Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

I rarely ragequit in games... When I know that I'm getting beaten because I'm making mistakes or my skill level with the controls isn't high enough, I'm fine with it.

However, when I've played and watched plenty of cricket in my life and I bowl a disciplined over with a realistic set of deliveries, and they get smashed all over the place non-stop in an unrealistic fashion for like 15+ an over in multiple consecutive overs then... it's just not cricket.

I'm now quite comfortable with the controls, so now the only real obstacles to me bowling effectively are in the theory of it... I had hoped that thinking like a cricketer and putting into practice the tactics that work in the real sport would work in the game, but if I have to start subduing that to just perform what works in DBC then to me that takes away some of the enjoyment.

I hope that the problems are with my play somehow, because I would love to be able to enjoy some online games.

Also, despite my frustrations and complaints in my last few posts here, I'm very happy with my purchase and I enjoy the career mode very much so I'm not just bashing the product as a whole, I just feel that slogging is much too easy in the difficulty that online games are locked into.

There are a few wrong assumptions you are making...

1. You are assuming you can pick up a sports based video game and be expert in it just because you know the sport. It's not true at all. If Neymar or Messi play FIFA for the first time, I can assure you they will get their @$$es handed to them by a kid online who probably never played a game of footie in his life. Same will be true for Madden, MLB The Show etc.

2. You are assuming DBC 14 wouldn't have a steep learning curve. I have played nearly all prior cricket video games released on consoles, and have been a cricket fan all my life and yet it took me quite a while to get used to the game and it's controls. Yet I'm sure I will be well beaten if and when I venture online for my first few games. It will take you plenty of hours to get used to the game and generally online is for hardcore gamers where you are bound to come across against better players.

3. Another incorrect assumption on your part is that sports based video game is very similar to the actual game, which is never true for any sport. In FIFA folks sprint all over throughout and press all the time which would get the team to burn out by half time in real life but it pays off in the video game. In Madden people pass 90% of the time and barely run the ball. Similar strategy would result in the team throwing bunch of picks and be taken apart but it doesn't work that way in the video game. Similar concept works in cricket. In real life McGrathesque line & length would be unhittable but in a video game there's nothing worse than being predictable. You have to mix line, length, pace and throw bunch of slower balls else you will get killed. Unfortunately that's how online works and you can't expect a video game to be a life-like simulation of the real sport.

IMO anyone having trouble bowling should have a chat to Matt, because he's bloody good, especially in online matches... If you need a hand spin bowling, happy to help because I LOVE IT and I'm doing pretty well... Heh.

I just love how blocker has eaten up 20 deliveries for no runs :p

How confusing, my post was referring to my sig then Matt does that :D

Awesome online game!

Hey hey!

Had a game with azzan.khan.mk, a five over game and what a game it was!!

azzan scored 52 for 4 off his 5 overs. I was thinking there is no way I am getting close to that... After 5 overs the scores were tied! My score was 52 all out after 5 overs! We both thought that must be the end of the game, nope, here comes the super over!!!

I was batting first and I managed to score a respectable 16 off the over. azzan then stepped up and scored 9 off the first 4 balls, 2 balls to go...

Luckily I managed to stop him scoring on the 5th ball so if I dont bowl a no ball then I am going to win this!

So, here comes the final ball and azzan hits it for 6!!! His final score was 15 so I won by 1 run. Absolutely awesome entertainment and as I said to azzan there should not have been a winner. Luck would have it I won.

I am sure the next game we play azzan will come at me all guns blazing, cant wait!!!!

There are a few wrong assumptions you are making...

1. You are assuming you can pick up a sports based video game and be expert in it just because you know the sport. It's not true at all. If Neymar or Messi play FIFA for the first time, I can assure you they will get their @$$es handed to them by a kid online who probably never played a game of footie in his life. Same will be true for Madden, MLB The Show etc.

2. You are assuming DBC 14 wouldn't have a steep learning curve. I have played nearly all prior cricket video games released on consoles, and have been a cricket fan all my life and yet it took me quite a while to get used to the game and it's controls. Yet I'm sure I will be well beaten if and when I venture online for my first few games. It will take you plenty of hours to get used to the game and generally online is for hardcore gamers where you are bound to come across against better players.

3. Another incorrect assumption on your part is that sports based video game is very similar to the actual game, which is never true for any sport. In FIFA folks sprint all over throughout and press all the time which would get the team to burn out by half time in real life but it pays off in the video game. In Madden people pass 90% of the time and barely run the ball. Similar strategy would result in the team throwing bunch of picks and be taken apart but it doesn't work that way in the video game. Similar concept works in cricket. In real life McGrathesque line & length would be unhittable but in a video game there's nothing worse than being predictable. You have to mix line, length, pace and throw bunch of slower balls else you will get killed. Unfortunately that's how online works and you can't expect a video game to be a life-like simulation of the real sport.
1 - In a fast paced, action packed game such as FIFA I'd agree with you... Being adept at the controls is far more important than being a tactician and thinking like a footballer, FIFA goes too far though for me and is nothing like football which is why I've played Pro Evo more over the years.

