Education Thread

Who are better? Male or female teachers?

• Total voters
Sorry, I was talking to Matt about the university thing, should've made it clear. Thing is, he's not doing Psychology for a career. If he was, then fine. But from what I know, universities prefer if the student has atleast one of Maths, any science, or English.

Adarsh said:
Sorry, I was talking to Matt about the university thing, should've made it clear. Thing is, he's not doing Psychology for a career. If he was, then fine. But from what I know, universities prefer if the student has atleast one of Maths, any science, or English.

Thats rubbish. Certain courses require certain modules done at A-Level, but that is very rare nowadays. Now Universities look more at the points (credits) you gain. If that was the case, surely a Journalism course would require English? But as I said, that's not true.

Ill just back up James here for once, and i think a College student going up to University in a year or two, i would know that Uni's these days dont take students in on having English, Maths and Science, they expect students to have points (Credits)

You gain points on each piece of Assignment work set by the college, ill explain how it works;

At my particular college it works as

Pass (P) 2 points
Merit (M) 4 Points
Distinction(D) 6 Points

At the end of Year Two usually, the Uni will send out its points guide, and its usually 3 times the amount you got at College, so say i got 112, i would have a UCAS (Is that the lancashire college? dunno, i dont understand that bit about it) 336 - which as far as i can remember is in the top section.

As far as Psychology and Media studies they are very popular courses nationally! The Sciences and to an extent Further Math are going less popular, because BTECs are becoming a hell of alot more popular with those of the brain mass like mine, i couldnt handle A Levels, and ill hold my hand up and admit that!

Adarsh said:
Just a random question, James, how many hours a week do you study at uni for your course?

This year I'm doing about 14 hours a week on average of lectures and seminars.

This goes hand in hand with my 7 assignments due in the next 4 weeks.

JamesyJames3 said:
This year I'm doing about 14 hours a week on average of lectures and seminars.

:eek: Ouch. That's nearly 3 hours a day! Picked the wrong degree there, mate!
I was down to 3 hours a week by final year :) (and three assignments per year)

barmyarmy said:
:eek: Ouch. That's nearly 3 hours a day! Picked the wrong degree there, mate!
I was down to 3 hours a week by final year :) (and three assignments per year)

Yes, I know a few 3rd years around the country who have ridiculous time off, which doesn't make much sense to me!! But I hear a lot of people saying the 2nd year is the toughest, I am starting to agree with them...

Luckily for me, the course ive taken i can do a Starter Degree at the college, do any of you guys know what one is? because they havnt told us too much, but ive heard its beneficial

JamesyJames3 said:
Yes, I know a few 3rd years around the country who have ridiculous time off, which doesn't make much sense to me!! But I hear a lot of people saying the 2nd year is the toughest, I am starting to agree with them...

Yeah, honours (years 3 and 4) was easier than 1 and 2 in many ways. The essays/exams were marked tougher but we actually had less work to do. Plus of course we had our dissertation in 4th year...

im starting college/6th form next year

goign to do 3 A-levels

Biology is definitely one of them

then the other 2 come from

history, philosophy and ethics (a.k.a R.E), human biology, electronics

i should really make my mind soon

RE...why would you want to take that...you can't get any decent job with that in hand...its just a wate of time to me...

Last edited:
purely because i find it quite interesting

basically im going to do 2 that will help with my (well hopefully will be my) career, and a a thrid one as 3 A-levels looks better than 2, the third may aswell be on a topic i can enjoy

I was turned down by BBC East for work experience. I have only got a week to find a placement now. :(

Users who are viewing this thread