Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

what u mean by saying every commentator in ipl and channel 9 are just waste.grow up man just wondering that u think that bald headed naseer hussain and that cowboy oh i forgot his name,now i remember geofrey boycott are good ones.I think they dont know anything other than criticising!
Nasser Hussain is a very good, fair and balanced commentator who doesn't needlessly criticise players and can get his point across in an easy to understand and calm way. Geoffrey Boycott is a twat.

In my personal opinion I find that other commentary teams get way too over excited and don't present balanced points now that Tony Greig passed away and Richie Benaud is ill. Listening to the post match interviews from Channel 9 was incredibly cringey, and the end of series presentation was awful. I don't need someone screaming in my ear to get interested about a game. I quite like the South African commentator's though.

PS: That bolded statement was rather funny. You're telling me to grow up by criticising someone's genetics and disliking a person's choice in hats.

Last edited:
Nasser Hussain is a very good, fair and balanced commentator who doesn't needlessly criticise players and can get his point across in a fair and calm way. Geoffrey Boycott is a twat.

In my personal opinion I find that other commentary teams get way too over excited and don't present balanced points now that Tony Greig passed away and Richie Benaud is ill. Listening to the post match interviews from Channel 9 was incredibly cringey, and the end of series presentation was awful. I don't need someone screaming in my ear to get interested about a game. I quite like the South African commentator's though.

I agree. Nasser Hussain is one of my favourite commentators. The whole of the Sky team are very knowledgable, easy to listen to, funny at times and have a good chemistry with each other.

Anything is better than every commentator on the IPL and Channel 9 (apart from Bumble) rosters. Can't believe we managed to give Mark Nicholas to the Aussies. They can have Shane Warne back as well.

You don't like IPL that doesn't mean Commentary is also bad. I usually don't watch IPL, But I like Ravi Shastri's voice & He is one of the best commentators out there. I'm not saying commentators in DBC 14 are bad. It'll be also enjoyable.

I agree. Nasser Hussain is one of my favourite commentators. The whole of the Sky team are very knowledgable, easy to listen to, funny at times and have a good chemistry with each other.
Maybe not Ian Botham though...

I used to really like TMS, but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to listen to them without getting incredibly angry at some of the opinionated and stupid comments made by a certain angry Yorkshireman. I like listening to Test Match Sofa instead if I have a radio choice.

You don't like IPL that doesn't mean Commentary is also bad. I usually don't watch IPL, But I like Ravi Shastri's voice & He is one of the best commentators out there. I'm not saying commentators in DBC 14 are bad. It'll be also enjoyable.
I'm sorry. But you are wrong about me. I watch the IPL because it's the only cricket on, and it's easy to watch, and once every now and again I vaguely enjoy it, even though I hate the direction it's driving cricket. But sometimes I feel like I'd rather listen to Justin Bieber on a constant loop. Danny "calm the Early September down" Morrison and Ravi Shastri, a man who's almost become a parody of himself. He has 10 cliches that he rolls out 15 times every match. I'm the sort of person who wants to watch a bit of cricket whilst hearing some interesting analysis, like Sky. Not one to have their eardrums shattered by the IPL commentators.

yeah that is what i was saying for example take that lines from icc cwc 2011 final on the last ball which was a huge six from MSD you can feel that sort of joy in his commentary.......And about south african commentators yeah they are good but you cant enjoy them.

I think it was @BD that mentioned he tried to get it through the chair and as the collision was turned off I found that pretty amusing so made sure physics was applied thereafter :)

yes i used to really love threading the needle right through the chair. i never "hit" the legs when physics was off so wouldn't have noticed it wasn't there, but now i shall be trying to hit it for sure. haven't played the nets for a little while actually, so this will be something to get me back into it.

