Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

i seem to recall Damien Martyn used to play a wonderful straight "push" with no follow-through that would fly to the boundary like a rocket

There's a difference between a block and a Martyn push. You don't need a followthrough to put a bit more back into the ball.

Speaking of that though, I think they do need to give the push (when the trigger isn't fully depressed) a bit of a buff.

You can get a 4 by edging it or directing it towards a vacant third man position. Highly unlikely to get a 4 from a push.

You can score from defensive shots in the game now though. Look for the gap, play into it, run. I've gotten a fair few runs doing that. Isn't still better to just knock it about (again, it needs a little bit of work), but it's not like it's impossible.

----------

I'd add close catching as something that needs the most work of the lot. Just because something is designated "a chance" doesn't mean that it should be stopped and completely blocked by the players hand. You can have a chance where it keeps going.

The thing is there are edges, and the physics is there for them, it just seems to be the AI that is the issue. Too much middle or miss.

I would also agree though that there aren't enough going to the slips, it's all too fine, not enough deflecting a way, but that may also come down to there just not being enough. I posted a screenshot in another thread of an edge to third slip, but that was a game I set up for edges (picked the pitch conditions, Australia v Russia, T10 match, aggressive fields), managed to get something like 7 edges from that actually.

The AI really should be giving away a lot more edges than they do, and not giving their wicket up as easily elsewhere, but of course, it's a very delicate balancing act.

Hopefully @BigAntStudios and co take this all on board and continue investigating it and looking for such balance changes for patch 3.

yeah great "straight line physics", really pleasing that you and the coders find these to be realistic physics.............not a single sign of any bending in flight of these shots, in fact any shots.............but lets not patch these major flaws and concentrate on ''run rates'' eh guys?

yeah great "straight line physics", really pleasing that you and the coders find these to be realistic physics.............not a single sign of any bending in flight of these shots, in fact any shots.............but lets not patch these major flaws and concentrate on ''run rates'' eh guys?

I thought you were over it ;)

Can anyone tell me if it is common for the Captain to continually bowl if he wins the toss?
Currently I'm playing for Yorkshire on contract as a batting allrounder and so far in both the 'County cup' and the 40 over game he always bowls if he wins the toss? Normal or bugged?
Subsequently we are chasing very large totals especially in the 4 day game.

Neil W

Just my two cents observation on the edges to the Keeper.

Ive now started to count the caught Behinds per match in my Online T20 matches.

The average at this point in time is about 4 caught behinds per innings for both sides. Will continue to monitor this. It currently is impossible to know why it happened , without any visual aids , to the point where it feels as if your time is just up as a batsmen.

Just my two cents observation on the edges to the Keeper.

Ive now started to count the caught Behinds per match in my Online T20 matches.

The average at this point in time is about 4 caught behinds per innings for both sides. Will continue to monitor this. It currently is impossible to know why it happened , without any visual aids , to the point where it feels as if your time is just up as a batsmen.

The issue isn't human to human or even AI to human, the issue is that the AI don't give up anywhere near enough edges.

Monitor it though, it might be an interesting point.

defensive prods to 4 is certainly possible but rare in real cricket, esp nowadays.

Last edited by a moderator:
defensive prods to 4 is certainly possible but rare in real cricket, esp nowadays.

Again, that's quite a forward push, not exactly a defensive shot. They should probably give defensive pushes a bit of a buff (that is, the right trigger slightly depressed), but out right defensive shots don't usually go like that.

All in the fine tuning though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, that's quite a forward push, not exactly a defensive shot. They should probably give defensive pushes a bit of a buff (that is, the right trigger slightly depressed), but out right defensive shots don't usually go like that.

All in the fine tuning though.

If you study the shot, he's played that with loose wrists, and there is certainly no conscious effort for any kind of follow-through. He isn't pushing through the ball himself, but he's allowing the momentum of the bat itself to continue enough to guide the ball forward.

I too play a LOT of balls with loose wrists...

It's about time we named and shamed those damn pirates...
2T0dpzA.png

Users who are viewing this thread