England in Australia

Leicetser Fox said:
England are easily number 2 in the world and number 1 when our players are fit

England only just beat Australia in English conditions and we had the most convincing vistory of the entire series. Do you really think England would've won the series in 2005 if it was played in Australia?

puddleduck said:
If Read is given a chance in the last two tests and fails Sly, I expect them to give young Davies at Worcestershire a go providing he carries on his form from last year at the start of our summer. He looks our only real geniune hope of a world class batsman wicketkeeper. He's still mighty young though so his career has plenty of time to go either way.

Yea I don't know if Read will be there for the 09 Ashes as batting will probably prove the difference. First I've heard of Davies guess I can expect to see more of him in the near future. What happened to Prior he looked quite good.

aussie1st said:
Yea I don't know if Read will be there for the 09 Ashes as batting will probably prove the difference. First I've heard of Davies guess I can expect to see more of him in the near future. What happened to Prior he looked quite good.

Prior to be fair to him probably deserves a shot at some stage if only because his weight of runs and keeping to Mushtaq at Sussex has earnt him one, but he looked a little out of his depth in the Odis against India, although he wasn't alone on that front and most of that side still plays :p

Here's Davies' cricinfo profile - click here

For those that follow county cricket he gets talked about a lot as being the next England keeper, and a 1000 county runs in a season at 19/20 years old is a pretty good effort regardless. However he is still very young and has a while to go yet. He's a leftie as well, and if he ends up anywhere near Sangakarra and Gilchrist I'll be a happy chappy.

genghis_khan said:
I dont really agree with that whole 09 team thing, as irottev said alot can change in 3 years.

It's just a prediction, nothing more, nothing less.
There are people that like seeing what our team will be like in the future so it's more for them.

Leicetser Fox said:
England are easily number 2 in the world and number 1 when our players are fit

So you're saying that even though Australia has dominated Cricket
in emphatic fashion for over a decade (and recently), England's win in
the '05 Ashes puts them instantly above the Aussies? ...LMAO

If England is number 1, why didn't you buggers continue the success
straight after the '05 Ashes win? - Your players were almost all fit,
had plenty of match practice & wins, and were well tuned as a team.

Sniff, sniff - I smell a sore loser... :rolleyes:

if australia were to come to england and play our full strength team they'd be beaten

Leicetser Fox said:
if australia were to come to england and play our full strength team they'd be beaten
Come on, lets be serious for a minute. Remember, we only just won the Ashes in 2005. We're not really in a position to make statements like that.

Leicetser Fox said:
I withdraw my earlier statement. THIS is the dumbest comment of the year.

Well, it would definately be closer. But the main changes will be added Vaughan for Collingwood (meaning no hundred for him). Another captain may put pressure of Flintoff making him play at his best, infinately strengthening the middle order and bowling attack.

Simon Jones would also be in a full strengh England team and he would get many wickets.

Both would be very useful when England's main problems are finding a partner for KP and getting 20 wickets in the match.

But enough what ifs for now.

Leicetser Fox said:

It's possible I guess - it did happen in 2005, but I think we played poorly in 2005 as none of our batsmen averaged over 50 and only Shane Warne bowled well. Some of this can be put down to Englands good bowling of course, but mostly we shot ourselves in the foot IMO.

An interesting exercise when dealing in hypothetical matchups is this: ask yourself how many Englishmen would be selected for Australia?

Disregarding current injuries and poor form, hello Vaughan/Harmison/MacGill/Hayden(?), my ideal combined side would be:

1. Michael Vaughan (vc)
2. Matthew Hayden
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. Mike Hussey
6. Michael Clarke/Andrew Flintoff
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Shane Warne (c) lol...
9. Steve Harmison/Matthew Hoggard
10. Stuart Clark/Stuart MacGill/Monty Panesar
11. Glenn McGrath

Depending what choices are made, thats between 3-5 Englishmen in my ideal XI. Not bad, but they don't quite have enough ammo to be a constant #1 ranked team for me. Perhaps when Warne & McGrath pack it in, it will be more even.

I'm sorry, but every team in the World would take a fully fit and on form Andrew Flintoff in their side in a flash.

Regarding England's WK. I like the look of Davies, I think he bats at six as well, which is what I like as it gives him more time to spend at the crease in preperation for the longer form of the game. I'd like to see Prior first though, especially as he adds something to the batting.

Australia squad for fourth Ashes Test:
RT Ponting (capt), JL Langer, ML Hayden, ME Hussey, AC Gilchrist (wkt), A Symonds, SK Warne, SR Clark, B Lee, GD McGrath, MJ Clarke, M Johnson.

Probably just Johnson to miss out.

Users who are viewing this thread