Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

Yeah, almost everyone I know who plays games like Fifa and NBA 2K on PC use a controller.

Yeah, almost everyone I know who plays games like Fifa and NBA 2K on PC use a controller.

And what about all of the other sports games on PC?

Oh wait,

They don't exist.

People should be lucky that the PC version will:

a) exist
b) be as good as the console versions, if not better

NBA on PC doesn't get as much patch support and is buggy online. FIFA on PC was equal to the consoles (actually a bit better with graphics and load times) but with next gen out both FIFA and NBA on PC still have the ps3/360 versions, not next gen.

Oh wait,

They don't exist.

a) exist

NBA on PC doesn't get as much patch support and is buggy online. FIFA on PC was equal to the consoles (actually a bit better with graphics and load times) but with next gen out both FIFA and NBA on PC still have the ps3/360 versions, not next gen.

Trust me, the PC version will be better than the consoles. Mods, cheaper price, yadayadayada...

Pretty sure that the PC has basketball games, rugby games, Olympic games, skiing games, golf games, baseball games, possibly American football games and Ice Hockey games as well - so much for no sports games on PC.

As to the 'next gen' consoles, they'll only remain next gen for a couple of years or so, then they'll lag behind the PC just like the 360/PS3 did.

Oh wait,

They don't exist.

a) exist

I was just pointing out most people that do play sport gmes on PC use a controller.

But I definitely agree. The difference between console sports games and PC sports games is immense. 2K just does a token half arsed PC release every year at half price. It is understandable as well. Why would you invest heavily into the product when people are just going to pirate it or buy a ridiculously cheap key.

People are very lucky there will be a PC release based on Tru Blu's history. People are also very lucky it is not going to be a delayed PC release based on Tru Blu's history (AFL Live). And people are very lucky it is not a watered down version of the game based on the history of most new sports games. a

AT LAST! We finally have a game that actually looks and plays like real cricket. And although we only have a taste of what's to come, I am mightily impressed.

I've been batting in the nets all morning, and have to say that this has surpassed my expectations.

Pretty sure that the PC has basketball games, rugby games, Olympic games, skiing games, golf games, baseball games, possibly American football games and Ice Hockey games as well - so much for no sports games on PC.
Half that list are sports where EA don't release their games on PC - the last PGA Tour game was a cut down version in 2012; Madden 08 was the last one on PC; NHL 09 was the last one on PC.

For baseball, MLB The Show is a PS3 exclusive and the MLB 2K series dropped PC for 2k13 and seem to have lost the licence.

But yes, you still have yearly NBA 2K games (EA haven't released NBA Live on PC since 08) and you can play Rugby Challenge and SkiFree.

I vastly prefer playing on PC, but I wouldn't kid myself that it's a good place for sports games.

reckon u get better graphics on a PC and i enjoy playing on a DESKTOP as to a GAME console

----------

I noticed in the play session video when he was batting for Victoria in the ODI game there was 3 slips in the 30th over

be interesting to see if its in the final game

Trust me, the PC version will be better than the consoles. Mods, cheaper price, yadayadayada...

As to the 'next gen' consoles, they'll only remain next gen for a couple of years or so, then they'll lag behind the PC just like the 360/PS3 did.

The last PC Madden was Madden 08; and that was based on the PS2/Wii version, which meant that the "next-gen" stuff was exclusive to PS3/360. I can't imagine how awful it feels to play NBA 2k on a keyboard - it relies so much on both sticks that it must be awful!

I've always struggled as a batsman my whole life and it's astonishing to see the struggle going on even in CA. This just shows how close this game is to reality. So, huge congratulations to everyone who has contributed in the making of this game. And, I have no doubt that the whole game itself will be equally, if not more, enjoyable as the CA.

Now, moving on to a different issue, I'm having trouble playing the correct shots in CA. So can anyone create a small guide on how to play different shots and how to use the analog sticks correctly?

Now, moving on to a different issue, I'm having trouble playing the correct shots in CA. So can anyone create a small guide on how to play different shots and how to use the analog sticks correctly?
This is a good guide from HBK:
Sometimes we do forget that the tutorial isn't in this aspect of the game.

So for those that need it, here's some help.

