Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

This intrigues me. The fact Ross hasn't commented on it suggests that this was the initial plan but with the AC13 delay we may be seeing a release after that point.
Personally I can't get my head round the reason for being worried about AC13. From what we know they are still struggling to get a playable simulation so the idea that they are going to copy and add all of DB14's features if they are revealed is laughable.
From what Ross said in another thread about the Australian market being more profitable than the UK one that starts to imply to me that we're looking at late November.
It's crap for all the fans. We should have had AC13 already and now it looks like we're going to have to wait longer for DB14 because of that delay. Would love to be wrong on this but that's the sense I'm getting.
I can see the arguments for not releasing it now as the Ashes window has been missed and if you are looking at maximising revenue it doesn't make sense to consider a release until the Ashes down under start.

A while ago there were a couple of interesting posts he mentioned about the potential damage done to DBC14 sales if it releases after AC13. This was said around June, whilst it was still very much so a laughing stock.
However, the wheel changes and I can't help but have one side of my person thinking that Ross has such utter confidence in this game that he'll accept potential financial losses on this game to bury the AC13 game (Don't for one minute think that his personal emotions on the matter have clouded the prospective financial implications). Releasing it close to it, although it'll give the customer an option of the two, the excess investments and unplanned development costs of AC13 now need to generate a larger return to continue with the chain. If they don't, their licenses are up for grabs and there is only one company making cricket games.
The double-edged knife of it all is that if Ross' release hit over 1 million units (doing so I'd presume it couldn't release weeks in relation to AC13), EA potentially would consider developing another. With such an established sporting wing of that company, I'm sure that's not competition many would welcome.
Personally I think it's a bit of brilliant tact. All along Ross stated that he didn't expect to make profits yet alone break even of the first, however, if he does manage to damage AC13's sales thus then time for the next release he'll have little to no viable competition. Brilliant, utterly brilliant.

Whatever be the release date, there needs to be at least 1 month gap between the release date of DBC 14 and Ashes 13...So even if Ashes 13 releases as late as 30th November, DBC 14 will have to be released between 20-25 October.........

So the next two weeks won't be a bad time to announce the release date i.e around 50 days before the release of the game...:thumbs

PS:For all their faults, It would be foolish of Big Ant to presume that Ashes 13 won't make a November release date...

On the other hand he's said that it's good for the sector for Trickstar to produce a decent game - harms everyone if they don't.
As fans we also want competition. As EA showed as soon as you're the only producer you can make what you like each year and know people will buy it.

----------

PS:For all their faults, It would be foolish of Big Ant to presume that Ashes 13 won't make a November release date...

Why? It's a tight window and we don't know if they've solved their Unity issues yet. I have no info on this but I'm not confident that Trickstar will make November after what has happened up till now.

Well, I'll tell you this; If it looks like Trickstar are going to miss their November date, then you can bet you'll see an announcement quick-smart and a release date confirmed shortly after for October.

If it looks like they're on track for November and going to hit the date, it's 50/50 on whether we see DBC14 before December as they may want to have plenty of breathing room if it's as bad as we're hearing.

If it looks like they're on track for November and going to hit the date, it's 50/50 on whether we see DBC14 before December as they may want to have plenty of breathing room if it's as bad as we're hearing.
All the more reason to go first with the better product.

On the other hand he's said that it's good for the sector for Trickstar to produce a decent game - harms everyone if they don't.
As fans we also want competition. As EA showed as soon as you're the only producer you can make what you like each year and know people will buy it.

Yes, there's a possibility for a game developer to become content if there's only one company, there's also the entirety of the market as probable customers (that alone is certainly some form of checks and balances?). I think BA rightfully bank a lot of their reputation on the support/interaction they've had with their previous titles and the customers, so I don't think becoming complacent is an option for them. This having been said, to maximise revenue/license interests for the next game, the best thing for it is to not have another cricket game to compete with. Removing the competition and reaping the rewards, it's rarely proven to be wrong and it's certainly a good option if not the only option for a company wanting to make a series of games under the same title. In short, the game itself is superior to AC13, it's the marketing and timing of the release which are the decisive things now.

