Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

I must admit, I'm tempering my excitement for BA Cricket....I've been playing RLL2 (another of BA's titles) a fair bit lately and I'm not sold on the gameplay entirely. Perhaps RL can be a little more helter skelter and chaotic than a cricket game and therefore harder to replicate, but until I see some videos of gameplay and have a better feel for how it plays overall I won't get carried away with the promise of what I've seen so far.

That said maybe I'm just not that good at RLL2, in fact that's more than probable.....

What would be awesome is ingame ICC rankings or something. Top 10 bowlers/batters/all rounders in all formats of the game and you can see how you rank etc. Compete with others.. T'would be a nice DLC xD

My IC10 review questioned whether it's actually possible to make a realistic cricket game. Is the sport just too complicated and nuanced?
well the earlier cricket games were based on the fact the cricket is pretty straightforward game ie (bat, bowl and field)
thats why there is lack of depth as you pointed out in your review... But i never thought that it is a complicated game and that is why no one ever made the game right..
I may be wrong though

My IC10 review questioned whether it's actually possible to make a realistic cricket game. Is the sport just too complicated and nuanced?

If you were to take elements of the cricket games that have been made over the years and combine them you would have a pretty realistic game.

The problem has been that each game has had gamebreaking flaws, caused by improper playtesting and coding weaknesses.

MLB The Show has realism and accurately portrays a bat and ball game so it must be possible to create a very good cricket game.

The mistakes of developers are repeatedly though to treat this forum as a platform for PR, rather than engaging to use the expertise of Barmy, zimrahil etc to actually get the game playing right before release.

The Bigant saga is another in this long line of promising the earth before anything has been delivered. That can only lead to disappointment I fear.

well the earlier cricket games were based on the fact the cricket is pretty straightforward game ie (bat, bowl and field)
thats why there is lack of depth as you pointed out in your review... But i never thought that it is a complicated game and that is why no one ever made the game right..
I may be wrong though

I think there were some good foundations and then no one took a risk thereafter.

Depth was one issue. Obviously no-one ever bothered (until now) to actually add the career mode, tours etc and there's no denying that the gameplay improved but EA in particular were incredibly bad at not fixing bugs that had gone through 4 or 5 iterations of the game. Instead we could would get a roster update and a new "feature" such as a camera angle.
Ultimately Trickstar/Transmission fell into the same trap as whilst they may have started out trying to create a base then add features, financial considerations/sales meant that they went the EA route for new releases and depth was pushed yet again to "next time".
I think the reason fans are so excited about Big Ant Cricket is that you guys aren't pushing the features for next time; you're including them all now. It's what we've all been screaming for since BLC99. Every release without fail fans get over-excited and over-hype their expectations so it is sometimes hard to believe that this time will be different. Inevitably those of us who've seen a few releases do end up getting cynical.
However I've put my doubts to one side for the time being as I don't think it's productive to repeat them. Bottom line is that everyone here, even Martyn, wants Big Ant to succeed with this.

I think there were some good foundations and then no one took a risk thereafter.

Yes risk is something on everyone mind with a cricket game, having career, tours so on is a good way to get the hardcore fans going crazy but for large sales is something that has not worked well in the past, sure the ashes back to back series this year will help. Like you said before ross you think you will lose money on the first game as you are unknown but do you have to, look at the last of us, 3.5 million sales in 3 weeks of release. The best thing for a new series of games is always word of mouth, if your game is as good as we hope then people will start to talk about it at work/school so on. PS Good luck as we will hope to see a future for cricket in the near future.:clap

Bottom line is that everyone here, even Martyn, wants Big Ant to succeed with this.

Yes Ross (I feel we are on first name terms now) please don't misunderstand my motivations.

While I remain puzzled by your secretive style (is he a mad genius?) I think you have a skill at making games that few others have.

I just want to help you avoid some of the horrific errors that have killed cricket game franchises in the past, and ensure that if you have made any mistakes you get the right feedback to fix them.

And if I give this game a good review I'm guessing you might even punch the air lol.

Well 79C, I have no doubt this game will have the best graphics, most content, and the best pre-and-after sales support, where anyone here should have doubt is the same place I have doubt, we have fundamentally changed the way you play - this is the risk - this is where the scepticism should be - no video is going to do it for you. Make no mistake, I am going to give you a beautiful trailer but it will not be before you have a controller in your hand that you will understand if it is a good game or not.

In that respect I have nervous tension that I suspect is like a comedy writer who prays that he isn't the only one that laughs at his jokes.

In which case think of it as how well you've done to only have one vocal critic and not more.

The features are amazing as simple as that and the support for CA has been amazing also, if they get close to nailing the gameplay when the game does release then win, SIMPLE AS THAT. PS Ross gameplay is all that is left to prove, when you are ready I mean as I am not asking for anything, it's the last piece of a juicy pie or CAKE.:clap

----------

Well 79C, I have no doubt this game will have the best graphics, most content, and the best pre-and-after sales support, where anyone here should have doubt is the same place I have doubt, we have fundamentally changed the way you play - this is the risk - this is where the scepticism should be - no video is going to do it for you. Make no mistake, I am going to give you a beautiful trailer but it will not be before you have a controller in your hand that you will understand if it is a good game or not.

In that respect I have nervous tension that I suspect is like a comedy writer who prays that he isn't the only one that laughs at his jokes.

We all respect you and bigant hands down ross, taking a risk is always a plus in my books. PS If you feel your game will be to hard for casual fans then there is still time for putting some training wheels on if you want to, like a pitch marker.:spy

----------

Controller in my hands, is that a hint;) for NETS in CA ross, if maybe please warn us and I will go buy one for my pc.:p
PS Trailers are important but as others have said, you can not tell how good a game is by a 2 minute trailer, like someone else said somewhere on this forum. I would do a features trailer, showing career/tours/weather so on with only a little gameplay, when you are ready I mean ross.:wave

No it isn't - I mean that I suggest you get along to a play session or speak/converse with someone who has before buying the game.

Would like to see some feature trailers too. Preferably with commentaries explaining the feature with all the details.

Users who are viewing this thread