England in Australia

manee said:
Yes, Joyce for Mahmood (providing the series is still on) would be a gambit that may pay off.

Joyce would be the wrong choice also in my opinion!

Key has had test experience, and did well in his 15 tests! Plus he is only 27 so if he got a try, then maybe he might turn out to be a great player!

evertonfan said:
Well considering that Key isn't in the squad then he has no chance of playing. :rolleyes:

He is in the acadamy based in Perth, therefore it would be such an easy callup for Fletch to make, drop Joyce!!!

What on earth are you on about? If Fletcher wanted to play Key he would have called him up instead of Joyce. Why oh why would he go and drop Joyce now when he hasn't even played?

evertonfan said:
What on earth are you on about? If Fletcher wanted to play Key he would have called him up instead of Joyce. Why oh why would he go and drop Joyce now when he hasn't even played?

This is my opinion Matt!

No one knows what Fletch thinks, i dont even think he does to be honest!

I'm not questioning your opinion, i'm saying there is no chance of it happening because Joyce is in the squad and Key's not.

haha gilly went crazy after a miscommunication.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20940350-5009880,00.html

They had no plans to declare they got a message wrong.
Was wondering why Gilly and clarke were laughing so hard and had a shocked look on there faces when someone came out with gloves for gilly and spoke with them.
The guy must have said something like, what are you guys doin
gillys response gettin quick runs fro declaration
guy then says wasnt going to be a declaration u read the signal wrong :)

Think his 50 was off just 40 balls then he went nuts shame he took so long with his first 50 runs :)

irottev said:
Now I can see why Panesar isn't being used for ODIs. Mahmood, I can't believe they ever used him.

Plunkett must play the dead rubber. Read must play it too.

No more Panesar in the attack :(

Montys barely played 10 List A games for Northants. He's got a brain in time I think he'll be able to play ODIs. Has to learn quickly though.

Well done Australia I didn't watch much today as I've got a chest infection, but from what I saw it seems like you punished us for missing chances, How easy was the chance Jones missed to stump Clarke? I saw his dropped catch from hussey and he should've left it for the outfielder.

Miserable day for England, Gilly was fantastic though and showed why Gilly>* With * being any other power hitter in current world cricket.

On days like this it's depressing but at least Aus played well to pummel us.

evertonfan said:
Read's circumspect (to say the least) front-foot technique would see him scoring a lot less than Jones in this series. He is simply out of his depth at this level.

Because Jones technique is so much better? Jones normally gets himself out rather than being outbowled by the bowler.

Read was dropped due to his form in a worthless ODI tournament, Jones keeping has been abject too.

I know which English Wicket-keeper is most likely to score big runs in Tests, but the selectors won't give him a chance.

angryangy said:
It's simply not bad luck when you leave the straight ones, just as it's not bad luck when you take a windy woof at a wide ball and get caught behind. If you're taking such risks, you know there's a chance you are getting yourself out.

Surely if it was missing the stumps (as hawkeye and with the naked eye suggested) then surely it was unlucky and was a good leave, even if chancing it a bit.

How depressed have I been all day. Ashes gone! I take my hat off to a vast superior Australian team. Gilly was marvellous, Michael Clarke and Hussey played some nice strokes.

Hopefully we put in a half decent batting performance to leave us with some positives.

Sureshot said:
Because Jones technique is so much better? Jones normally gets himself out rather than being outbowled by the bowler.

Read was dropped due to his form in a worthless ODI tournament, Jones keeping has been abject too.

I know which English Wicket-keeper is most likely to score big runs in Tests, but the selectors won't give him a chance.

I know Prior would do a beter job but i'm just sticking with what we've got to choose from. Jones is getting himself out at the moment whereas Read would be easy pickings for McGrath and co.

Prior has had a good season, and should be given a chance. Geraint Jones has had so many chances and failed.

But Jones is also, except with Jones he's also been poor with the gloves. Whereas I think Read is better in that department.

We have to try Read at some point, GoJo isn't working and as the series will be gone we have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

Just wondering why people are saying drop Joyce? He has a fantastic first class record for a poor team in Middlesex, and is a genuinely talented player. Key on the other hand had a poor season for Kent. It yet again looks like England have got their selection wrong. 4 bowlers worked for England against Pakistan who had a very strong batting lineup, and they've pretty much only used four bowlers in this match.

Still take nothing away from Australia throughout this series, at every key moment in every match they've been by far the better side. Granted the little bits of luck haven't gone Englands way, but the difference is Australia have taken every half chance and created more on top, whilst for England they haven't been able to do so.

In regards to Read v Jones debate, Jones may well look like he should score more runs, but he hasn't. Read has some form as shown by his 50 in the warmup game, and runs against Pakistan. Even if Read had been providing the odd 20-30 with one 50, he would have contributed far more than Jones, and no matter what people keep saying regarding Jones improvement with the gloves, Read is still the better keeper, especially standing up to the spinners.

For Sydney, even though I don't think Dalrymple has what it takes for test cricket, he would be a better selection than the 4th seamer, as without doubt he is more likely to get runs than any of the other bowlers, and probably at the moment than Freddie and Jones.

Edit - Sureshot - The stumping was to be fair to Jones a tough chance, but I have seen wicket keepers take them, and that is supposed to be his job. There was a lot of bounce but he never gathered cleanly, and quite often of the spinner he doesn't.

The skied pull of Hussey however was a poor call from him, it was always going to square leg, Kp had time to amble near it, yet Jones sprinting at full pace only just got anywhere near it.

Last edited:
Quite frankly i'm amazed that this bloke hasn't been given a go yet in this series;

collyps8.png

I've still got it Fletch. ;)

On a more serious note, England should use tomorrow as batting practice and valuable time in the middle. Bell and Cook should make the most of this opportunity as should Jones and Flintoff. There are still plenty of runs to be had in this pitch.

Users who are viewing this thread