England in Australia

Yeh, no way that could be the best test innings ever.

Although without his innings, Australia would still be batting. He had a good innings but the main positive that came out of it was it helped them a reasonable target faster and allowed them a chance for a wicket or two and that's what they got.

why is everyone calling the ball that got andrew strauss out "straight" it swung back in even the commentators said that :S and Rudi Koertzen isnt the best umpire anyway should of given more lbws out in this test match and better decisions, i think they should of chosen Billy Bowden and Steve Bucknor

symonds_sixes said:
Considering it was the second fastest test 100, I think it was, nevermind the state of the game.

So in that case is Afridi's fastest ton ever the best innings of all time? :rolleyes:

EDIT: Whoops, it was Sir.Viv; Getting mixed up with ODI's there. :p

Chimp132 said:
why is everyone calling the ball that got andrew strauss out "straight" it swung back in even the commentators said that :S and Rudi Koertzen isnt the best umpire anyway should of given more lbws out in this test match and better decisions, i think they should of chosen Billy Bowden and Steve Bucknor

Because it pitched straight and swung in.

Stop moaning about LBW's anyway. It all balances out in the end and I wish people would just stop moaning about dodgy decisions.

Last edited:
Chimp132 said:

It swung back in late.

And everyone has different opinion's on an innings. Whether it is flawless or for quality or speed. In the lunch break Gilly said his innings of 49 against India in 04/05 was one of his best innings.

Good to see that Monty was the best bowler in amongst all the carnage. Anyway, time for a change in my signature, it's now the Giles v Monty average tracker!

I don't really see how you could fault Gilchrist's innings. It was certainly among the best I can remember in terms of flawlessness, perhaps that is because the average batsman faces 140 more deliveries en route to a hundred. You certainly reduce the chance of the good balls if you can play like that.

No one is faulting Gilchrist's innings. They are just merely saying that it wasn't one of the best innings ever. It was good, but nowhere near the best innings ever.

I feel that went well. All we need now is a record breaking run chase to regain momentum. :thumbup:

Im bewildered why G.Jones is still in the squad. He hasnt scored more than 40 runs for England in a while, his keeping, although good, i think Prior or Read might be worth a go, i know Prior isnt in the squad but he should be!

Read's circumspect (to say the least) front-foot technique would see him scoring a lot less than Jones in this series. He is simply out of his depth at this level.

evertonfan said:
Read's circumspect (to say the least) front-foot technique would see him scoring a lot less than Jones in this series. He is simply out of his depth at this level.

Lets face it, England doesnt have much luck when it comes to trying to get a great WK Batsmen!

At the moment id say Read for the next test, but then again, id say why change it, because by looks of it, either way we arnt going to get runs from the number 7 spot whatever we do.

After the Ashes Duncan Fletcher and his team needs to sit down and find out who they want as WK's in the national side because Jones/Read just arnt churning out the runs like Sangakkara does, or Gilchrist or Boucher!

Highly unfair me classing Jones/Read in the same sentence as them three, but we need a similar player at number 7!!!!!

As I said earlier, if Jones is the best you can get from a keeper-batsman, ditch the fifth bowler and bring in someone who can bat. Mahmood has clearly been treated as a waste of time and Anderson was thrown out much the same. Trouble is, Dalrymple doesn't necessarily fill one with confidence, even at seven.

Dalrymple is the wrong way to go!

If we scrapped the "extra" quick bowler like Mahmood or Anderson then id have to say chuck in Ed Joyce or Robert Key in there. Id go for Key, stick him in at 3, and move everyone down a slot, as our openers do tend not to stick around till England have seen of the shine, if Key was in the squad, it would give Bell/Collingwood/Pietersen that extra confidence, and would also help Flintoff out. Flintoff is bowling better than batting, so that would mean we had Harmison, Hoggard and Flintoff to fly in with the new ball, bring in Panesar and Pietersen (For a few overs) but then we still have Collingwood and Bell who can bowl a bit. Seems like a decent idea to me!

All England need is runs! Jones and Mahmood wont add them, so why not go with an extra batsmen, risky move, but it might work!

Yes, Joyce for Mahmood (providing the series is still on) would be a gambit that may pay off.

Users who are viewing this thread