England in Australia

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2006/12/20/1166290604407.html

I'd say it's pretty much official and we will see the end of a career filled with controversey but also a career filled with success and excitement. I don't think he will retire in all forms because I remember hearing Warne saying that he wants to play another year or two at Hampshire before totally giving the game away.

Is this a new era for Australian cricket?? Martyn retires, Warne now, who's next?? Quite possibly McGrath will finish off as well along side with his best mate Shane Warne. When will Hayden, Langer and Gilchrist hang up their boots?? I'd say if all those players listed retire it will be the toughest 12-18 months in Australian cricket in the past decade.

s2sschan said:
Australia has a huge talent pool. I wouldn't worry about players retiring that much. MacGill is 36, but hopefully he'll be there for the next Ashes.

Pace bowling options are many for Australia. Mitchell Johnson and Shaun Tait being the foremost.

The Aussie talent pool is deep at the moment, despite wishful thinking by many England fans here.

That is true but bringing a large influx of new untested players is not good. We saw that happen to England in the ODI's and India have even tried that in recent past.

wfdu_ben91 said:
Yeah but will bowlers like Stuart Clark & Brett Lee fair so well with knowing the fact that they aren't being back up by Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath?
good point, they might crack under pressure, and i dont think Macgill will be there for the next ashes in thr 2008/2009 season i think. So we should start trailling White in our upcoming Zimbabwe tour, perfect place to trial our new players

i'd say langer and hayden will bow out at the end of the series as well, at least one of them. THen Gilly will go at the end of the world cup. Jeeprs, i was hoping they'd space it out a little. Mind you we have more than able replacements for all of them....except Warne that is.

I can't believe this.
Mcgrath and Warne, two of my idols, going :eek:
Sad day for cricket my friends, a sad day...

valvolux said:
i'd say langer and hayden will bow out at the end of the series as well, at least one of them. THen Gilly will go at the end of the world cup. Jeeprs, i was hoping they'd space it out a little. Mind you we have more than able replacements for all of them....except Warne that is.
well it wont be THAT bad if some retire in a bunch, not just a lot in a bunch cuz like i said a zimbabwe tour is good to trial new players cuz that tour doesn't matter

I don't see Hayden bowing out, TBH. I can see him wanting to go as far as he can possibly go until he gets dropped. I hope he does retire soon enough though because at the rate his going his stats are beginning to drop below which his ability reflects.

Langer coming out and retiring wouldn't supprise me but.

Hayden will not retire as he still seeks to cement a spot in the ODI team and possibly for the WC. I'd say if Hayden is not selected in the WC squad, he will strongly consider retirement. I'd say Langer is the next most likely casualty as he really has nothing more to achieve.

Well this year looks to be the 1st year where he hasn't registered over 1000 runs in a calendar year since his resurrection is 2001. Featuring only 1 century & 3 scores in the 90s.

when you put it that way.... Hayden is hanging off the boat mroe than i thought, i knew he was out of form but geez. He might hang up his boots cuz of his poor form and knowing he cant help his fellow country

Hayden doesn't seem that sort of player to me. The sort of chap that would have to be kicked, kicking and screaming, from the side before he would ever walk away. I think he will always believe a big score is just around the corner.

Well I wouldn't say his in bad form by all means. His been striking the ball as good as he ever has. He just needs to get his head like (like he did in Perth and post Ashes last year) and grit out a good innings.

Blimey, you guys are falling apart at the seams. Next Series against Bangladesh? I'd be worried if I was you. :D

Wow, this is huge news, but dare I say it - it's good news, even for Aussies. If we plan to keep the Ashes in 2009, that means getting rid of our deadweight as soon as possible and blooding the players that will actually be taking part.

Warne's loss will be the greatest, as the value of having a great spinner is something we've taken for granted for around 12-13 years. And nothing against MacGill, but I'd love to see them pick someone younger for the next series - someone who we'll be relying on in 2009.

Users who are viewing this thread