Duncan Fletcher appointed as Indian Coach

Good decision we did not want Flower for sure atleast I.

Fletcher is a low profile in the means of media attention and hence that's the best thing.

Plus Eric Simmons tenure is increased so I see the bonding going stronger

well... it can only get worse for india so duncan fletcher has alot of pressure on his shoulders.

Fletcher worked wonders with the England side and as the article said they were the lowest ranked test side in the world when he took over and since then has taken them (with the addition of the new flower regime) to be one of the best teams in the Test arena.

However he was never very good in the OD arena so it could be interesting to see how the team do. Fletcher came up with some very weird ODI selection picks and parties.

It was definitely a shock to me to see him coaching India now and I have absolutely no idea how he will go and what sort of changes he will bring in. shocking.

England didn't exactly go downhill under Fletcher. It was perceived that he was bad for the one day side, but to be brutally honest, being England has never seemed like an advantage for any ODI team. Even now, with a substantially more talented side, their results are only marginally better.

The team is settled and we have a good pool of young players, so it wont be tough for Fletcher to take over. With this team whoever the coach is doesn't really matter much.

he was a bit of a meddler at england though, that seems the complete opposite of kirsten. though england perhaps did need more meddling then than this india side.

still, his defensive mindset will suit india.

Surprising decision. I thought the BCCI were going to wait before they decide on a coach but that was completely out of the blue. I thought Fleming would make a better choice as he shares a good relationship with Dhoni and has led CSK to IPL and CLT20 wins. Fletcher also has had his problems with the media (as Vaughan has also stated about it), so hope its not another Chappell episode. I guess Dhoni will make sure we dont run into many controversies.

Shocking, He came out of nowhere and is coaching India now. As somebody else said, I hope not a Chappell saga is repeated.

WTF? Way out of left field. I don't think this is a good idea.

Fleming, IMHO would have been an amazing choice. We'll see how this pans out.

I rate Fletcher very highly. Reckon that Vaughan is right when he says that he'll have a load of problems with the media though.

change in coach shouldnt make a huge difference. the ground work is set. a good crop of experienced AND young players. if the players keep working hard and india can find a decent pace pair somewhere to back up zaheer then they should carry on being successful for some time. fletcher must be a facilitator of talent.

Not happy with this decision, I would be happier our coach was Fleming.He have led the CSK side very well.
As others said, with the side India have currently, it won't be hard for Fletcher to settle as a coach.

I agree too. This is a good chance for Fletcher to improve his CV. But Fletcher will be under pressure to deliver when the old guard of Sachin/RD/Laxman retire (which could be within the two year contract that Fletcher has been given). One tough thing is, Fletcher has to go through the process of initiating a good relationship with Dhoni, which Fleming already had. Its so important for the coach to be in the same wavelength as the captain. Thats why I backed Fleming even more so because of the relationship he shares with MSD (who is not going to be moved even a tiny bit from his captaincy post probably until he gives it up).

Anyways, if Fletcher can live up to the good words given by his England team colleagues, he can serve India well. We need that series win in Australia badly! Thats our next goal (we have won a series in England recently in 2007 but another win there esp. when England is doing so well would be terrific).

Users who are viewing this thread