Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

Although the game is brilliant, has anybody noticed that defensive strokes are way too hard to play, even more so than non-defensive shots. They result in too many edges with no apparent reason. It would be nice to have some sort of batting assistance whilst batting.
Another thing is that whenever i edge the ball (which is a lot, be it a spinner or pacer) the ball ALWAYS seems to go in the keeper's hand. I mean shouldn't some edges fly to the third man area or to second or third slip. This way the human dismissals will decrease a bit.
And has anybody seen the stumps uprooting, i haven't. Can anybody tell me how to make that happen?

Playing defensive is much more dangerous than attacking the ball in my experience on both patches. Play defensively (or sensibly not striking every ball) and you can be 25/3 after 8 ; hit at every ball and you can be 60/1 after 8. Not sure the balance has been struck properly yet.

Although the game is brilliant, has anybody noticed that defensive strokes are way too hard to play, even more so than non-defensive shots. They result in too many edges with no apparent reason. It would be nice to have some sort of batting assistance whilst batting.
Another thing is that whenever i edge the ball (which is a lot, be it a spinner or pacer) the ball ALWAYS seems to go in the keeper's hand. I mean shouldn't some edges fly to the third man area or to second or third slip. This way the human dismissals will decrease a bit.
And has anybody seen the stumps uprooting, i haven't. Can anybody tell me how to make that happen?

I've seen the stumps uprooted once or twice now. All I really remember about how though was Mitchell Johnson.

The defensive shots aren't really meant to be a cure all for bad stroke play, but they do seem a bit unforgiving at the moment. They aren't as risky as the other shots, but it seems that the loss of risk isn't as much as the reward of going harder at the moment. It does seem a better strategy to hit it about a bit.

I think part of the issue is the mix of balancing the edges from the physics and the edges the AI generate from it. I still think that the main issue with the lack of edges while the human bowls to the AI is down to how the AI plays. They tend to give up their wicket LBW and bowled a bit too much (particularly to comical shots like the dressing room shot, basically a late, late cut off the stumps) and don't tend to get many edges as they seem to either middle it or miss by miles. It's a bit better than it was, but still needs a lot of work. Hopefully balancing in this department can be done in tandem with a bit of balancing with defensive shots.

Keep in mind that defensive shots should definitely not be a cure all, they aren't the: "I'm safe" shot, they're just a safer option. It does seem at the moment that the safety offered isn't enough to justify them for the most part though. The key of course is mastering the mix of defensive shots and leaves. You don't want to be playing unnecessary shots and giving away those chances for edges.

Well, the thing is in real life you can score from defensive shots, and that's intrinsic to their real life usefulness.

If you really time a block off a quick bowler you can get 4 for it.

i've not really noticed the issue with defensive shots. they're one of my "go to" shots, in terms of moving the field round because you play a few and they will move in close fielders and give you space elsewhere. it's worth sticking with and getting down. i tend to have a finger on the back buttons ready...

edges you're right. the system is way off. 99.999% of edges go to the keeper, there is no variety at all. and it is almost impossible to get a proper AI edge. post patch 2 on PC and xbox I have bowled probably upwards of 300 overs and got something like 3 edges and none of those have really looked like a "real world" edge from a defensive push or flashing drive.

i would put AI field-setting, edges in general, and spin/seam as three systems in the game that need a drastic overhaul. it's a wonderful game, but these things are fundamental and are quite a weakness. it's actually testament to the quality elsewhere in the game that even with three pretty major things essentially broken i still bloody love this game. the game is more than the sum of its parts.

Well, the thing is in real life you can score from defensive shots, and that's intrinsic to their real life usefulness.

If you really time a block off a quick bowler you can get 4 for it.

You can get a 4 by edging it or directing it towards a vacant third man position. Highly unlikely to get a 4 from a push.

You can score from defensive shots in the game now though. Look for the gap, play into it, run. I've gotten a fair few runs doing that. Isn't still better to just knock it about (again, it needs a little bit of work), but it's not like it's impossible.

----------

i've not really noticed the issue with defensive shots. they're one of my "go to" shots, in terms of moving the field round because you play a few and they will move in close fielders and give you space elsewhere. it's worth sticking with and getting down. i tend to have a finger on the back buttons ready...

edges you're right. the system is way off. 99.999% of edges go to the keeper, there is no variety at all. and it is almost impossible to get a proper AI edge. post patch 2 on PC and xbox I have bowled probably upwards of 300 overs and got something like 3 edges and none of those have really looked like a "real world" edge from a defensive push or flashing drive.

i would put AI field-setting, edges in general, and spin/seam as three systems in the game that need a drastic overhaul. it's a wonderful game, but these things are fundamental and are quite a weakness. it's actually testament to the quality elsewhere in the game that even with three pretty major things essentially broken i still bloody love this game. the game is more than the sum of its parts.

I'd add close catching as something that needs the most work of the lot. Just because something is designated "a chance" doesn't mean that it should be stopped and completely blocked by the players hand. You can have a chance where it keeps going.

The thing is there are edges, and the physics is there for them, it just seems to be the AI that is the issue. Too much middle or miss.

I would also agree though that there aren't enough going to the slips, it's all too fine, not enough deflecting a way, but that may also come down to there just not being enough. I posted a screenshot in another thread of an edge to third slip, but that was a game I set up for edges (picked the pitch conditions, Australia v Russia, T10 match, aggressive fields), managed to get something like 7 edges from that actually.

The AI really should be giving away a lot more edges than they do, and not giving their wicket up as easily elsewhere, but of course, it's a very delicate balancing act.

Hopefully @BigAntStudios and co take this all on board and continue investigating it and looking for such balance changes for patch 3.

yeah i really wish Big Ant overhauls the nicking system to make the game even more realistic. Anyhoo are you guys having the drop in frame rate issue? Is there anyway to prevent it or at least minimise it? Thanks in advance

The thing is there are edges, and the physics is there for them, it just seems to be the AI that is the issue. Too much middle or miss.

I would also agree though that there aren't enough going to the slips, it's all too fine, not enough deflecting a way, but that may also come down to there just not being enough.

i disagree, in that i don't think the physics for them is right, or even close to. whether it's pure collision detection or something else in addition i am not sure but it's just way, way off, hence your second paragraph that they are all to fine, so rarely going to slip. and yeah the AI middle or miss, it's a combination of AI and a "edges"/physics system that is not right.

agree with the close catching/blocking thing too, but i'd have it after the other issues i mentioned. AI field setting, edges, and spin/seam are more important in my eyes. maybe then pitch conditions too.

----------

@MadhavanGovind

thanks, i could never have imagined what a game installing would be like unless i'd seen it.

I'm afraid I must insist that, with really excellent timing, it's possible to block a quick bowler for 4.

I respect your right to remain a sceptic, however.

i seem to recall Damien Martyn used to play a wonderful straight "push" with no follow-through that would fly to the boundary like a rocket

Yeah he was such an exquisite timer of the ball. Even more so than Mark Waugh, possibly.

Most relaxing player to watch from the 90s/00s, also possibly. Economy of movement elevated to an art form.

Yeah he was such an exquisite timer of the ball. Even more so than Mark Waugh, possibly.

Most relaxing player to watch from the 90s/00s, also possibly. Economy of movement elevated to an art form.

much though i disliked it as an england fan, as a cricket fan in the Ashes 2001 he was just wonderful to watch

Users who are viewing this thread