Also with cricket being a slower game with more breaks in play, the mental/tactical side of the game is much more prominent - I hoped that bowling wouldn't favour erratic changes of pace/direction for six balls an over, but a more lifelike set of deliveries.

If I were playing an NBA Jam-esque exaggerated cricket game where it's obviously going to be a slogfest I wouldn't have any complaints, but I had thought DBC was going for a more realistic feel.

2 - Yes, I won't be at the peak of my abilities after a few hour's play, but I have read the manual and played enough of the practice and career modes to be comfortable with aiming and selecting my deliveries. These deliveries that are getting slogged all the time are not weak deliveries, whether I'm new at the game or not, the game's interface tells you that these deliveries are "85mph" or so and you can clearly see the line and length is decent. I find it odd that such deliveries can be dispatched with such ease so consistently.

3 - FIFA and Madden are probably the two worst sports games to choose from a realism perspective... Also I don't think that would translate to cricket anyway. In football and american football, you have to condense 90 minutes and 60 minutes of play into a more reasonable timeframe, usually 10-15 minutes. This means that many aspects of gameplay are compromised to ensure there's enough action in the shortened period.

This doesn't really matter with cricket - you can just naturally play less overs with lower scorelines, as well as the breaks in play being quicker/skippable speeding things up so less compromises have to be made.

I play a lot of Tennis Elbow 2013 where the strategy of IRL tennis is very well replicated in the game, and Virtual Pool 4 which actually improves your real life pool play as it's so realistic, and there's hardcore driving sims like GTR Evo/rFactor where I like being able to test accurate representations of F1 cars or whatever (even if I'm hopeless at it!).
I'm probably unusual in that I like such a high level of realism in sports games.

When I've batted offline in Veteran mode, it's been really tough though so DBC basically already has what I'm looking for so I'd like it if I could just create a match room in this difficulty rather than the online default, which seems to be Pro.

Last edited by a moderator:
So at least its realistic. Id be averaging 3.75 if i actually played for Somerset in real life

Hey hey!

Had a game with azzan.khan.mk, a five over game and what a game it was!!

azzan scored 52 for 4 off his 5 overs. I was thinking there is no way I am getting close to that... After 5 overs the scores were tied! My score was 52 all out after 5 overs! We both thought that must be the end of the game, nope, here comes the super over!!!

I was batting first and I managed to score a respectable 16 off the over. azzan then stepped up and scored 9 off the first 4 balls, 2 balls to go...

Luckily I managed to stop him scoring on the 5th ball so if I dont bowl a no ball then I am going to win this!

So, here comes the final ball and azzan hits it for 6!!! His final score was 15 so I won by 1 run. Absolutely awesome entertainment and as I said to azzan there should not have been a winner. Luck would have it I won.

I am sure the next game we play azzan will come at me all guns blazing, cant wait!!!!

Bro, looking forward to play with you...

So at least its realistic. Id be averaging 3.75 if i actually played for Somerset in real life
My first batting performance in career mode on Veteran difficulty was a caught behind golden duck, and a runout before facing a ball :lol.

I bowl probably 3 or 4 stock balls an over, and then go for variations on the others. This is how I bowl in real life - the stock balls being difficult to score from as they have the batsman unsure on whether to play forward or back to it, but these sorts of deliveries seem to just be gimme's on DBC for the batsman. Front foot straight bat shots connect cleanly to these deliveries pretty much every time.

Perhaps six entirely differently paced and directed deliveries would be more unpredictable and effective in the game, but this isn't how you bowl in cricket so it would be a shame if this is the required strategy to limit scoring online.

I bolded the important part for you mate. Unfortunately , in this game , there is no ball that will guarantee you some sort of dot ball . Any ball is hittable for a boundary when executed correctly , so in your instance bowling "short of a length outside off" will only result in myself lining you up for all kinds of elaborate off side shots.

You have to bring variation into the mix , to the tune that most of the times no two balls in an over should be the same. Not realistic for sure , but thats what works online.

@Madman and others, tbh mate you need to consider the difference between tests and short form.

if you were playing online a 5/5, then consider a t20, where a length-ball or "stock ball" is one of the most likely to be carted into the stands. in truncated forms of the game bowlers are always bowling variations, whether being slower/faster, shorter/fuller etc, and moving laterally on the crease to deliver from wider or closer to the stumps etc.

running up and putting the ball in the same areas is a great strategy in tests, it's pretty much what mcgrath did after all, but you need more in the shorter forms.

I've played a few matches online with a custom match type - two innings matches, with 1 wicket per innings (and 7 ball overs because why not) - as well as plenty of reviews.

It totally changes the dynamic - because you have to score while protecting your only wicket, you naturally are less aggressive. You can also take all the time in the world to build up a total.

And because it's only one wicket, the matches I've played have been about the same length as a T10.

Hey ross can you include the option of changing the aspect ratio please? It is a bit personal as i have a really old squarish LCD

Users who are viewing this thread