All the more reason to go first with the better product.

IF it's better... we don't know that yet. If they go first (and they're indeed better) people may get confused over which product is which, pick up Ashes instead, that sort of thing. It's a risk if your product isn't as good as you say it is, it's even MORE of a risk if your game is amazing, because people will have more goodwill picking up Ashes at that point. It's always easier to just play the safe option and stay miles away from each other. Then you throw in some MASSIVE titles releasing around that period, you're lost in the noise of Assassin's Creeds and Grand Theft Autos...

...and, we are of course assuming Ashes is going to be terrible, they could have resurrected zeus' baby in the past few months and got keepers with torso's working?

Last edited:

I think they have to release in October regardless. Even if AC is as bad as everyone fears, the Ashes name etc. will get it sales. DBC has to give itself time to establish and word of how good it is to circulate to get out before christmas.

We all know AC isn't going to be able to improve much between now and November taking into account time for testing, submissions etc. if i was in BA / TruBlu i would be getting DBC out mid/late Sept, and letting DBC be established as the bar AC should be reaching.

If AC isn't out in Nov, it won't be out ever. So BA should work to that assumption. Get DBC and out beforehand, if every review of AC was saying it's inferior to DBC than it's job done.

Ross are we going to see manual fielding/keeping video anytime soon?
Perhaps a manual stumping footage and getting a batsman runout

IF it's better... we don't know that yet. If they go first (and they're indeed better) people may get confused over which product is which, pick up Ashes instead, that sort of thing.
Ashes won't be on the market if they release first - and they also have a higher number, a better cover and word of mouth marketing from people playing it.

And failing that, there's that 7 day return period at EB.

...and, we are of course assuming Ashes is going to be terrible, they could have resurrected zeus' baby in the past few months and got keepers with torso's working?
Well if it isn't, even more reason to release first, because then there wouldn't be the market of disappointed people looking for another game.

then there wouldn't be the market of disappointed people looking for another game.

Absolutely. If AC releases first and is a stinker, how many people won't buy another cricket game for a while because they will be thinking "all cricket games are a let down"... I can't believe BA won't want to get in first.

Ashes won't be on the market if they release first - and they also have a higher number, a better cover and word of mouth marketing from people playing it...

That's where my money has been all along, October. But I think the November date has thrown a spanner in the works being so close to their intended date, reading between the lines on Ross' posts. I'm just playing devils advocate here of course...

Best game is always going to win the longevity race anyway...

That's where my money has been all along, October. But I think the November date has thrown a spanner in the works being so close to their intended date, reading between the lines on Ross' posts. I'm just playing devils advocate here of course...

Best game is always going to win the longevity race anyway...

Far from throwing a spanner in the works it would have made me announce my release date and increase goodwill when you actually stick to it.

P.s. ross i am available as amarketing consultant, i just require a copy of the game, a bigger TV to play it on and expenses for my beer o clock as its a long way to melbourne to join in yours.

Well, I'll tell you this; If it looks like Trickstar are going to miss their November date, then you can bet you'll see an announcement quick-smart and a release date confirmed shortly after for October.

Doesn't matter if Ashes 13 is released or not, releasing this game after November (especially after late November) will prove a huge setback for this game for the following reasons...

1.Watchdogs,AC 4 and all other AAA games start releasing after October....
2.Not to forget the next gen consoles are releasing this year...

The above two reasons may not be valid for a gamer/cricket fan.
But they make a world of difference for a gamer/casual sports fan...

July to September may not be a Cricket season in Australia but it is the time when good new games are at a scarcity and any gamer(casual or hardcore) would love to get their hands on a new game at this time....

PS:Please Big Ant don't follow Ashes 13 release as their release date is as crappy as their game was two months ago..

Nobodies releasing a cricket game in September. We've established this pages ago...

NextGEN console releases won't effect DBC14 one bit, since it's built for PS3/XBOX360 consoles and PC.

Sports titles generally aren't affected all that much by the bigger title releases, but they can get lost in the noise, that I'll agree with.

Users who are viewing this thread