Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

Obviously the console patch isn't out yet but today for the first time in a single match I had 2/3 edges go through 2/3rd slip and a few through gully, was very impressed to see it, it made for a more realistic game even to the point where I wished I'd batted first! Its the first time since I've had the game (Xbox first day release) that I actually felt the game develop into a proper match and have real cricketing decisions outcome the match situation, i almost felt like the patch had been secretly implemented because there had been several things in the match that felt/seemed different to the last time I played. Even saw a ball pitch outside leg stump and turn past off(leg spin) like warne! Excellent stuff.

So my game on PC is a bit choppy which is fine when bowling, but makes it very difficult to bat.

I was thinking I should tweak my laptop's settings. Any suggestions?

i have seen real good bouncers for which the keeper has to jump up to catch it.

Indeed, so have I, but I think that is quite rare. On slower pitches or when a medium pacer is bowling it would just be useful if you had the option to move the keeper up to the stumps or the slips and keeper closer to the wicket.

In the batting practice on ground, my timing is always perfect, but my foot selection is always "very poor". I press the front foot/back foot on time and when desired, but still I keep getting this. I'm unable to move to the next step of the practice.

Can anyone give me some quick tip to overcome that problem?
On PC btw.

IMO anyone having trouble bowling should have a chat to Matt, because he's bloody good, especially in online matches... If you need a hand spin bowling, happy to help because I LOVE IT and I'm doing pretty well... Heh.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    663.6 KB · Views: 55
^^^
Looking at that scorecard I can say "Blocker" Dave is living up to his name in DBC 14.

It's a grab of Matt v Biggs VI, I was bowling and Matt batting. Blockers Kryptonite was anything bowled on the pitch.

Despite what I said earlier, I tried to play another online game and it was awful again. Everything except bouncers was getting hit straight back over the bowler, even if I varied the pace of the delivery... Good length outside off getting constantly slogged over the bowler with little risk really isn't right - I fail to see how this can be me just being 'bad' at the bowling. I am bowling a decent line and length with variation and it's just getting slogged all over the place.

I haven't even batted yet online as I've ragequit both games so far when bowling first, but the career mode I started on Pro difficulty was just absurdly easy to bat on... I fell just short of 50 in the first match slogging everything, so maybe online games are set to Pro?

Despite what I said earlier, I tried to play another online game and it was awful again. Everything except bouncers was getting hit straight back over the bowler, even if I varied the pace of the delivery... Good length outside off getting constantly slogged over the bowler with little risk really isn't right - I fail to see how this can be me just being 'bad' at the bowling. I am bowling a decent line and length with variation and it's just getting slogged all over the place.

I haven't even batted yet online as I've ragequit both games so far when bowling first, but the career mode I started on Pro difficulty was just absurdly easy to bat on... I fell just short of 50 in the first match slogging everything, so maybe online games are set to Pro?

You haven't even completed a game online coz you rage quit and are complaining about the online experience and the game? So what did you really expect? I mean you got the game barely a day ago, went online, got thrashed (which is to be expected for a newbie), rage quit and then complained about the game and online experience. I'm sorry to say to me this looks like a "user" issue and not a game or online one.

You haven't even completed a game online coz you rage quit and are complaining about the online experience and the game? So what did you really expect? I mean you got the game barely a day ago, went online, got thrashed (which is to be expected for a newbie), rage quit and then complained about the game and online experience. I'm sorry to say to me this looks like a "user" issue and not a game or online one.

I rarely ragequit in games... When I know that I'm getting beaten because I'm making mistakes or my skill level with the controls isn't high enough, I'm fine with it.

However, when I've played and watched plenty of cricket in my life and I bowl a disciplined over with a realistic set of deliveries, and they get smashed all over the place non-stop in an unrealistic fashion for like 15+ an over in multiple consecutive overs then... it's just not cricket.

I'm now quite comfortable with the controls, so now the only real obstacles to me bowling effectively are in the theory of it... I had hoped that thinking like a cricketer and putting into practice the tactics that work in the real sport would work in the game, but if I have to start subduing that to just perform what works in DBC then to me that takes away some of the enjoyment.

I hope that the problems are with my play somehow, because I would love to be able to enjoy some online games.

Also, despite my frustrations and complaints in my last few posts here, I'm very happy with my purchase and I enjoy the career mode very much so I'm not just bashing the product as a whole, I just feel that slogging is much too easy in the difficulty that online games are locked into.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO anyone having trouble bowling should have a chat to Matt, because he's bloody good, especially in online matches... If you need a hand spin bowling, happy to help because I LOVE IT and I'm doing pretty well... Heh.

Just don't bowl spin to him...

Good length outside off getting constantly slogged over the bowler with little risk really isn't right - I fail to see how this can be me just being 'bad' at the bowling. I am bowling a decent line and length with variation and it's just getting slogged all over the place.

Maybe that's your problem.
Your line and length is that consistent that you are totally predictable and therefore are getting spanked every ball?
Mix everything up. Pace/ movement line/ length

Maybe that's your problem.
Your line and length is that consistent that you are totally predictable and therefore are getting spanked every ball?
Mix everything up. Pace/ movement line/ length
I bowl probably 3 or 4 stock balls an over, and then go for variations on the others. This is how I bowl in real life - the stock balls being difficult to score from as they have the batsman unsure on whether to play forward or back to it, but these sorts of deliveries seem to just be gimme's on DBC for the batsman. Front foot straight bat shots connect cleanly to these deliveries pretty much every time.

Perhaps six entirely differently paced and directed deliveries would be more unpredictable and effective in the game, but this isn't how you bowl in cricket so it would be a shame if this is the required strategy to limit scoring online.

What ever the problem may be, you must remember (and it has been true for every BigAnt sports game) there is a long and steep learning curve. More so in DBC14. I had a break from PS3 the last few weeks waiting for the PC version and its like im starting over. Patience and practice!!

Users who are viewing this thread