Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

I just got Dhoni out with a beaut: ball was swinging all over the place so I bowl a few away swingers; and then bowl a cross-seamer that seems to come a little quicker than Dhoni was expecting and just nips the top of off. The fact that you have to think about how to bowl is really appreciated; especially when compared to other cricket games...

What's supposed to determine the bowling line ? I'm finding myself bowling quite a considerable number of wide deliveries or in-swingers heading down leg for my liking

What's supposed to determine the bowling line ? I'm finding myself bowling quite a considerable number of wide deliveries or in-swingers heading down leg for my liking

The position of the stick when you push it up.

Couple of questions I'd be very grateful if someone could help me with :)

It's really easy to forget what direction you push the stick (as you're pressing A, B, or Y) is for what type of delivery, i.e. off cutter, leg cutter, drift, etc... Is there any way to get it to show up outside of the tutorial? If not, how do you lot remember?

Also, at what point during the delivery should you be pressing right or left bumper for the faster/slower delivery? Does it matter when you press it?

Just tried playing an online game, ended up bowling first and it was an absolute joke. I'm not great at the game but I had learned the basics of bowling, enough to bowl a decent line and length anyway, but no matter what I did my opponent would just smash everything for a boundary or safely over the infield for 2 or 3... Got a couple of wickets from catches but it was just so boring.

I thought this game would be different to Ashes 09 online in that you'd have to be disciplined with your batting or lose easily... Shame it just seems like another slogfest.

Seems like the difficulty must be set quite low for online games...

I thought someone would respond with something like that.

I was bowling mostly a good length just outside off with the odd variation, and even during overs where I timed the jump/release correctly on every ball would be going for 15 or so with no shots really looking that risky/close to a catch.

Admittedly I have only been playing the game for a couple of hours, so there's a lot of room for improvement and I appreciate that I could limit the scoring a little better with more practice, but the consistency and effectiveness of the guy's slogging was just ridiculous. Regardless of the type of bowling, to be able to hit that cleanly every time is a bit silly and I thought DBC wouldn't be like that.

I thought someone would respond with something like that.

I was bowling mostly a good length just outside off with the odd variation, and even during overs where I timed the jump/release correctly on every ball would be going for 15 or so with no shots really looking that risky/close to a catch.

Admittedly I have only been playing the game for a couple of hours, so there's a lot of room for improvement and I appreciate that I could limit the scoring a little better with more practice, but the consistency and effectiveness of the guy's slogging was just ridiculous. Regardless of the type of bowling, to be able to hit that cleanly every time is a bit silly and I thought DBC wouldn't be like that.

DBC is "not like that".... if you bowl well you won't get punished.

Some people have been playing for months and they will be able to hit you about unless you bowl very tightly.

Just try and practice more . After playing online now for almost 160 games between 10 and 20 Overs , pre-patch2 on the PS3 , I can tell you that the average Runs per Over in my example is between 6 - 7 an over . Which sounds just about right.

There is in fact too many tricks for the bowler , dont know if the Patched(PC) version actually has some of them taken away.

PS. Barmy I`m still waiting for a match against you as well . At least you are on my friends list last time I looked , but that was about where it ended up.

DBC is "not like that".... if you bowl well you won't get punished.

Some people have been playing for months and they will be able to hit you about unless you bowl very tightly.
An hour on and looking back at what happened in that game, I see I'm probably being harsh... A bit of a knee-jerk reaction from the frustration of seeing the ball sail to the fence over and over.

In all of the sports I've played, the most crushing and infuriating feeling comes when you're being demolished by a batsman in cricket, and I suppose at least this is replicated well in the game :p.

I won't be rushing back into online play until I've played a substantial amount of career mode I think!

Oh, and there was also quite a thick edge to the keeper which any umpire in the world would have given, but I didn't get the wicket because I didn't know the appeal button :p.

Last edited by a moderator:
small annoyances

Im loving this game at the moment and big ant has done a terrific job on this game. First ever ive loved bowling more than batting. A few things annoy me which are very minor and if change might help with realism.

Everytime I play a straight drive it goes back to the bowler as a caught and bowled chance.
Shots are always played at full power, would be great if we had a modifier to hit ahots at full power and the normal shots are more half shots, which would make test matches feel like tests. Commentary is really bad and half the time they dont make sense but atleast money went into making the gameplay great.

pitches hardly seems to affect bowling, was kinda dissapointed but was surprised height of the bowler created more bounce. Balls more than half the time dont carry to the keeper even when bowling at 90mph.

If these small little things change it would make a superb game.

my impressions so far a solid 8.5/10

WELL DONE BIG ANT

pitches hardly seems to affect bowling, was kinda dissapointed but was surprised height of the bowler created more bounce. Balls more than half the time dont carry to the keeper even when bowling at 90mph.

Are you talking about the PC version of the game? If this is indeed the case I will hold off from buying it until this is rectified. I was hoping that the slips and wickets keeper could be moved closer to the stumps with patch 2.

Users who are viewing this thread