England in Australia

this is a massive loss for the aussies and they are legends however being english i cant say im glad to have the years of being destroyed by them are over with. it will probably end up being macgill for warne but who will replace mcgrath

Unbelievable news. The end of an era for syre. Warne without doubt the best spinner ever and McGrath the best paceman ever too. Ever since I first watched cricket in 97, I alway loved watching McGrath tear teams apart and I was constantly baffled as to how his 80mph trundlers used to take wickets. His subtle variation that he puts on to the ball with his wrist has really made up for his lack of pace and even nowadays he is still capable of bowling those amazing spells; As we saw on the 4th day at Perth. As for Warne, he's the highest wicket-taker in Test cricket history and he's probably have another 100 more if not for thge banning in 2003. Tremendous players the both of them and i'm sad to see them go.

evertonfan said:
Unbelievable news. The end of an era for syre. Warne without doubt the best spinner ever and McGrath the best paceman ever too. Ever since I first watched cricket in 97, I alway loved watching McGrath tear teams apart and I was constantly baffled as to how his 80mph trundlers used to take wickets.

McGrath use to be alot quicker than that. I remember him getting up towards 90mph in the 99 World Cup. Was a few years ago I know but he got close. ;)

Last edited:
stevie said:
McGrath use to be alot quicker that that. I remember him getting up towards 90mph in the 99 World Cup. Was a few years ago I know but he got close. ;)

Admittedley he was quicker back in the day, but he's never bowled consitently in the excess of say, 87+mph. I'd say 85 has been his benchmark since about 2001/2.

evertonfan said:
Warne without doubt the best spinner ever and McGrath the best paceman ever too.
I'd say there are doubts over both of those actually.

evertonfan said:
Well it was my opinion wasn't it? So there are no doubts in my opinion.
Perhaps if you said it was your opinion, I might have been able to figure it out.

Well given that I wrote it in my own post I thought that would have been pretty self-explanatory. With all these arguments about the keeper's spot you don't say people saying 'In my opinion Davies is better', or 'In my opinion Jones' keeping is sub-standard compared to Foster's' etc. You just assume that's their opinion as it's in their post because neither are solid fact statements are they?

Warne's without a doubt the best spinner the game has seen. McGrath on the otherhand, his been great but I wouldn't reconigse him as the best pacemen. He had gun-barrell straight accuracy but I thought he struggled to those who attacked him, used their feet against him or batted outside their crease to him.

Warne is defiantly the best spinner in the world ever. Who was better?

McGrath, probably not the best paceman ever though sorry to say. There have been so many greats.

I have to agree with those here that say that Shane Warne is possibly the best spin bowler the game has seen. There can be debates over the number one of all time, and no doubt Murali fans will say that he is the best spin bowler in modern times, and perhaps since cricket's birth. But for my money, I would chose Warne over all. The package he brings ensures it swings in his favour. He is a showman, he's a leg spinner (which in my opinion brings something brilliant in the way of variety to the game, and not many can do it), he's a character and the one person you can always throw the ball to in times of crisis. He never ever gives up. In the second test, when even most of the Aussie players were doubting if a result was possible by their own admission, he was the one that kept believing they could win. Even if they needed three wickets in one over to win, he'd believe it was possible. He's also been a very useful batsman too to add to his positives. Quite simply he brought a new dimension to cricket in the modern era.

And McGrath, again where do you start? Not the fastest, and sometimes you can get amongst him. Very rare though. But again, in my opinion, one of the finest seam bowlers the game has produced. I've jokingly hated him over the years, always moaning, always whingeing, and always getting English wickets. But as a cricket fan, you have to stand back and say that he's been fantastic. Accuracy personified, and another with a never say die attitude. And he alone, probably denied someone of the calibre of Mike Atherton from reaching a career end very good average in the late forties. What a great duel that used to be, I'll bet Athers still has sleepness nights over McGrath! If the rumours are true, it will be a great boost for the English and the other Test Nations, but a great, great loss to the game as a whole.

just wondering....ive been watching some of the news coverage of warne's retirement but i cant figure out who said that he is going to retire?...does anyone know?...has warne released an official or unofficial statement?....i'm still not covinced (or im just in denial!)

btw channel nine is gonna show a highlight reel of warne's career after the weather in about 5 minutes

skinnywicket said:
just wondering....ive been watching some of the news coverage of warne's retirement but i cant figure out who said that he is going to retire?...does anyone know?...has warne released an official or unofficial statement?....i'm still not covinced (or im just in denial!)

btw channel nine is gonna show a highlight reel of warne's career after the weather in about 5 minutes

No body is Bigger than the game the game will move on after paying due respect to them.These two are the true legends.

Hayden,Langer,Gilly will also go after the world cup then we will be back to competitive and interesting cricket again

Cricket_god said:
No body is Bigger than the game the game will move on after paying due respect to them.These two are the true legends.
I agree with you...but what source is the news coverage getting this story.

In the UK it's just been reported as Channel 9 saying it, rather than a particular person.

Users who are viewing this thread