Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

As this is the first time I've posted since I got the game I was going to put this in the first impressions thread, but I've had the game since 10 April so it's not a truly 'first' impression, is it?

Firstly, I should clarify where I'm coming from with this. I'm what you guys on here would probably refer to as a casual cricket fan. I get interested in cricket during the county season - interest peaks during an England tour / test series, then I don't really give cricket another thought for the duration of the English football season, when I return to my beloved Arsenal.

For this reason, I think I'm happier to forgive the games some of it's bugs - I'm not a cricket fanatic - I'm not looking for some unachievable perfection - and FIFA / PES have taught me how to overlook the odd unrealistic glitch in what is ultimately a game.

Even as someone who's not obsessed with the finer details, the limitations and problems with previous cricket games have always been clear to me - they've been well rehearsed on this forum, so I won't repeat. This game addresses them perfectly though. Bowling a consistent line and length requires skill and concentration, bowling to a plan is intuitive and rewarding when it results in wickets. Batting requires significant concentration, excellent reflexes and the patience to play each ball on it's merit.

I genuinely think this game is brilliant and, if it is only going to get better from this point onwards, that can only be a good thing for all concerned.

However...

I do think I?ve hit a bit of a problem now and it all relates to difficulty levels.

Bowling I?ve got nailed ? really enjoy the challenge and generally get good results in the field. I?m not even experiencing the problems people have highlighted on here, I?m getting plenty of edges and decent turn from the spinners. I?ve just played one day match between England?s all time XI and Australia?s all time XI. They went into bat first and only lasted 23 overs, getting 53. The two wickets for Swann were the result of decent turn, the Bradman, Border and Gilchrist wickets we all a result of edges. Nice.

image.jpg

I?ve been playing a lot on amateur to improve my batting and I?m now a lot, lot better at playing patiently enough to get my players ?set? and then picking bad balls for runs, defending anything straight and generally playing each ball on it?s merit. I'm not having the problems some have mentioned regarding picking the line and length early - the circle round the ball works well I think. This was my run chase for the same game. Lost both wickets when right on the cusp of getting over the line, but I was well in control.

image.jpg

The problem is, there is no way I can bat like this on pro. I can get my batsmen in and set, but the game is so unforgiving if you?re slightly off the line or early/late when defending, I?m constantly edging to the wicket keeper or simply playing and missing straight ones. So frustrating! Any tips?

Will the game run on a standard definition tv? IC2010 for some reason ran on HDMI only. Anyone playing it on av cables? I only have an extra SDTV i can get up to my room for the time being.

Just out of interest, I opened up the global leaderboard and saw all the top players on around 40,000pts...except for this one dude (I'm assuming) at #1 on 115k points. A quick view of their stats showed something like 2000 6's and 400 4's, 500 wickets or something with NO wides. :eek: I don't care about stats but....this for real? can't remember the players name.

They're all playing on the lowest difficulty. There's no distinction between those that are actually playing the game at a decent difficulty level and the other folk who are just smashing it around to get their egos off on the arbitrary "leaderboard"

...throw in that you can get XP playing any ol' mode and those of us that are battling away in career mode for the tiniest bit of XP are about as interested in a leaderboard as zeus is in cleaning out his basement.

Ok got my game, unlike you lucky folks i had to shell out 69.99 on Amazon, then pay $11 Us to my local shipping company as Amazon does not ship to Jamaica, Then I have to $18 for Duty and the $3 GCT. So in all i had to pay $101.99 for my game. First impressions where batting is a nightmare bowling is not easy it is balanced depending on how you want to approach the game, I like getting batsmen out in the slips and caught by the keeper so i bowl most of my deliveries leaving the batsmen. I havent run into the "run out bug" maybe its because I read all what you guys were saying so I knew how to counter it. Again, I am getting at least 20% of my wickets are caught behind. I find it strange that if the keeper takes a catch in front of where first slip would be you still have to appeal, to me that makes no sense but i am nit-picking i guess. The game is very good - not perfect I will spend a few hours in the nets as my highest score so far is 22 :noway Good job Big Ant very good game.

They're all playing on the lowest difficulty. There's no distinction between those that are actually playing the game at a decent difficulty level and the other folk who are just smashing it around to get their egos off on the arbitrary "leaderboard"

...throw in that you can get XP playing any ol' mode and those of us that are battling away in career mode for the tiniest bit of XP are about as interested in a leaderboard as zeus is in cleaning out his basement.

lol yeah I hear ya.

@hbk,

No Fred "The Demon" Spofforth in the starting XI for the Australian all time team?

I'll expect to see your letter of resignation on Ross's desk by tomorrow.

Was tempted to start a 'The little things that you think they got so right' thread.. but can't be bothered..

Anyway, two that come to mind that I've not yet seen anyone draw attention to is -
a) AI backing up. There is always 1, if not two fielders backing up from a throw in from the field, in addition to the one person at the stumps. Sometimes the AI control the human player to urge him to back up if he's being lazy. That being said, overthrows still happen (with about standard regularity), the ones that go for 4 make me headbang the monitor though (usually becase I was lazy as the bowler to get to my stumps), but for the right reasons).
b) Umpire had a close up from signaling a no ball, in the background a fielder was doing a shoe-tying animation. :thumbs

Users who are viewing this thread