Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

Could not figure out the correct thread for this question so posting it here. I am unable to access the Don Bradman Cricket 14 Downloads thread. It says for verified PC owners only. How do I get my copy of DBC14 verified to get access to that thread. Thanks :):) stream ID: simant.purohit

Read the threads in the forum you're posting in. The answer is easily found.

It's about time we named and shamed those damn pirates...
2T0dpzA.png

I wonder what I'd be testing in that version!

Crazy thing is when I search for an online match I just see the full list of pirates :yes

----------

Could not figure out the correct thread for this question so posting it here. I am unable to access the Don Bradman Cricket 14 Downloads thread. It says for verified PC owners only. How do I get my copy of DBC14 verified to get access to that thread. Thanks :):) stream ID: simant.purohit

Go to the credits screen, your ID will be copied, then you can post it here by simply pasting it.

Some people have it already, it's pretty random right now.

Can certainly applaud the guys for the way the new ball is a big help! 7th ball with it and I get an edge to Matt Prior.

You can get a 4 by edging it or directing it towards a vacant third man position. Highly unlikely to get a 4 from a push.

You can score from defensive shots in the game now though. Look for the gap, play into it, run. I've gotten a fair few runs doing that. Isn't still better to just knock it about (again, it needs a little bit of work), but it's not like it's impossible.

----------

I'd add close catching as something that needs the most work of the lot. Just because something is designated "a chance" doesn't mean that it should be stopped and completely blocked by the players hand. You can have a chance where it keeps going.

The thing is there are edges, and the physics is there for them, it just seems to be the AI that is the issue. Too much middle or miss.

I would also agree though that there aren't enough going to the slips, it's all too fine, not enough deflecting a way, but that may also come down to there just not being enough. I posted a screenshot in another thread of an edge to third slip, but that was a game I set up for edges (picked the pitch conditions, Australia v Russia, T10 match, aggressive fields), managed to get something like 7 edges from that actually.

The AI really should be giving away a lot more edges than they do, and not giving their wicket up as easily elsewhere, but of course, it's a very delicate balancing act.

Hopefully @BigAntStudios and co take this all on board and continue investigating it and looking for such balance changes for patch 3.

I think the AI edge issue links into my stubbornness on other threads where i am adamant there is no sidespin on shots. I haven't mentioned yet that i am a huge AI vs AI ''gameplayer'', and admittedly haven't once tried playing the game myself yet, its all been AI vs AI !

For this reason........I think I've finally realized why I dont witness shots swerving off the bat, its got to be down to the fact there are so few edge shots played by the AI (i haven't seen any yet) and hence no wicked side spin on those actual shots which an edge would have within the shot trajectory.

So apologies for all my previous rants, I forgot to mention I am only watching AI vs AI, and once the AI edge's issue is resolved via a patch I will finally see that spin on shots.

Last edited:
Surprise for who? Pirates or us?

Absolutely loving this game and it has definitely exceeded my expectations.

I played a few games in career mode tonght and had some lovely moments that I never thought I would experience in a cricket game first was when I was batting - right arm bowler changed to round the wicket the change of angle to what a thought looked a straight ball resulted in me knicking off behind trying to defend - it looked so good and it's great to be able to watch it through again on all the replay options.

Then when I was bowling I got a cutter to seam back in off a length to a LH after bowling a few that went away and trapped the batsman LBW - again it looked so good on the hawk eye replay and was a proper cricket moment.

I've read a few people saying that the ball doesn't seam and swing much but from my experience tonight I did not find that this was the case - does it depend on the pitch type etc? Which I guess brings me to a question in that is it possible to view the pitch on the menu screen to see the conditions/ pitch type? To see the condition of the ball would also be welcome too.

I posted this in the gameplay videos thread, but I think it's worth posting here too as it's a point of discussion;

I think this shows how unscripted the game is - having not performed any inputs on the controller, I would have expected the ball to pass through the bat, but the game recognised the bat on ball collision.

It's great that you can play this game for hours and hours, yet still see things that are new or unusual.

@Ricco_M - Cutters move off the pitch because of spin being applied to the ball rather than the seam, they are pretty much fast off-breaks or leg-breaks, that's why some of the pace of the delivery is lost. The lack of seam movement people mention will be from straight-seam deliveries, which I have rarely seen deviate from a straight path.

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted this in the gameplay videos thread, but I think it's worth posting here too as it's a point of discussion;

I think this shows how unscripted the game is - having not performed any inputs on the controller, I would have expected the ball to pass through the bat, but the game recognised the bat on ball collision.

It's great that you can play this game for hours and hours, yet still see things that are new or unusual.

@Ricco_M - Cutters move off the pitch because of spin being applied to the ball rather than the seam, they are pretty much fast off-breaks or leg-breaks, that's why some of the pace of the delivery is lost. The lack of seam movement people mention will be from straight-seam deliveries, which I have rarely seen deviate from a straight path.

To test out edges and such I've come up with a standard doctored pitch and pair of teams to play that I can generally get 4ish edges a match from. T10, Australia (me) v Russia (AI), Pitch: Grassy;Hard;Uneven;Heavy and on Pro. I've seen a bit of just plain seam movement in normal matches, but can get quite a bit (unsurprisingly) on that pitch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wazzap people. Solid game. However, when you are batting, is there any middle ground behind playing defensive strokes (which go nowhere), and playing the normal strokes (which go in the air and risk getting you out caught)?

I remember in Brian Lara Cricket 2007 we had the option of a sort of push-shot, where you can just push/nudge balls into gaps relatively risk free to pinch singles and twos. I'm looking for that sort of middle ground, instead of playing a block-block-attack sort of game.

Users who are viewing this thread