----------

Anything is better than every commentator on the IPL and Channel 9 (apart from Bumble) rosters. Can't believe we managed to give Mark Nicholas to the Aussies. They can have Shane Warne back as well.

i haven't really watched the IPL, so can't comment but my favourite Indian commentator is Navjot Singh Sidhu, very colourful turn of phrase.

and I actually like Mark Nicholas, in a sort of "poor man's Gower" type of way. and Bill Lawry on 9, i like him too. agree with someone's comment about the BBL channel 10 commentators, they're pretty poor.

not huge fan of Botham, and Strauss makes me want to turn the volume down, but the rest of the Sky commentators are very good, especially Holding, Nasser and Atherton.

the old BBC team of Benaud, AR Lewis, Ray Illingworth and Jack Bannister takes some beating though.

semi off-topic but in terms of commentators being ridiculously over the top, I was watching some of the BDO darts last week, one of the Quarter-Finals and these two guys were playing decent darts, no more and the commentator was literally creaming his pants, saying it was the best darts ever. he was making it come off like we were priveleged to watch Michaelangelo and Leonardo Da Vinci in some paint-off, rather than two fat pub landlords who would have got knocked out in the third round of the PDC.

semi off-topic but in terms of commentators being ridiculously over the top, I was watching some of the BDO darts last week, one of the Quarter-Finals and these two guys were playing decent darts, no more and the commentator was literally creaming his pants, saying it was the best darts ever. he was making it come off like we were priveleged to watch Michaelangelo and Leonardo Da Vinci in some paint-off, rather than two fat pub landlords who would have got knocked out in the third round of the PDC.

"There's only one word for that...magic darts!" RIP Sid Waddell.

and I actually like Mark Nicholas, in a sort of "poor man's Gower" type of way. and Bill Lawry on 9, i like him too. agree with someone's comment about the BBL channel 10 commentators, they're pretty poor.
Bill Lawry is barely on Channel 9 though. He was on Sky the other day but the innings ended early in his stint, which was unfortunate. He is the one commentator who gets really excited but is also interesting and informative at the same time. I genuinely cannot stand Mark Nicholas, and if I haven't got access to Sky I find the Channel 5 highlights genuinely unbearable. Nicholas makes an edge for four seem like some sort of majestic work of art and I'm sure if you looked up the words "smug" and "hyperbole" in the dictionary you would find Nicholas's face staring at you in his familiar superior way.

not huge fan of Botham, and Strauss makes me want to turn the volume down, but the rest of the Sky commentators are very good, especially Holding, Nasser and Atherton.
I wouldn't have believed I would be saying this at the start of the home Ashes but Strauss is beginning to grow on me. He tried to be too like other commentators when he started but has managed to talk normally this series and is a better commentator for it. Holding, Nasser and Atherton are the best in the business currently in my opinion.

Watching the Ashes through Channel 9 cameras has made me yearn for the summer and proper replays and angels. They don't even show umpire's signals. I'm sure I missed 30 no balls and wides throughout the series.

well i haven't really heard a lot of mark nicholas for a while - got sky so don't tend to watch the C5 highlights, but certainly back in the old C4 days, what i liked about Nicholas was he tried to give you a sense of the game at large, and the larger moments rather than a single ball or over.

You poms can have Mark Nicholas back. He's about as exciting as a wet (racist) fish.

One of my all time favourite commentators is Harsha Bhogle. I'd pair him up with Bill Lawry, Bumble and Richie. If Tony Greig was still alive he'd be up there as well.

The rest of the Pommy commentators (bar Strauss) aren't much chop IMO. Same with the Aussies.

My thing with TV commentating is that I'm watching TV...I know what is happening and I know a bit about cricket so a TV commentator should be there to excite, build tension, etc. Not just blabber on about rubbish and verbalise what I can already see. The commentators these days all seem to have gone to the same school and as a result all sound the same - dull and lifeless.

My thing with TV commentating is that I'm watching TV...I know what is happening and I know a bit about cricket so a TV commentator should be there to excite, build tension, etc. Not just blabber on about rubbish and verbalise what I can already see.
If I'm watching cricket, I find that the cricket builds excitement for me. I want the commentators to give me some analysis and some extra detail to the situation. Not spew off rubbish about what an incredible cricketer Sunil Narine is because he can not spin the ball at 55mph, or scream about Dave Warner hitting the ball 90 metres.

Users who are viewing this thread