Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

It's very rare that a real commentator does a good job on sport games. Why not use voice actors (that does impersonations). Wouldn't they be able to do a better job? Not sure if it will be a lot more expensive or whether there will be legal issues with copying an actual commentator, but surely they should be able to give a better performance.

My main hope is that Basheer and Hill are given a chance in subsequent editions - even if they manage to sign on 'cricket' commentators.

EA Cricket 96 had no name commentary sequences (they were FMVs between events not the current style of ball by ball analysis), which is probably the closest we've gotten to 'actors' in a cricket game. I'll pop the disc in and put up a video of it.

It's very rare that a real commentator does a good job on sport games. Why not use voice actors (that does impersonations). Wouldn't they be able to do a better job? Not sure if it will be a lot more expensive or whether there will be legal issues with copying an actual commentator, but surely they should be able to give a better performance.

Fifa 14 is pretty good.

Fifa 14 is pretty good.

I agree. Madden, MLB the show and NBA 2k are pretty good too. It just seems that certain sports commentators don't come across as themselves when they are reading off a script. If they don't have that ability, then why not look elsewhere?

Anyone who doesn't listen to TMS while watching a test match is doing the whole cricket thing wrong.

I usually listen to sky when they have Bumble on though because he's genuinely really good; and there was a bit in the second innings where Warne really impressed me. It was Australia's second innings in the fourth test when Cook were messing around and not bowling Panesar and doing traditional Cook captaincy; and Warne just explained all of the problems with Cook's captaincy (trying to save runs using the seamers on a pitch which Lyon got a 5 wicket haul on earlier when Australia only needed 200 to win in a day and a half; the awful, overly defensive follow-the-ball fielding sets of Cook and just the overall negativity of England. Warne's always a good guy to have around when a spinner is playing because he'll generally tell you what's accurately happening. He's better on English TV IMO (probably because Channel 9 have no shame in cheerleading, while Sky are a little more impartial); but also because having people from other nations helps to prevent that sort of bias (that's why I like Holding on the Sky coverage of non-West Indian series; and why it was nice to see Bill Lawry on Sky with I think Bumble and Atherton or Hussein; but I could be wrong!

e: ESPN NFL 2k5 has, and always will have the best commentary of any sports game ever, and the people in that are actors!

i think the best cricket commentators don't give you a play by play of every ball, they summarise the situation.

so they'll mention a build up of pressure through dots or maidens, they'll mention obviously a particularly good or bad ball and shot, and they'll talk about the match situation (what's a good score, who's ahead in these terms etc.)* and keep description of "ball hit to the covers" to a minimum.

this is what the cricket video game commentators should do. for starters i don't want to hear them every ball, once or twice an over or between overs is fine.

*as poorly and cack-handedly as it was executed and implemented, you could actually see AC13 trying to do something like this.

I want this to happen in the commentary box in DBC;

:lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, its more analytical and "colour commentary" in nature, rather than the traditional "play-by-play" type that suits more sports. That differs when you talk about radio commentary, but that's because of the lack of pictures rather than it being a better style

I'm sorry. But you are wrong about me. I watch the IPL because it's the only cricket on, and it's easy to watch, and once every now and again I vaguely enjoy it, even though I hate the direction it's driving cricket. But sometimes I feel like I'd rather listen to Justin Bieber on a constant loop. Danny "calm the Early September down" Morrison and Ravi Shastri, a man who's almost become a parody of himself. He has 10 cliches that he rolls out 15 times every match. I'm the sort of person who wants to watch a bit of cricket whilst hearing some interesting analysis, like Sky. Not one to have their eardrums shattered by the IPL commentators.

At least you have the option of watching the IPL. It hasn't been broadcasted in Australia for a few years. Not that I'm complaining.

The best thing about being in Europe this summer was that the ECB streamed the Sky coverage of the summer test matches live on youtube for free; which was nice!

Anyone who doesn't listen to TMS while watching a test match is doing the whole cricket thing wrong.

I usually listen to sky when they have Bumble on though because he's genuinely really good; and there was a bit in the second innings where Warne really impressed me. It was Australia's second innings in the fourth test when Cook were messing around and not bowling Panesar and doing traditional Cook captaincy; and Warne just explained all of the problems with Cook's captaincy (trying to save runs using the seamers on a pitch which Lyon got a 5 wicket haul on earlier when Australia only needed 200 to win in a day and a half; the awful, overly defensive follow-the-ball fielding sets of Cook and just the overall negativity of England. Warne's always a good guy to have around when a spinner is playing because he'll generally tell you what's accurately happening. He's better on English TV IMO (probably because Channel 9 have no shame in cheerleading, while Sky are a little more impartial); but also because having people from other nations helps to prevent that sort of bias (that's why I like Holding on the Sky coverage of non-West Indian series; and why it was nice to see Bill Lawry on Sky with I think Bumble and Atherton or Hussein; but I could be wrong!

e: ESPN NFL 2k5 has, and always will have the best commentary of any sports game ever, and the people in that are actors!

I actually really enjoyed bumble and Vaughan's commentary this summer, ashame they aren't in the box all the time!

My main hope is that Basheer and Hill are given a chance in subsequent editions - even if they manage to sign on 'cricket' commentators.

EA Cricket 96 had no name commentary sequences (they were FMVs between events not the current style of ball by ball analysis), which is probably the closest we've gotten to 'actors' in a cricket game. I'll pop the disc in and put up a video of it.

Yep I'd definitely agree with keeping them on, if they only add a few more lines just to keep continuity of the brand for nostalgia. A few bits from the "professionals" to add insightful advice and the odd funny story etc would just add to the realism.

Users who are viewing this thread