Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

apesnani, take a look at the helmet cam view video released for DBC. That is more close to what you will be getting than this, which is apparently a debug mode.

@biggs, @punk

i believe the point ross made was that because the bowling action is not canned animation, but based on user input, that is why it won't always look particularly smooth.

@apesani - the point is that above, plus the fact it was not a quick delivery, is why it looks like that.

all was covered in the BARS video thread.

regarding physics, when you look at the ball move off the ground here, and the deflection in the replay video mikey posted when it clips the stumps, you can see there is no problem with the physics.

We know when we're bowling the animation won't be as fluid as TAOC video, which is fine; i'd prefer complete user input and reduced 'animation' any day.

However, I assume when the AI is bowling the animation will be pretty much flawless? Or does the system they've used for user input somehow have an effect on the overall animations within the game?

What happens if 505 doesn't spill the news of their trAshes? Who will make the first move? Maybe trickstar/505 have adopted the 20-27 day window between announcement and release, they seem to have wanting to copy everything Big Ant/Tru Blu are doing

*chess game*

He doesnt have a fair point. It matters nowt. DBC is the game we will be playing and Art of Cricket is the game that never happened. Again, which of those two games is more real?

Yes one game is dead, but does that not mean that we can not look at the good part of what we saw.

its like saying that man that invented mobile phone is dead, lets not use mobile phones any more or refer to his invention in anyway.

All I was saying was, that there is something as a point of reference. Nothing wrong in making a comparison.

Yes this game is real and will be in our hands, but that does not mean it cannot be improved.

----------

apesnani, take a look at the helmet cam view video released for DBC. That is more close to what you will be getting than this, which is apparently a debug mode.

Hey thanks for pointing that out. yes the ball speed in there looks that of a proper fast bowler!

its like saying that man that invented mobile phone is dead, lets not use mobile phones any more or refer to his invention in anyway

Actually, no it's not. It's like saying "here's an iPhone 5c, however I really like the green screen of the Nokia 5110 which is better than the iOS interface, so can you make it more like that please even though it's a dead product"

That's how you analogy.

The delivery animations use completely different technology to the AOC stuff, because it's better technology. Nothing is ever going to look photo-realistic in a cricket title I'm sorry. Not going to happen. In my opinon, the DBC stuff looks just super and way better than the comic-like motions of the YouTube video you posted. Different people, different tastes. Looks great, better than anything we've had thus far. That's the bar, for better or worse.

That being said, we've walked this road months ago. If you want to know what the developers said about the feedback, I suggest searching out that thread and having a read. You'll learn a ton about how the game uses animations to create plenty of variety based on user-input. It's quite cool and certainly better than any AOC stuff or a Nokia 5110.

Yes one game is dead, but does that not mean that we can not look at the good part of what we saw.

its like saying that man that invented mobile phone is dead, lets not use mobile phones any more or refer to his invention in anyway.

All I was saying was, that there is something as a point of reference. Nothing wrong in making a comparison.

Yes this game is real and will be in our hands, but that does not mean it cannot be improved.

----------

Hey thanks for pointing that out. yes the ball speed in there looks that of a proper fast bowler!

I really just do not get people who want life to be disappointing. Why be dissatisfied with something before even trying it??

None of us have ever, ever, ever played TAOC but it is quite happily used as an example of "a better game".

And how can we already draw conclusions about "the game could be better" before playing a single second on it. If you want to tell me bout what you thought of IC10 or Cricket 07 fair enough.

I really do not get the logic.

None of us have ever, ever, ever played TAOC but it is quite happily used as an example of "a better game".
They did release an alpha, just it's a game where you can only bat and bowl, with no fielding. Can't see that working out...

As an aside, of course when you painstakingly recreate one player's action frame by frame with no motion capture, it's going to look fairly close to their action - I can't imagine that's possible on a large enough scale. A good number of generic actions is all we can really hope for, especially without licences.

Umm? Pretty sure a lot of us have actually they released a alpha, which was pretty fun for what it was

They did release an alpha, just it's a game where you can only bat and bowl, with no fielding. Can't see that working out...

No-one would be that stupid......oh wait a minute......

Anyway the discussion around a game that no one has played being better than a game no one has played is quite extraordinary even for PC standards.

----------

Umm? Pretty sure a lot of us have actually they released a alpha, which was pretty fun for what it was

You cannot say that is a game.

Of course it isn't but who said we were comparing full games here? It is a bit off the radar to say DBC animations are bad as they look pretty good imo and supposedly have user input and most likely many more animations too

No-one would be that stupid......oh wait a minute......

Anyway the discussion around a game that no one has played being better than a game no one has played is quite extraordinary even for PC standards.

----------

Of course it isn't but who said we were comparing full games here? It is a bit off the radar to say DBC animations are bad as they look pretty good imo and supposedly have user input and most likely many more animations too

I refer the RHG to my previous answer.

I'd make the further point that we don't know the one important piece of information for comparison - the speeds of bowling which the various videos are supposed to represent.

If the TAOC video is supposed to be Lee bowling at full speed, it's way too slow for that, but I certainly never would have noticed and I'm certainly not going to care.

Users who are viewing this thread