Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

Is it just me or is the Facebook site full of retards who don't read anything? Or care to research even the most simplest of things. Some people are asking if it will run on Intel Pentium IV...I mean come on. That came out in 2000. And then others attempting to make a character and then start the game which is mysteriously not called Don Bradman cricket 14.

Ross, I admire your patience and understanding. I couldn't do it...love your work. Even though you've heard it a hundred times.

It's not just you, it pains me to do it but I try and answer some of their dumb questions and comments, most notably concerning licences and broadcast cameras. Don't get me started on the release date begging, and people posting placeholder dates. It makes me annoyed looking at it, can't imaging how it makes people feel that are working on the game, looking at all that stupidity.

Here's a list of all the interesting things that I have experienced so far across the last 2 versions of CA practice nets (versions .99.94 and .99.94a)....

1. Inside edge on to the stumps.

2. Inside edge on to the body and then on to the stumps.

3. Batsman's stump getting knocked out of the ground when I a) missed a yorker, and b) inside edged a yorker.

4. Knocked the stump at non-striker's end when I played a hard straight drive and the ball hit the base of the stumps. Note: Stumps have been knocked out of the ground only when the ball hits the base of the stump hard, be it no-striker or the batsman's end.

5. Ball went through the side netting and even crossed the adjoining practice net when I played a hard cover drive.

6. Was able to hit 6s (maybe 5-6) where the ball hit the wall down the ground directly. Had to use L2 for hitting a 6 and without using the L2 trigger the best result was a one bounce 4.

7. Bunch of edges - inside, outside, thin, thick - against all bowling types. Including inside edges on to the body which pop up and would have been taken by a close-in fielder in the game.

My main hope for edges in cricket games is that they reflect mistakes in input. I want to get out because I've made a mistake that I can work on correcting, not because of behind the scenes dice rolling - although fair enough, if I'm playing with a batsman with very low skills then I don't mind if he's out without me doing a lot wrong. Equally sometimes in real life you get a leg cutter with your name on it.

I'm not sure about the assumption some people seem to be making that edges should be primarily the product of timing mistakes. Timing mistakes tend to produce more misshits and misses in real life, whereas edges are very often ok timed shots where you've played the wrong line / been caught out of position, either due to poor footwork or late movement. In DBC this would seem to be more about whether you've got your left stick correct. I've not played the new build that much but I've had edges on ideally timed shots in the previous one so I think footwork must be a factor.

And I'm not finding the game all that easy on pro cam / legend / hud off. I'm not getting very many edges, but I don't feel the game is producing a lot of deliveries that I should be edging - good length deliveries around off stick with late away movement - and I'm still getting used to the controls so I'm not drawing a lot of conclusions from that. I don't expect to get a lot of edges in indoor nets in real life so it's not something that's really sticking out as a realism issue.

Rather than how often I make contact vs how many edges, much more of a meaningful test of difficulty for me is whether I can produce a wide range of controlled scoring shots without getting out. Can the game tie me down with good deliveries and by accurately bowling to a field? Am I vulnerable to surprise yorkers or being caught propping forward on short deliveries?

One thing I have noticed is that I don't seem to get many genuine short deliveries from the pace bowling. I'm seeing deliveries just short of a length but rarely chest high or higher. I was getting pull shots away regularly with the previous build wheras now it's more leg glances - although I suppose this might be me responding differently to the little bit of extra pace - and I can't recall seeing many proper short and wide square cut opportunities. This also ties into the difficulty, because variation is the test of your shot selection.

The bottom line is that in pro cam / hud off I can definitely see myself having to work to play the right shot and beat the field if the game bowls properly at me, which is exactly what I want. And I'm assuming the bowling machine isn't cranked up to the max speed possible in the game so it seems reasonable to think I might struggle against an express quick on a lively wicket.

I've been working with the marker to test shots against short deliveries and it's all there. Square cuts / slash drives off the back foot are really nice. I've been trying to get some old school head high / over the shoulder hook shots away fine and haven't really managed it yet - they tend to go square or in front of square at the moment - but I'm not sure I'm doing it right.

nothing wrong with people questioning on FB,more enquirers more sales and more following,everyone needs to gets initiated at sometime:thumbs.

Team Picture while sharing Team online

Hi Ross,

Could you please add a team picture instead of captain's picture while sharing our created team on online server. This will be very fun as we can see all the created team members in one screenshot.

I think it would be difficult to see how good they are when looking at the team as a whole. The captain is often the best representation as you can see all the details. Anyway, just download the teams from the complete skilled and linked thread and you'll be fine.

Hi Ross,

I find that while playing fast & medium fast I am forced to play a premeditated shot to get an ideal timing. Its based on the direction the machine is facing and not by watching line and length of the ball. (If i try this it invariably ends up late) I am sure that even if the bowler bowls at 150+, the ball has to cross 22 yards, and the batsman doesn't have to play the shot as soon as the ball leaves the bowlers hand. Batting is perfect for spin and medium though.. Could you just test this and see if it requires a fix? i guess after playing a few balls one just starts premeditating and does'nt notice this problem..

Btw I am running a i7 dell xps laptop with Geforce GT 7XXM series, and 8 gb ram. Controller is a Logitech F710, one of the best for Pcs. I did try lower graphics settings and it still does the same. Other graphic intense games run fine, so I dont think it is a FPS/lag problem..

I don't have to premeditated except for unorthodox shots.

However, to those saying the speed should be realistic, this is why it can't be. There wouldn't be enough time to react.

I don't have to premeditated except for unorthodox shots.

However, to those saying the speed should be realistic, this is why it can't be. There wouldn't be enough time to react.

Well for fast bowling the ball can come faster but the timing should be based on spatial position of the ball and not on time taken.. Just for example say a ball bowled at 150 takes .52 seconds to reach the batsman, and a ball at 80kmph takes 1 second.. The batsman will always "start" playing the shot for both the balls only when the ball is near him (say after the ball crosses 3/4th of the pitch - This will obviously vary based on the type of shot - shots that require lot of foot movement would be at an earlier spatial position of the ball, and vice versa). But for fast bowling in dbc14 i find that the input has to be given almost as soon as the ball leaves the machine, while for spinners when the ball is near the batsman.

The time taken to reach that point when the batsman starts his shot would be less for a faster ball, and vice-versa, thus creating the difference in reaction time and the impression of speed but the shot would always begin when the ball is near the batsmen irrespective of the speed of the ball.

In real life a batsmen doesn't play when the ball is close to him. He plays almost as soon as it leaves the hand for a fast bowler. There is simply not enough time.

I think it's fine. Any later and the bowler would have to be very slow. I and many others can play the ball on merit.

Users who are viewing this thread