England in Australia

MUFC1987 said:
I'm sorry, but every team in the World would take a fully fit and on form Andrew Flintoff in their side in a flash.

Regarding England's WK. I like the look of Davies, I think he bats at six as well, which is what I like as it gives him more time to spend at the crease in preperation for the longer form of the game. I'd like to see Prior first though, especially as he adds something to the batting.
Yes but if Andrew Symonds was fully fit and on form then any team in the world would take him also. However he isn't, neither is Flintoff.

To the person who quoted me:
sifter132 said:
Disregarding current injuries and poor form, hello Vaughan/Harmison/MacGill/Hayden(?), my ideal combined side would be:
I was reading that bit.

Seriously though, Symonds has somehow fluked his way into the Australian tema, no matter what form he's in an average of 20 with the bat and 40 with the ball isn't really going to get him in many sides.

MUFC1987 said:
To the person who quoted me:

I was reading that bit.

Seriously though, Symonds has somehow fluked his way into the Australian tema, no matter what form he's in an average of 20 with the bat and 40 with the ball isn't really going to get him in many sides.
Symonds isn't that great at Test Cricket thus far no, but everyone knows what he is capable of. His batting at full form is twice that of Flintoffs. To me Freddie is more a bowling all rounder than a true all rounder.

Scmods said:
Symonds isn't that great at Test Cricket thus far no, but everyone knows what he is capable of. His batting at full form is twice that of Flintoffs. To me Freddie is more a bowling all rounder than a true all rounder.
me too, I don't really rate him as a batsman

Sure Symonds might turn into a Test allrounder, but I can't see him being given the time he had in ODI's to turn it around. Surely the problem is that he's more of a batsman yet he averages less than 20, which is quite frankly diabolical. I fail to see how you rate him as such a great Test player, when he's not even second choice for Australia, a side which seems to want to find an Andrew Flintoff of their own.

I agree, Symonds will not ever be (and knows he won't be) a full time player
in the Australian Test squad as we're going through a slow transition of bringing
in younger and also experienced First Grade talent (age is not a big deal), like
Stuart Clark. Andrew Symonds will likely be replaced by Phil Jaques soon enough,
but there are others knocking on the door.

On a side note... It's fantastic to see the new Rookie (Stuart Clark) continuing
his impact with the ball into The Ashes. And better yet seeing him be the best
bowler in the series so far. I doubt England rated him highly before their tour
Down Under, I bet they rate him much different now. Go Sanfraz!!!

Again on a side note... I remember some England player (I think Flintoff) saying
last year that most of their team didn't have any scars from Australia.
Well they do now, and those scars run really deep, and the English press is
surely to make those scars just that little bit deeper when they get home.

Last edited:
symonds_sixes said:
me too, I don't really rate him as a batsman

He's been out of form that's for sure, as for whether he's a true all rounder or just a bowling all rounder upon which stats do you base it on?

He averages 40 with bat and 26 with ball since 2003-2004, I'd call that true all rounder. At this moment in time though he is out of form with the bat (despite yesterdays 50 odd).

Flintoffs fantastic but isn't quite the Freddie we* all know and love.

*May not include everyone :D

As for the leicester bloke who said England fully fit are number one....

Nah.

If you have both Aus and England injury free and both on form (say Australia since the Ashes and England of 2004 or last Ashes (I prefer the 2004 form tbh) I think Aus are definitely better. I don't think we can really reflect each side against each other this series (England not at the races plus Jones and Vaughan out) or the last Ashes when McGrath missed a couple of games and Aus not at the races.

Wouldn't it be fantastic if both teams fit and both on form for 2009? Our bowling has really let us down this series though especially as Jones would fill the 3rd seamer slot better than Saj or Jimmy. Huge 2007 for England though.

MUFC1987 said:
I'm sorry, but every team in the World would take a fully fit and on form Andrew Flintoff in their side in a flash.

Regarding England's WK. I like the look of Davies, I think he bats at six as well, which is what I like as it gives him more time to spend at the crease in preperation for the longer form of the game. I'd like to see Prior first though, especially as he adds something to the batting.

Davies was impressive last year, also because his glovework isn't dodgy like Jones can be. His glovework was very good.

We have to try a new keeper (not Jones or Read) we've struggled in that slot since the end of the 2004 English summer in that time Jones was alright.

would be damn funny if england replace fletcher with buchanan afer world cup

would really give the aussies a slap in the face if he helps england win 2009 ashes

Sureshot said:
Davies was impressive last year, also because his glovework isn't dodgy like Jones can be. His glovework was very good.

We have to try a new keeper (not Jones or Read) we've struggled in that slot since the end of the 2004 English summer in that time Jones was alright.
I'm not sure of the ages of these guys you mention, I presume they're all
reasonably young. So why not go with somebody who's a tad older and a
little better then these guys? (if there is anyone). In a short time I'm sure
a young guy with decent talent will eventually pop up in a couple of years
and could then replace the older guy in time for the World Cup & Ashes.

gambino said:
would be damn funny if england replace fletcher with buchanan afer world cup
There's nothing new about Aussies helping out English Cricket,
it's been happening for many years in all areas, from Academy to
international level. It wouldn't be funny, it would be simply 'normal'.
I doubt you would find many international England players that
haven't had some help in their cricket career from an Aussie.

Deep down, most Aussies would prefer England to be #2 then any other
nation (except maybe the West Indies), and what better way to do it then
help them. If they were #4 or lower, the Ashes wouldn't be the same,
and nor would the fantastic rivalry we have. So if you think J.Buchanan
coaching England (highly doubtfull) would really annoy us, think again.

Last edited:
James Foster for England keeper tbh. Davies is too young atm. But Davies must be second choice. he's good enough to push whoever is number 1 so the position is more competitive.

Well Jones is the oldest at 30/31 Read is about 28. Prior is 24 and Davies is 20.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ci/content/player/18675.html - Prior is my favourite, no doubt someone (probably Australian) will mention the fact he was born in South Africa.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/player/12450.html - Davies the promising youngster

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ci/content/player/19346.html - Read

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/player/15501.html - Jones, who has as many FC hundreds as Davies yet Davies has had one season of FC cricket.

Prior is my favourite but then I probably am biased towards him, he hit 141 off of 86 balls in the Pro40 against Glamorgan at home when we got 193 from 33 overs in a match after rain reduced the match time. He opens in OD cricket for us and varies from 5-7 in FC cricket. He's a very active player on the crease and is an attractive player, he plays and reads spin well and as a keeper he's quite consistent. He does deserve a chance for the Test team. Over 100 FC games too so he's got experience.

He only averages 20 for England in ODIs, in a few of the games he played as a batsman only which was quite odd as most thought he'd be the keeper then we could play a proper batsman for GoJo.

He's not the most consistent but he can make big runs.

I thought Prior was slightly older to be honest, so I'm surprised. I think he's the way to go for a while, as much as people argue, we need a Wicketkeeper who can get runs and Prior is that. He's capable of batting at 6 in my opinion if we need to even push Flintoff down the order to take some pressure off.

I assume Davies' career span is meant to say 2005-2006, as there is no way he played 28 games in a year.

Users who are viewing this thread