Story Dream To Wear The Baggy Green ? A C2007 Career Story

How Do You Rate Slats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
thanks boys. Maybe it will be Slats playing street cricket against little kids in Gatorade ad's in a few years ay. Cheers

Pura Cup ? Game 4
Victorian Bushrangers Vs New South Wales Blues
The MCG, Melbourne
29th November 2006

The old saying that runs get easier to come by once you?ve spent some time at the crease is coming true for me today as I have been able to find the middle of the bat easier and easier as the scoreboard ticks over. The same can?t be said for Nath Pilon who isn?t finding it all that easy against the varying NSW Blues attack.

The bowling change has worked for the Blues as Dom Thornely comes into the attack for the first time and picks up the wicket and the stumps of Pilon for just 7. Thornely then turned and pointed to one of the crowd members in bay 13 and yelled out ?Can?t pick up a wicket ay? You Victorian d***head.? Obviously some drunk had been giving him crap about his poor bowling ability and that was Dom?s way of returning the favour.

It?s bowlers now and to start them is Allan Wise who is not hopeless with the willow but it will definitely require me to score the majority of the runs if we are to get close to the NSW first innings total.

Victorian Bushrangers 7/250
5:26pm ? Day 2

79.1 overs

Slatter 37(64)*
Pilon 7(36)

Nicholson 2/51
Bollinger 1/57
Bradstreet 0/47
Krejza 1/56
Katich 2/28
Thornely 1/6

Victorian Bushrangers trail by 94 runs

Pura Cup ? Game 4
The MCG, Melbourne
29th November 2006

When Wisey came to the crease I gave him permission to hit out if he thought the ball was there to hit. The theory worked a treat as Wisey sent 2 balls straight to the boundary but then got to far ahead of himself playing early and across the line leading to a Matthew Phelps catch at square leg on the dive.

With just 10 minutes left in the day Wisey is a big wicket to lose and it now leaves us with just 2 wickets remaining. It looks as though the only lose one wicket in the session plan has gone out the window. One of the things on my mind apart from getting the team out of trouble is getting to my second first class half century before stumps so I dot have to think about it tonight.

Victorian Bushrangers 8/271
5:50pm ? Day 2

85.2 overs

Slatter 44(83)*
Pilon 9(18)

Nicholson 3/51
Bollinger 1/63
Bradstreet 0/47
Krejza 1/56
Katich 2/28
Thornely 1/19

Victorian Bushrangers trail by 73 runs

Pura Cup ? Game 4
The MCG, Melbourne
29th November 2006

My instruction to ?Stickers? Harwood were to ?get me on strike? because I want the half century tonight. When it came to the last over of the day and me standing at the none strikers end with 6 balls to get 2 runs I wasn?t to confident but a single down to fine leg left me 4 balls to achieve my second milestone in 4 games. The field was brought up in hope of me attempting to go over the top and misstiming one but.....

Luckily an on drive went straight enough to beat the fielder and go to the fence to bring up 50.

I kept a lid on the celebrations as getting to the landmark with just a couple of balls remaining was relief more then anything plus there is still a lot of work to do tomorrow to get back into the game let alone win the thing.

The removal of the bails is the best this to happen to the Victorians all day. Today?s play went the way of the NSW Blues but there job isn?t done as they still need to remove to more batsman and getting around Slatter after his half century wont be easy. Nicholson has been the pick of the bowlers so far and can be expected to take the new ball tomorrow in what will be an interesting days cricket. Ever run the Victorians score tomorrow morning will be vital to getting that one step closer to the Blues who look like picking up their first points for the season in this innings.

Victorian Bushrangers 8/284
Stumps ? Day 2

89 overs

Slatter 53(93)*
Harwood 4(12)*

Nicholson 3/51
Bollinger 1/71
Bradstreet 0/47
Krejza 1/56
Katich 2/28
Thornely 1/19

Victorian Bushrangers trail by 60 runs

Great story, hoping you can guide the bushrangers to a victory here 'gainst the odds

Well done, this is still my favourite story on here, I voted for it in Story Of The Month!

when i was little i thought that a test match would go from noon to like 9pm lol, and there was dinner and supper for the players

Loved the abuse bit. Hope this doesn't die down abit like my thread :crying. Just can't be bothered to update it.

Pura Cup ? Game 4
The MCG, Melbourne
29th November 2006

A good nights sleep after passing the second first class century of my career was followed by the early rise and then out to the centre of the MCG for the 3rd days play and the Victorians still behind the 8 ball.

My wake up call came early as I attempted a cocky glance off the pads expecting my good form to send that little leather ball to the fence however it lobbed off the bat and in the direction of Bradstreet at square leg with me on 55 which looked like it would break my morning. Luckily the second chance came my way as the catch went down and some did the Blues heads.

Now with a new sense of self-confidence I added a few big shots to the repertoire in search of some quicker runs to get the team as close to the NSW first innings total before the tail gave way. In just a couple of shots my score moved into the 60?s for the first time in my first class career.

A few runs later I was passed 60 but it didn?t take long before another leg glance rebounded awkwardly and this time Bradstreet made no mistake in taking the catch on 2 feet. Some times once you?ve made a mistake it?s hard to get back in the right frame of mind and today was a good example of what not to do after luck goes your way. Sill a career best of 62 in a pressure situation isn?t to bad I guess.

With just 15 before drinks the Victorians still need 40 rusn to gain first innings points at the MCG which is unlikely with there last wicket partnership to be shared between Harwood who has been a defensive wall this morning and the last man in Mick Lewis. No one even in the dressing room will be expecting them to stick around for long and it looks like we will be bowling to get back in the match in not to long from now.

Victorian Bushrangers 9/304
11:45am ? Day 3

99.4 overs

Slatter 62(119)
Harwood 10(50)*

Nicholson 3/71
Bollinger 2/72
Bradstreet 0/48
Krejza 1/56
Katich 2/28
Thornely 1/19

Victorian Bushrangers trail by 40 runs

Pura Cup ? Game 4
The MCG, Melbourne
29th November 2006

When Mick Lewis went out to bathe dressing room cleared out as most of the boys went off to get the whites on and prepared to bowl. Shane Harwood continued to remain solid and Mick Lewis hit around a few singles that got an interesting partnership going to an unbeaten 20.

Shane Harwood scores slowly​

All of a sudden the boys made there way back into the dressing room as the scoreboard ticked closer to the Blues first innings total. With a vital 2 innings points on the line runs started to be counted down and nervous New South Welshman gave encouragement to their bowlers trying to buy a wicket against the last two men out.

All of a sudden the boys are
watching the match closely

Mick Lewis took us past the Blues and brought up a very unlikely 50 partnership for the two tailenders that got the right amount of applause denying the Blue?s of there first points of the season in this innings and further rubbing salt into the wound as the partnership continued to lunch on day 3

The rooms are empty as the match get's interesting

Finally after 129 balls for his 31 runs and 15 minutes after lunch Shane Harwood was out LBW to the spin of Krejza to give the Victorians a 14 run lead which gives us first innings points should a draw occur. With 5 sessions of cricket to play and no sign of rain can the Blues now get back to where they once where in this match?

Victorian Bushrangers lead by 14 runs

Great effort from Mick and Stickers there. I guess Mick picked up some batting lessons from that ODI, ay? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread