate a few things I hadn’t before.

The AI is very tough on line, particularly on the leg side. Anything on leg stump or outside tends to be dispatched. This is generally a good thing, but I’d throw in the following observation: it’s nigh on impossible to leg glance a Yorker (even one outside leg stump) for 6 between the keeper and fine-leg, yet in DBC it’s something both the AI and human player can do with ease and little risk. I’d also say there is a problem that ALL AI players seem to have this ability punish the legside equally, regardless of skill set-up or general ability. I think it’s also a shame the AI doesn’t seem to have any penalty or risk for hitting across the line.

Similarly, on the offside they are brutal on anything too wide of off-stump if it’s a certain length: anything on the short side of a good length tends to be cut. Though I did notice they might play and miss a lot if you have a taller bowler / extra bounce. A full ball outside off stump tends to result in a leave or a drive that they will miss quite often. The drives they cream tend to be full and straighter – which is a tad unrealistic. Again, the negative would be that the batsman’s skill (in terms of general ability and cross-batted shots in particular) is irrelevant or very nearly so. The biggest negatives on offside bowling are the fact of no corridor of uncertainty – probing the off-stump to 5th stump line doesn’t appear to have any beneficial effect in terms of likelihood of any type of wicket, edge or otherwise; and also that a very full ball (Yorker) just outside off stump will ALWAYS result in a leave.

Finally, as others have said, I do think moving about the crease and mixing up the types (pace) of delivery is important, and it’s essential that you’re getting both needles in the green in terms of timing and length. From an edges perspective, I have a hunch that the majority of the ones I’ve got have been with taller bowlers, bowling the full end of a good length with scrambled seam but (and this does appear to be key) that you’re not bowling that all the time but mixing it up. This is entirely anecdotal, so could be wrong. The best LBW’s I’ve got have been shorter FM bowlers bowling fast full leg cutters or away swingers on a middle-stump-ish line from close to the wickets. (Obviously, with what I said about the leg stump line thing, your margin for error here is small.)

I do think that there is an excellent system there somewhere, but it’s been hidden by the issues around the general lack of variety of AI batsmen and no obvious impact of the skills/attributes, invisible aggression differences, overpowered lower order batsmen and the “balancer effect” where cheap-top order wickets guarantee a lower-order stand (Canada slumping to 90/7 then numbers 8 & 9 scoring 50 and 40 vs Holding, Marshall, Garner & Baptiste… I think not.), and of course most especially the general lack of edges relative to what would be expected in a real match (not just wickets but ones falling short or flying off).

It’s interesting to see how these are resolved while keeping the good bits, but I’d say that for the first time (yes, 2 years in!) I’m actually having fun bowling, and feeling more confident that the basics are there.

Users who are viewing this thread