Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

This.

I sim fielding almost exclusively. Not just because it's dull, but because I record every match I play. There would be humongous 7 hour recordings in there otherwise!

I would love to see a whole test match of yours recorded! Every ball! I can almost hear the snoring of boredom on your part!

To be fair, BA have tried to make fielding more fun, but lets be honest, fielding is very dull!

----------

Played a new career where I am opening the batting. 2nd innings the AI opens with a spinner.

How is that slipping through the net? Just should not be happening

Was there a cause for a spinner?!

I would love to see a whole test match of yours recorded! Every ball! I can almost hear the snoring of boredom on your part!

To be fair, BA have tried to make fielding more fun, but lets be honest, fielding is very dull!

I'd like for Big Ant to take a few cues from MLB The Show, where you have the option to play the fielding only for opportunities that will involve you, or at least take place somewhere nearby.

Fielding I am afraid, is just one of those things that does not translate too well for career mode. At least in real life you can involve yourself more with what is going on around you, like talking to people or just watching people in between plays. In a video game, you can't get away from the fact that you are still sat there looking at nothing happening on screen.

I'd like for Big Ant to take a few cues from MLB The Show, where you have the option to play the fielding only for opportunities that will involve you, or at least take place somewhere nearby.

Yeah I was wondering about something like that.

Although it's a completely different sport, there's a reason why the MLB The Show series is widely praised as being the very best sports game available. There is simply an option in there to suit every play style. It can be as deep, or even as accessible as you choose to make it.

That said, Sony San Diego Studio has massive budgets and a huge development team. With the resources they have, Big Ant have done a stellar job so far. I'm sure are lots of things they wanted to do with DBC14 but you have to do what you can with what you have.

I imagine the first couple of iterations would mainly devote dev resources to batting and bowling, certainly for career mode.

I'd love a go at first person fielding, though. Slip catches, or maybe gully or point with some diving saves. Close to the bat reaction catches, maybe, or patrolling the covers for run outs.

Holy crap I just youtubed MLB 14. That looks amazing.

It really is. I've been hooked on the series for about 4 years or so now. In the career mode (Road to the show) you can set the option to field every play, field only plays that involve you, or even turn fielding off completely if you wish. But this game has evolved a fair bit each year for about 6 years. Longer if you count the previous baseball games that Sony did before The Show.

I don't think anyone seriously expected Big Ant to get everything right for the first iteration, buy my god they've got more right so far than anyone else has in cricket games. I guess the difference is that Big Ant seem to be the sort of developer that develop games that they themselves would like to play. I mean, take a look at AC13 and tell me that was a product of love for the game of cricket! Big Ant seem to care, and that was what generated so much interest in DBC14 in the first place :)

The ability to designate the opening bowlers in the academy would sort out this problem. Just as you can do with the captain and keeper.

It's not the same thing though.

Captains are set 100%. Keepers are also set 100%, well maybe 90% for some countries who may have some keepers playing as designated batsmen.

Opening bowlers are not set. Sometimes they even change from one innings to the other.

I do think that the AI needs to get a bit better at choosing who bowls and when, yes, but having a set pair of opening bowlers is not the answer.

There's no doubt that the AI fielding choices and bowler choices needs work. Too many times I've seen fields set where the Silly Point has a short cover right behind him. And of course there's the constant problem of the AI starting a one day and 20/20 match with three slips.

These are not deal breaker issues, and actually with the inability to keep the ball on the ground playing any sort of shot (unless you're facing a half volley) the AI's weird field choices make batting a little easier. But still, it's the sort of issue that requires fixing.

Mondy

@ Whiteninness

For the sake of a game though I disagree. The EA series gave you the option to set your openers and people were happy enough with that and generally a team opens with it's best two pace bowlers. I can think of a few times when Australia opened with Warne and McGrath but that was always in the second innings as far as I can recall and it certainly wasn't a common occurrence.

My idea would certainly prevent the problem that Blocker and others have highlighted and I'm sure would be simple enough to patch in.

'Tis. It's what I've been playing for years, waiting for someone to get a cricket game right.

Lo and behold, along comes DBC 14 and my pitcher gets benched, permanently ...

Talking of baseball, I just got a game called "Out of the Park Baseball 14" in a Humble Bundle... It's basically the 'Football Manager' equivalent for baseball -installed it and tried to give it a go and I just have absolutely zero idea what I was meant to be doing :p. I do not understand baseball.

Users who are viewing this thread