England in Australia

He needs more training, he actually seems to have some talent with the bat. His shot selection is slightly too flamboyant and he needs to work on defense technique.

manee said:
His defense outside off stump is so poor that the sweep was probably the safer option. Also the ball kept low, so don't blame him totally.

His defence (note it's seplt with a c) outside off stump is ok, poor shot selection was the problem. Monty can bat, certainly better than alot think.

England squad for ODI series.

England squad: J Anderson, I Bell, P Collingwood, J Dalrymple, A Flintoff, E Joyce, J Lewis, S Mahmood, P Nixon, M Panesar, K Pietersen, L Plunkett, C Read, A Strauss, C Tremlett, M Vaughan.

No captain named as yet.

Can't understand why they continue to pick Mahmood. Nixon ahead of Prior or Jones is a surprise.

Paul Nixon? Jesus! I though he was good, but too old for an England call-up. Brave move by the selectors.. he's 36 and averages 24 with the bat in list-a... but he is a good captain and gives a lot of vocal support to his players. And the only wicketkeeper to wear a gumshield :D.

cricketmad09 said:
Obviously Symonds is in because they are looking for that all-rounder type. If that is the case, I reakon McDonald should be given a go. The bloke has scored 500 runs in Pura Cup with an average of over 100, and has a bit more to his bowling than Symonds does, who is really just a good part timer, not an all-rounder.
McDonald doesn't offer more than Symonds does in the bowling department. Symonds can seam and swing the ball as well as bowl conventional off-spin and darting off-spin.

Fair enough, the squad is largley for the CB series so I thought my comment would have been appropriate. Wouldn't be the first time i've been proven wrong.

To be honest, I think the Twenty20 or even the whole one day series should be before the test series so that a majority of players will be warmed up and in good match practice.

Also; now that the Ashes have been won, the rest of the series has a huge fleeting importance which is reducing with every match Australia win. England's only hope is to salvage the one day series and that is unlikely to happen.

I don't know about that Manee.

Still great experience for most of the players particularly Bell, Cook, Panesar and Mahmood, maybe Read if he plays.

Its obviously a gamble and has just two series in which to pay off.

Users who are viewing this thread