Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

Is it possible now to add a time gauge type thing that is there in practice mode which tells the timing and foot placement, to regular matches like tour,competition.It would really help as in practice i can bat on veteran very well,but in original matches its really difficult on pro.So can it be solved.

3)Slow bowling speeds even a 155k delivery feels more like 125ks , I know this to compensate batting otherwise batting will nearly be impossible but as a result fast bowling doesn’t feel threatning at all

Agree with this. IRL the ball is sometimes a blur, and its just your quick reflexes which get your bat on ball. I'd love to have the ball fly quicker at Legend level. Right now all the fast bowling is like medium pacers and everything else like slow/spin bowling (speed). You also need to combine this with better surfaces ie. reduced friction in the outfield. In all my batting I've only ever hit a straight drive to the boundary maybe 2-3 times...all other times the ball has pulled up short. Silly when you see batsmen do this with a defensive push.

IRL the ball is sometimes a blur

...this isn't real though, it's a simulated "reality" and not being able to see the ball at all, wouldn't be much fun for your average cricket gamer.

In all my batting I've only ever hit a straight drive to the boundary maybe 2-3 times

Aggressive ground trigger?

I'm not defending the game here, I'm genuinely curious about some of these suggstions/complaints about the game that's over a year old now and people are still finding it hard to hit a boundary along the ground for four? Odd. User error rather than a game needing redesign...

Agree with this. IRL the ball is sometimes a blur, and its just your quick reflexes which get your bat on ball. I'd love to have the ball fly quicker at Legend level. Right now all the fast bowling is like medium pacers and everything else like slow/spin bowling (speed). You also need to combine this with better surfaces ie. reduced friction in the outfield. In all my batting I've only ever hit a straight drive to the boundary maybe 2-3 times...all other times the ball has pulled up short. Silly when you see batsmen do this with a defensive push.

With all due respect, any mechanism which doesn't allow folks enough time to pick line & length and play shots without pre-meditation is not quite useful. It would be easy for Big Ant to simply ramp up the speed of the delivery but what useful purpose would it serve? In real life you can react much faster as you have the advantage of 3D and depth perception plus you can react as late as you want to. But in a video game you can't judge line & length in an instant, you have to rely on cues (circle around the ball etc.) and it takes more time than real life.

Plus there are number of steps or latency points in between which you don't have in real life: Visual cues on the screen->interpreting the same by users and responding accordingly (button/stick inputs)->wifi/network latency between controller and console->latency added due to TV (even with gaming mode it takes a few msecs for signal processing). If you are playing an online game, and the game design has to account for the same, the process or latency points gets multiplied by 2 as the signal/data has to go to the other end over internet, with Sony/MS/Big Ant servers in between.

People play games to derive enjoyment and fun, and if you need to possess reflexes of a professional sportsperson, you are looking at a very limited number of potential customers. Adding more speed without allowing users any way to respond to the same in an intelligible or non-premeditated fashion serves no purpose at all, and the only way to allow users to respond to the same would be to provide in the in-game cues (the colored circle around the ball) a lot earlier.

Aggressive ground trigger?

I'm not defending the game here, I'm genuinely curious about some of these suggstions/complaints about the game that's over a year old now and people are still finding it hard to hit a boundary along the ground for four? Odd. User error rather than a game needing redesign...

Straight drives are indeed an issue in this iteration of the game and hopefully it will be addressed in future iterations. Playing a straight drive invariably results in a caught & bowled chance and the bowler intercepts nearly everything. The very occasional shot which gets by the bowler either gets saved by mid-on/mid-off fielders or doesn't reach the boundary. Aggressive triggers is not the answer as straight drives, like most drives, rely on timing. How many times have we seen in real life a batsman present straight face of the bat or play a checked drive and the ball rockets past the bowler for a 4? That piece is missing in the game.

I don't think it's the straight drives that are the issue, it's more the bowlers ability to stop/field them every other time. IMO it's a fielding mechanism that's still not quite right... as I've said many times, fielding/field sets are the weakest part of the design and has been since day one.

...this isn't real though, it's a simulated "reality" and not being able to see the ball at all, wouldn't be much fun for your average cricket gamer.

My point is, playing at Legend should be more difficult...thats why you have the Legend difficulty setting. Otherwise it would be one-size-fits-all. Yes there's a learning curve in the beginning, but in order to keep picking this game up 12+ months after release, there's got to be a challenge. I restarted a career in Legend because I didn't think being able to score hundreds at 150+ strike rates whilst only being 18 y/o was very realistic.

and yes, if I drive a ball (on or off), it SHOULD fly off the bat. Thats because I'm using the momentum already in the ball (don't ask me to spell out the scientific reasons). If Ian Bell or Steve Smith are able to do it (ie. a 'push' down the ground for 4), why should I not be able to do it in DB14? Yes its 12 months after release, but BA are finally getting around to investing a lot more time in patching stuff so now is the best time to request it.

laying at Legend should be more difficult...thats why you have the Legend difficulty setting

...and many people do find it difficult, myself included. I'm not sure what your angle is? Naturally over time difficulty levels become easier and easier, even the hardest modes. You can't expect a developer to keep patching a game to make it harder for a few core players, most of us are in that "core" category.

There's not going to be any more patches to these very minor things, for better or worse. So you're kinda wasting your... I wanna say... keyboard time? Just enjoy what you have got.

I don't think it's the straight drives that are the issue, it's more the bowlers ability to stop/field them every other time. IMO it's a fielding mechanism that's still not quite right... as I've said many times, fielding/field sets are the weakest part of the design and has been since day one.

We are on the same page. It's the demon bowler who impedes the ability to play straight drives but there's one thing that still needs to be addressed (at least on the console versions). Majority of the shots hit straight go in the air and are dropped by the bowler. This shouldn't be the case and most of the drives should go along the ground. Only odd drives which are mistimed and hit too early should be catchable.

We are on the same page. It's the demon bowler who impedes the ability to play straight drives but there's one thing that still needs to be addressed (at least on the console versions). Majority of the shots hit straight go in the air and are dropped by the bowler. This shouldn't be the case and most of the drives should go along the ground. Only odd drives which are mistimed and hit too early should be catchable.
Its been reduced by a great deal now, it pitches before the bowler drops its because of the speed of the ball...Its just been tweaked a bit but all these kind of things must be taken care in the next version, a lot more "with the flow" kind of game is required for us to play along with these controls...As far as DBC 14 is concerned its just a great base created for the series...
Another thing which I have noticed is that playing on the backfoot the bowler lets the ball go through more than on front foot....The issue is definitely there but less...

i have question related to swing bowling....how can we get the maximum swing from the bowler? in the online gaming i though get swing but not much. i have seen other players bowling really good swing bowling. can anyone help me in bowling good swing deliveries and can give me some tips about it?

i have question related to swing bowling....how can we get the maximum swing from the bowler? in the online gaming i though get swing but not much. i have seen other players bowling really good swing bowling. can anyone help me in bowling good swing deliveries and can give me some tips about it?

You have to press the LAS in the direction in which you want to get swing during bowling.

upload_2015-8-1_8-22-53.png

Users who are viewing this thread