Anything north of the equator of the Left Stick (that is anything on top half) is your Front Foot placement. From the perspective of a right hander, that means that up and right (in a diagonal angle) would be moving your player to the front and right. Up and left (on a diagonal angle), will be front and left.

Same thing goes for back foot, anything south of the equator (bottom half of stick) is your back foot movement. Back and left will move you back and left. I think you'll start to see what I'm getting at now. Basically, the angle and direction of the left stick will move your player in that angle and direction. For pull shots you will need to get on the back foot, otherwise you'll play around the ball, etc.

As for what is being perceived as 'not the shot I played'. On lower difficulties the foot placement is assisted for you. If you want full control, bump it up to Legend (Veteran and Pro have less assistance too), let it be know that you will need to get it very spot on though at that difficulty.

It's recommended to start on Amateur or Rookie and just get used to what the movement and positioning is like.

Also on those difficulties, if you take a look at the ball marker (the circle around the ball) you will see it flash white for a split second. This indicates perfect timing. That will not be there on the higher difficulties though, meaning you need to know your timing to get it in the ideal range.

Hope that helps.

----------

Oh and I'll also add a couple of other things I forgot.

The colours around the ball indicate where the ball is pitching.

Yellow = Full
Red = Short
Green = Good

The ball marker will also have a gap depending on which line it's pitching, a gap to the left of the ball means it's pitching right, a gap to the right, means it's pitching left. No gap means it's on middle stump.

As for the triggers, they do indeed work. Although it's not really the best showing of them in the nets as they don't do the damage they might on the real grounds. But yes, L2/LT is an aggressive shot, which means the ball will generally be more lofted. R2/RT is a defensive shot. R2/RT+L2/LT is an aggressive grounded shot meaning the ball will be hit hard along the ground.

L1/LB is your unorthodox shots, like the scoop, sweep, etc. And R1/RB is the advance down the pitch, which is best used against spinners imo.

You're actually not wrong, fiction... I've always been a stronger player down the ground and off my legs. I find myself defaulting to those shots more and more and constantly trying to force myself into getting better on the offside and pull shots - which I'm terrible at...

That "back foot/front foot" selection really is key to replicating a realistic feel to batting. You simply can't lock-down the back foot or front foot button too early, because you need to move in the right area where the ball is pitching... and watch the ball.

It's addictive and challenging fun.

You're actually not wrong, fiction... I've always been a stronger player down the ground and off my legs. I find myself defaulting to those shots more and more and constantly trying to force myself into getting better on the offside and pull shots - which I'm terrible at...

That "back foot/front foot" selection really is key to replicating a realistic feel to batting. You simply can't lock-down the back foot or front foot button too early, because you need to move in the right area where the ball is pitching... and watch the ball.

It's addictive and challenging fun.

+1

And you start thinking like a batsman too. Also, I am pretty sure that when people play a proper match in this game, they would genuinely be leaving balls outside off specially if they did not read the line and length immediately against fast bowlers. From whatever I have played in the nets, it surely looks like you would need to play like a proper batsman if you wanna succeed at the higher difficulty levels.

I now understand why everyone who played the game before always said that why these controls were not the standard for cricket gaming before. It really feels like this is how every cricket game should have been.

I was giggling to myself today when I was playing against spin and was being fooled by the drift - stepping out to a ball that would then spin away and be miles away from where I was playing. This is the aim of drift in real life and has the same effect.

But then what really made me smile was when I realised that it's actually a lot easier to hit balls playing with the spin - again just like real life.

It really feels like this is how every cricket game should have been.

I've missed the "bowling marker" for approx 0.89 seconds... it's so intuitive you just pick it up, miss the first couple of balls and instantly... GET IT

"This game gets it" - Biggs, PlanetCricket.net December 2013

I've missed the "bowling marker" for approx 0.89 seconds... it's so intuitive you just pick it up, miss the first couple of balls and instantly... GET IT

"This game gets it" - Biggs, PlanetCricket.net December 2013

i mentioned the other day, I set the marker just to work on cuts and hooks, and it's like a different game, knowing where it's gonna land and just creaming it every time. go back to without the marker and really having to watch the ball. makes a huge difference, and is a fantastic innovation. as has been said before it just makes you wonder why other games didn't think of this.

Users who are viewing this thread