Don Bradman Cricket in the Press

The information has to be put across to the user somewhere: if not on the pitch or around the ball then where? I think the line is fairly straightforwards as you can pick that up from the position of the ball, but there has to be something that indicates length: otherwise I just don't think the batsman has enough to go on from a gameplay perspective.

this xInfinity

The information has to be put across to the user somewhere: if not on the pitch or around the ball then where? I think the line is fairly straightforwards as you can pick that up from the position of the ball, but there has to be something that indicates length: otherwise I just don't think the batsman has enough to go on from a gameplay perspective.

But why the need for a bright neon hud ?Why not something more subtle which doesn't detract from the "realness". I've already mentioned a shading on the wicket as a guide or better still the ability to adjust the ball speed to suit the player. Which as Blocker mentioned would get you watching the ball as you should.

But why the need for a bright neon hud ?Why not something more subtle which doesn't detract from the "realness". I've already mentioned a shading on the wicket as a guide or better still the ability to adjust the ball speed to suit the player. Which as Blocker mentioned would get you watching the ball as you should.

struggling to see how putting something on the pitch rather than around the ball gets you looking at the ball? it sounds like the opposite.

we could debate the size of the donut, actually i'd have it varying being smaller/bigger and appearing earlier/later depending on your batsman's ability and how "in" he is*, but something around the ball giving a clue to length is the best solution to lack of depth perception i can think of

*i'd also have it varying per player as to whether he is facing a seamer or spinner, and how good he is against that bowler type

Last edited:

I think because it needs to be very distinctive to help the player process it quickly: there's a LOT to think about in a very short space of time. It needs to be instantly clear - for me this IS "realness" as it's what's happening in a batsman's mind in the short space of time between hand and strike zone.

I agree with Dave: I think the major area of improvement in this is how the batsman's abilities can "game" the HUD, getting earlier warning depending on stats (and how a bowler's ability to disguise/change-up can counter counter!)

I would have a slider setting which a user can play around with to figure out how early or late (or maybe not at all) does the donut show up. The donut should have some preliminary information about length and maybe line so folks can choose the right footwork and shot. At the moment folks pre-meditate most of the shots while batting.

Oh I didn't see where you were going with that. Did they actually trademark that? Surely you can't trademark something that commonly used?

Oh I didn't see where you were going with that. Did they actually trademark that? Surely you can't trademark something that commonly used?

i'm sending you a cease and desist notice for violating my trademark on the word "commonly"

One assumes the trademark was referencing the placement mechanism rather than the term itself?

Either way, the mind still boggles that those two yellow lines were actually apparently a plus point...

One assumes the trademark was referencing the placement mechanism rather than the term itself?

Either way, the mind still boggles that those two yellow lines were actually apparently a plus point...

Was it actually trademarked though? Or are you pulling my leg?

Users who are viewing this thread