Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

@blockerdave - Here is the video, they were both pretty much identical and within a few overs of each other, although that does happen now and again in cricket;

I was aiming for that crack in the pitch - I don't know if that made any difference here but you do get some movement off them occasionally.

I don't know what happened to the sound effects for the appeal on the first one and the commentary that goes with it, odd.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if BA have tweaked the PC settings slightly over the last few days.

I could swear I'm playing later when batting. I'm using the modded ball though so maybe it's that. Deffo easier to see and being able to watch the seam position in flight is handy.

I wonder if BA have tweaked the PC settings slightly over the last few days.

I could swear I'm playing later when batting. I'm using the modded ball though so maybe it's that. Deffo easier to see and being able to watch the seam position in flight is handy.

Which modded ball would that be?

I just battled through to my first fifty in career mode, making 54 from 64 deliveries before getting caught & bowled from a thick edge (quite realistic actually).

In the 40s though, I thought for sure I was a goner... Played and missed with the ball going straight through the gate and my heart was in my mouth expecting to hear the dreaded sound of ball on stump... But I somehow survived!

Here was what 'Big Eye' made of it;

P2LNxpm.jpg

Bit of a close shave! Could hardly be closer!

I also picked up a couple more caught behind wickets in the match in quick succession, might post another video for @blockerdave to learn from :p.

What a fantastic game.

Jeez. You really can't get any closer than that! Lucky beggar! :clap

It would be really cool if we could edit stuff like our career player's appearance and team kits etc in the middle of career mode. Atm my career player just got selected for ODIs and we were playing England but for some reason they were playing in Test whites. Was pretty hard to pick the ball up :p

It would be really cool if we could edit stuff like our career player's appearance and team kits etc in the middle of career mode. Atm my career player just got selected for ODIs and we were playing England but for some reason they were playing in Test whites. Was pretty hard to pick the ball up :p

I would have wanted this yesterday. I had a really good start to a career going, but then realised I selected the wrong nationality. It would have been nice to be able to amend that.

Hey ho, back to the start I went :lol

Does anyone else here suffer the 'Bad luck mate" syndrome?

Since starting my 4th career I must have been out by this method more times than I care to admit.

Its basically where the player is hit on the pads well outside leg stump only to see the ball rebound from my 'obviously concrete' pads onto the stumps. A few times perhaps but over and over?

Neil W

@blockerdave - Here is the video, they were both pretty much identical and within a few overs of each other, although that does happen now and again in cricket;

I was aiming for that crack in the pitch - I don't know if that made any difference here but you do get some movement off them occasionally.

I don't know what happened to the sound effects for the appeal on the first one and the commentary that goes with it, odd.

Nothing like statistically small samples to make a point.

Depending on conditions I can get a few in most match types, the issue however is that it's just not up to realistic levels. It should at first class and test level be about 4-5 wickets in an innings on average. That is, it could be 1, it could be 8 for any innings, by over a long time it should even out at around 4-5 when you count them all up. At this point in time getting 4 odd is strange enough for people to post videos of, and that speaks volumes about the problem.

I still don't think it's the physics that are entirely to blame here, but rather the AI still needs some tweaking (this is not the swear filter, I actually mean it needs a tweak). The AI of course would need to be made a bit more solid in other areas (in particular I think the dressing room shot needs to be looked at, particularly in first class and tests), and I have a suspicion this might also be part of the problem (that is, the AI too easily give away they wicket in other manners, making the edges rarer in comparison). I'm sure Big Ant will be working hard on this, if not now, then after the Xbox 360 problems are sorted.

I'd also add something else that is disgustingly obvious in the videos you've been posting. Some of their edges are heading for first, if not second slip and the keeper just casually takes them like it's nothing. Player momentum and reactions are well and truly an issue.

Speaking of which, so is AI pacing, particularly with running between the wickets. They aren't even likely in the slightest to get run out it seems, and will give up easy singles (and doubles, and triples) for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Good bowling by the way.

Since starting my 4th career I must have been out by this method more times than I care to admit.

Its basically where the player is hit on the pads well outside leg stump only to see the ball rebound from my 'obviously concrete' pads onto the stumps. A few times perhaps but over and over?

Neil W

My most recent was trying to play square off the front foot to a ball wide outside off. My boy leapt into the covers, and directed the ball onto the stumps with his arse.

I didn't get a bad luck mate, though, I thought you only got those if it comes off the edge?

Neil W

It usually happens to me when I'm on the verge of a batting milestone. On my current career, it happened at 49 - just shy of my debut 50.

What is your secret, you seem to be getting edges galore? You are like the Glenn McGrath of DBC14 bowling. I cannot buy an edge. I would have gladly paid the batsman for some cheap wickets.

Nothing like statistically small samples to make a point.

Depending on conditions I can get a few in most match types, the issue however is that it's just not up to realistic levels. It should at first class and test level be about 4-5 wickets in an innings on average. That is, it could be 1, it could be 8 for any innings, by over a long time it should even out at around 4-5 when you count them all up. At this point in time getting 4 odd is strange enough for people to post videos of, and that speaks volumes about the problem.

I still don't think it's the physics that are entirely to blame here, but rather the AI still needs some tweaking (this is not the swear filter, I actually mean it needs a tweak). The AI of course would need to be made a bit more solid in other areas (in particular I think the dressing room shot needs to be looked at, particularly in first class and tests), and I have a suspicion this might also be part of the problem (that is, the AI too easily give away they wicket in other manners, making the edges rarer in comparison). I'm sure Big Ant will be working hard on this, if not now, then after the Xbox 360 problems are sorted.

I'd also add something else that is disgustingly obvious in the videos you've been posting. Some of their edges are heading for first, if not second slip and the keeper just casually takes them like it's nothing. Player momentum and reactions are well and truly an issue.

Speaking of which, so is AI pacing, particularly with running between the wickets. They aren't even likely in the slightest to get run out it seems, and will give up easy singles (and doubles, and triples) for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Good bowling by the way.
It's a small sample size, and I'm not trying to prove a point that the edges are fine - it's just that I've seen a few people complain that they only get one after hundreds of deliveries and I've had it multiple times in Career mode where I've taken a couple of batsmen caught behind within a few overs of each other. I thought I'd post vids these times to show that it is possible, and what types of delivery produced them, I'm not trying to prove anything scientifically :).

I agree that it could still do with some tweaking, although it would need to be balanced to still allow the AI to post reasonable scores without being skittled out mostly caught behind for next to nothing.

The physics system in place seems more than capable of producing the thick edges towards the 3rd slip-gully region, as I have been dismissed this way in Career mode a few times and they looked quite realistic - I've just never seen those types of edges against the AI or even online where people use much more highly rated batsmen.

100% agreed about player momentum and reactions which you've covered a few times, definitely needs work although this will probably be for a next iteration rather than updates to this one.

I've noticed the AI running very cautiously in FC games, if a fielder is anywhere near picking up the ball they just won't run, and they will sprint/dive unnecessarily when they could just walk into the crease without danger.

What is your secret, you seem to be getting edges galore? You are like the Glenn McGrath of DBC14 bowling. I cannot buy an edge. I would have gladly paid the batsman for some cheap wickets.
Well, as Alberts said this is a small sample size so I wouldn't call myself an expert :p

What I usually do though is use the pitch if possible (aim for cracks), move around the crease, mix up the delivery types occasionally, and mostly bowl a good length. Not sure what else to say really - I just bowl how I would in real life to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread