Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

Well this would be too much to ask for but does the umpire give warning to the Bowler for stepping in the restricted area I.e. middle of the pitch after bowling
As seen in the video when the bowler steps on restricted area on his follow through

Ross ?

If that is the case timing will be based on the trajectory and anticipated speed of the delivery rather than guessing based on the bowlers release...even fielding will seem more natural. Brilliant idea-2 thumbs up.

Indeed, it's a great idea. And in case you're interested, fielding can be fully automatic, semi-automatic or manual.

Picking the ball up out of the hand works incredibly well in MLB: The Show. Only makes sense for it to be in a cricket game. Regardless of the 'comet'/trail, it is already a better representation of cricket than pre-determining your shot based on a pitch marker.

Other cricket games have used an element of confidence to determine the effectiveness of a batsmens shots and or a bowlers effectiveness. Will DBC incorporate confidence into the game.

If that is the case timing will be based on the trajectory and anticipated speed of the delivery rather than guessing based on the bowlers release...even fielding will seem more natural. Brilliant idea-2 thumbs up.

Yeah the more I think about the comet the more I like the idea of it, for people who don't like it just think about this. It's a game you are not out there like in real life, some help will be needed as it's a game .:thumbs

PS Ross just a guess as I know very little about making games, the comet was there when you were making the game to get the physics right at the start.
Meaning like hit the red trail in the middle of the bat and that's the reason why you can get more realistic edges and play and misses plus the ball was added last.

I'm I close or should I stick with my day-time job at the nut house.:p
PS Would love to hear how you worked it out and moves away from pitch markers. Thanks .:clap

Confidence and momentum have both been a part of every sports game we've made - same for Don Bradman Cricket 14 - nothing like being in front and trying to stem the flow as the opposition get on a roll.

Those that have played the AFL/NRL games will no doubt attest to this.

----------

Yeah the more I think about the comet the more I like the idea of it, for people who don't like it just think about this. It's a game you are not out there like in real life, some help will be needed as it's a game .:thumbs

PS Ross just a guess as I know very little about making games, the comet was there when you were making the game to get the physics right at the start.
Meaning like hit the red trail in the middle of the bat and that's the reason why you can get more realistic edges and play and misses plus the ball was added last.

I'm I close or should I stick with my day-time job at the nut house.:p
PS Would love to hear how you worked it out and moves away from pitch markers. Thanks .:clap

The golden rules in our games are minimal HUD (it no pitch marker), minimal camera switches, NO quick time events and as much responsiveness from the controller as you can at any time.

What you find with pitch markers is you spend your time concentrating on them rather than the ball. It's easy to lock in line and length and let things play out but we think it's just not the way to go. I will say that it is a good design for "Amateur" levels of difficulty as kids can pick it up and play it a bit faster than ours but you fast grow past it and the controls become muscle memory rather than skill.

We trialled a lot systems and the comet was the best, it takes the focus from the pitch and related markers, and gets your eyes looking at the ball.

Confidence and momentum are sport ross, if you lose it like the aussies did in the last test then your gone.:facepalm

For cricket it's a mind game as much as skill, if you are batting at 5 and the score is 30 or 330 is a huge difference. The things we will be looking for in your game when it does release.

I always said test cricket is like a boxing ring or a chess game, looking for a opening to make your move. PS even in AFL how often do you see a side up by say 35 points to fight back and win by 10. It's the reason we love sport, what ever sport you like.

----------

Confidence and momentum have both been a part of every sports game we've made - same for Don Bradman Cricket 14 - nothing like being in front and trying to stem the flow as the opposition get on a roll.

Those that have played the AFL/NRL games will no doubt attest to this.

----------

The golden rules in our games are minimal HUD (it no pitch marker), minimal camera switches, NO quick time events and as much responsiveness from the controller as you can at any time.

What you find with pitch markers is you spend your time concentrating on them rather than the ball. It's easy to lock in line and length and let things play out but we think it's just not the way to go. I will say that it is a good design for "Amateur" levels of difficulty as kids can pick it up and play it a bit faster than ours but you fast grow past it and the controls become muscle memory rather than skill.

We trialled a lot systems and the comet was the best, it takes the focus from the pitch and related markers, and gets your eyes looking at the ball.

Yeah ross your 100% right, in ic2010 I would know as some as I new where the ball would pitch which shot to play.
meaning playing down the wrong line was rare plus the only problem you had was the timing windows. I would get out so much in that game because I got bored by say the 25 to 35 over mark.

I bet the ball comes at us a lot slower on easy to say hard level in your game right. Meaning play and misses and bowled will happen a lot till we train are self's to watch the ball and bowler and not the pitch for once, this will take some time of course.

PS Play and misses/ leaving the ball, do you find it easy to leave the ball and not look like a dick being bowled over and over again.

Last edited:
Assuming, DBC14 will be released in late September or in October,
its interesting to know how the release will be timed for Table Top cricket(If it is getting released in this year). As there are chances that the charm of DBC14 could overshadow it.
Ross, your views on it?

TableTop has a different audience, I think :)

I wouldn't think I'd be in the target audience for TableTop Cricket but I'd definitely consider buying it if the game looked good. After all, every other cricket game I've played seemed to be an arcade style game, might as well get an arcade game then.

What I find most intriguing is the batting cam idea. In MLB it's easy to implement from straight behind as the batter stands to the side of the plate, conversely though in cricket, the stumps are part obscured by the batsman. It will be interesting to see where the camera is positioned to allow the player the ability to see something like a leg stump yorker or a legspinner bowled from round the wicket.

I have grown to like the bowling animation. It may not be a super-slick Dennis Lillee one but it looks realistic. If anything, since most bowlers across all levels of cricket don't have super-slick bowling actions this one makes more sense. The point regarding the adaptive animation is also very important and interested.

Hi Ross i have a humble request that please add more Crests or Icons or logos for teams in the game so we can have lot more choices to choose team icons, Best wishes.

Table top cricket will be used as warm up and cool down work out before and after playing dbc 14.

I have grown to like the bowling animation. It may not be a super-slick Dennis Lillee one but it looks realistic. If anything, since most bowlers across all levels of cricket don't have super-slick bowling actions this one makes more sense. The point regarding the adaptive animation is also very important and interested.

Yeah the adaptive animation is the key here and utterly brilliant. Each input I give will mean the animation will adapt and will change and be blended accordingly. No more "button a has been pressed therefore sit back and watch it unfold". Now I can have up to the release of the ball or the actual executuion of the shot real intuitive influence on the play and see that reflected on the screen in front of me.

This means that I have to take what I see in sneak peek videos as bowling actions and batting processes with a pinch of salt.....there has to be space for inputs to be blended into animations......I cant fill everything up with pre destined animations but have to wait for the inputs of the player.....that is what we are seeing on the screen.

Once we get the game in our hands and are playing we will know beyond doubt that this was the right way to go.......

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread