Don Bradman Cricket 14 - World Premiere Discussion

re the AI bowling speeds, in CA, all default on disc players have identical, default, crap attributes. I assume this is resulting in the slow bowling speeds as they have slow arm speed? in matt's video it was using created players that have been attributed, probably have better arm speed and therefore can bowl quicker?

if ross could confirm that it'd be awesome, as it would give us a feel for how attributes feed into gameplay.

So we've got a few people kicking up a little stink about there being no tapping of the bat. How about the lack of a button dedicated to box adjusting! outrageous! :P

having watched the video, there are several positives and negatives.

one query, however, from some of the speech in the video, it sounded like ross was batting, is that correct? and what was the difficulty?

so the positives:
  • the mellow crowd sound was good, spot on for first morning of a test.
  • the overlay when a new batsman comes in looks lovely
  • good run & dive @ 6.30 - dive looks very realistic.
  • love the replay system - notice how on the replay for the catch at cover the bowler and short leg follow the ball with their eyes.
  • guy walking off shaking his head after getting out with a bad shot is great
  • cut to umpire for boundaries is cool
  • great that we can call up big lines/pitch/wheel whenever we want and filter it how we want (though why is it under Big Ant Review System in the menu, that's a bit confusing - I initially thought perhaps you could call up hotspot/snicko that way)
  • noticed you could change next man in, like that!

the negatives - not sure what are known and fixed in the patch, hopefully most of them, because they appeared to be bugs rather than "bad" gameplay
  • obvious boundary issue, but i believe this has already been mentioned by ross that they're on it
  • few times the wrong fielder chased down the ball - e.g. around 3 minutes in the keeper chases ball past the bowler and fields even though the bowler, mid off and mid on are much closer and all just stand there; short leg fielded at cover at 5.25 even though they had a cover in place who just stood there...
  • a couple of times a fielder just strolled up to the ball while another fielder from much further away ran the ball down. usually resulted in a "false" boundary so maybe related to that issue?
  • there's definitely a blind spot in pro-cam, where you lose the ball. pity because otherwise it would be a great view
  • while the instant replays on the wickets are good, i hate that this is following other games in that the replay is focused on the ball, the fielder catches, throws the ball (stupidly) high in the air and the camera follows that rather than focussing on the fielder. every cricket game does that, and in every game it looks terrible and unrealistic

positives outweigh the negatives, for me. only 2 of the negatives (pro-cam and replay following the ball after a catch) seem to be design rather than bugs, so can - and hopefully are already - fixed by a patch.

I'm not really counting it as a negative because i appreciate it's a budget issue, pure and simple, but the commentary - sorry, it's rubbish. it's a shame because we've got a 2013 game with 1993 commentary. when he says something like "big wicket for... England" it's like this,only worse:

Last edited by a moderator:
The commentary is not good but it's no biggie for me personally, as long as it can be switched off as I have done in the past, once again nobody has improved on Brian Lara even after all these years and watching the vid that Angad has just posted shows how far off the mark these games have all been.

While talking about the audio, we will be getting different crowd sounds for different countries?? I used to love playing in the West Indies in previous titles with the horns going off

I'm not really counting it as a negative because i appreciate it's a budget issue, pure and simple, but the commentary - sorry, it's rubbish. it's a shame because we've got a 2013 game with 1993 commentary. when he says something like "big wicket for... England" it's like this,only worse
It's partially an issue with having the degree of choice - with how many team names they've recorded for inclusion it's impossible to record a variety of lines without needing to do that.

Obviously other sports games manage to cover that up slightly better - but I'd take that over only having 10 national teams.

It's partially an issue with having the degree of choice - with how many team names they've recorded for inclusion it's impossible to record a variety of lines without needing to do that.

Obviously other sports games manage to cover that up slightly better - but I'd take that over only having 10 national teams.

i agree, but when i heard that i just pictured moe with a beer glass in front of his mouth!

In the 20 minutes gameplay @3:17 the batsman does not reach the crease after the dive...Is it a bug or is it based on timing for the dive on user input??

So we've got a few people kicking up a little stink about there being no tapping of the bat. How about the lack of a button dedicated to box adjusting! outrageous! :P

Sorry but that is just a ridiculous comment. Tapping of the bat is an integral part of batting, it helps you focus on the bowler and is not merely a style. It is such small details which will differentiate a great game from a good game.

There is tapping of the bat in TTC too, I understand that there may be an issue with the pro cam here which is why it may be disabled after the bowler starts his run up but downplaying its importance is what is outrageous!

The commentary is not good but it's no biggie for me personally, as long as it can be switched off as I have done in the past, once again nobody has improved on Brian Lara even after all these years and watching the vid that Angad has just posted shows how far off the mark these games have all been.

While talking about the audio, we will be getting different crowd sounds for different countries?? I used to love playing in the West Indies in previous titles with the horns going off

And if not would it be possible to mod sounds and add our own? (ive still got BLC99 sound files knocking around somewhere)

Sorry but that is just a ridiculous comment. Tapping of the bat is an integral part of batting, it helps you focus on the bowler and is not merely a style. It is such small details which will differentiate a great game from a good game.

I don't know, I understand and all but its all about priorities, I'm sure the guys at Big Ant can fine tune in small details all they want, but at the end of the day the game has to come out and it looks like from the past week that they've got all the fundamentals when it comes to gameplay down pat, and thats the number one priority when it comes to a first iteration.

And if not would it be possible to mod sounds and add our own? (ive still got BLC99 sound files knocking around somewhere)
Well it's possible to extract the sounds out of the cricket academy, so it should be easy enough to replace them on the PC version.

I don't know, I understand and all but its all about priorities, I'm sure the guys at Big Ant can fine tune in small details all they want, but at the end of the day the game has to come out and it looks like from the past week that they've got all the fundamentals when it comes to gameplay down pat, and thats the number one priority when it comes to a first iteration.

They have got the pat, it is very nicely done in Table Top Cricket as well :)

It appears that there is consistently a short leg and/or silly mid-off fielding positions occupied in this game, some of the videos from the play session perhaps suggest early in a team's innings. I'm a little concerned about this as it may suggest it's one of those strategies to consistently get cheap wickets which commonly pops up in cricket games. Those fielding positions are not commonly filled, and both are rarely filled at the same time unless the bowling team has specific bowling strategies for the batsman or are on the attack.

Any info on this? I'm a little concerned about this so early in the innings

It appears that there is consistently a short leg and/or silly mid-off fielding positions occupied in this game, some of the videos from the play session perhaps suggest early in a team's innings. I'm a little concerned about this as it may suggest it's one of those strategies to consistently get cheap wickets which commonly pops up in cricket games. Those fielding positions are not commonly filled, and both are rarely filled at the same time unless the bowling team has specific bowling strategies for the batsman or are on the attack.

Any info on this? I'm a little concerned about this so early in the innings

silly mid-off maybe not, but short leg is pretty common earlier on.

i would guess it's a function of the most aggressive fields having these positions and games starting with aggressive fields.

Users who are viewing this thread